BMW Werkz banner

My M3 Finally Here! (large Pictures)

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  projal147 
#1 ·
Well, After much shopping for the perfect M3, I think i've gone and done the BMW owners club proud!

So here she is...

M3 Main
M3 Close
M3 Side
M3 Int

Few Figure for you all:

Mileage - 97,000
Full BMW Service History
Totally Standard
4 New Tyres
12 Month Parts & Labour Warranty Inc. VANUS System

Cost: £7500 (approx. $15,500)

Just a shame the Insurance is about the same cost (I'm 19!) But Hey, spend the money whilst I've got it :)

#8 ·
The stock air intake on the m3s is extremely constricting for that engine. The cold air intake type system will open it up to breathe better. The stock air box is on there to keep it "quiet!" The intake sounds great, and it also lets the engine get more air. Now when you add it with an exhaust you boots the car 20 hp. I have the intake on mine and my new exhaust is coming from UUC Motorwerks in about a week. I would HIGHLY reccommend the intake, trust me, the sound and the performance is noticeable above 4500 RPM!
Corey :driving

#11 ·
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Apr 19 2005, 10:18 PM
The stock air intake on the m3s is extremely constricting for that engine. The cold air intake type system will open it up to breathe better. The stock air box is on there to keep it "quiet!" The intake sounds great, and it also lets the engine get more air. Now when you add it with an exhaust you boots the car 20 hp. I have the intake on mine and my new exhaust is coming from UUC Motorwerks in about a week. I would HIGHLY reccommend the intake, trust me, the sound and the performance is noticeable above 4500 RPM!
Corey :driving
[snapback]334930[/snapback]​

You should notice he is from england (euro spec) and do not have the same intake as you.
Last dyno I saw with this tested was a gain of 6hp if you ran completely without filter and airbox.

At the same time a free flowing (absorption type) rear silencer was tested.
Dyno curve was exactly the same with stock exhaust and with the "performance" one.

The restriction(small one however) is in the first part of the exhaust.

#12 ·
It all depends on the Dyno and the conditions. if you change the Mass air flow sensor, put a free flow exhaust and the right intake, plus better plugs and a better wire set, I am pretty sure that you could 20hp.
I forgot that is a european spec M3, the intake and exhaust is still a good upgrade to open the engine up. :driving

#13 ·
Each set of comparisons were made right after another.
So the dyno and conditions were exactly the same.

Performance exhaust, including cat replacements, airbox removal kit, and a dynotune usually net you around 25hp.

Replacing the cats with cat replacements are the most worthwhile exhaust upgrade on the euro M3's. But replacing the cats with straight pips makes you loose power.

It was also tested what a drop in filter would do.
Dynoed exactly the same power with stock filter and no filter at all in the airbox.

#14 ·
Cool, I like the cold air intake for the sound if not the power. You seem to know a lot about extra power. I am trying to squeeze all the power out of mine that I can before I supercharge it. Any suggestions that will help and a website to find the parts? So far I have a short shift kit, lightweight flywheel, transmission mounts, intake, exhaust, Chip, cross brace, strut tower brace, and all new crossdrilled prakes with Pagid Pads. I want to know now what I can do to boost the hp! :driving

#15 ·
I wanna keep mine as standard as possible, they sell much easier if they are. Also insurance in the UK is a real problem.

I shall have to see about getting a cold air intake, I dont want no boy racer K&N or pipercross on it, just looks stupid next to the big Straight 6 ;)

#19 ·
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Apr 20 2005, 12:24 AM
Cool, I like the cold air intake for the sound if not the power. You seem to know a lot about extra power. I am trying to squeeze all the power out of mine that I can before I supercharge it. Any suggestions that will help and a website to find the parts? So far I have a short shift kit, lightweight flywheel, transmission mounts, intake, exhaust, Chip, cross brace, strut tower brace, and all new crossdrilled prakes with Pagid Pads. I want to know now what I can do to boost the hp! :driving
[snapback]334990[/snapback]​
Not sure about the US engine. But hotter cams might be the next step, probably isn't a good idea to change them now if you intend to SC it later though.

Is the ITB setup from the euros used/tested on the US engines?

Here after what you have done the next things usually is hotter cams, CF airbox and a proper tune.

The CF airbox/intake is not better because of it being CF, it's just called that commonly. Replaces the airbox and plenum, everything before the TB's.

#20 ·
Insurance over here is a joke. M3 is whats known as group 20E. Thats the same grouping as a ferrari or bentley. It's costing me £3800, about $7500 for a years insurance.

How much do you pay in the states? Remember that fuel over here is 93p /litre...over there you probably pay a quarter of that for a gallon. (3.4litres = 1 gallon, M3 = 15mpg. Cost to run = VERY expensive. Approx $300 a month in fuel)

#21 ·
I think I am going to Supercharge my M3. It costs me to insure a Tahoe Z71, an 89 325i and a 98 M3, for all THREE cars, $1750 a year. Gas is expensive for the states now though, it is up to about $2.25 a Gallon, $2.50 some places. I know, do I want cheese with my whine, but it is expensive. Sorry to hear about your prices, DAMN, that's nuts! :driving

#22 ·
DUDE, I LOVE THAT E-BRAKE HANDLE. i knwo people are raving about your gorgeous car, and believe me i love it as much as them but that handle really caught my eye!

#24 ·
nice car, but why don't you change those rims?

#25 ·
Don't change the rims! I will do everything, including a supercharger, before I change the rims, to have a sleeper that no one knows is fixed up is more fun than to have a car that looks like you spent a fortune on it! :driving

#26 ·
The handle is standard on the eurospec as far as I know. I did have a site where you could buy ALL Mtech parts from but i forgot the address! doh!

I needed an M badge for the front grill.

I quite like the rims, they're in very good condition. I might switch up to some Alpina's when I got some spare cash. A few rust bubbles to sort first though, and a new backbox

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.