More E36 M3 Power - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2005, 11:36 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
StrictlyBMW is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
So I have already purchased the basics; a cold air intake, exhaust and chip. What should I buy next to make more power without getting into the big money like turbochargers, superchargers, or getting inside the engine? What are some good bolt-ons that will make good power and not cost me a fortune?

Marcus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 10:53 AM
n00b

Cebola_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
You could by exhaust headers, and camshafts.

Or a MOTEC M800
#3 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 06:36 PM
1st Gear Member

DoTheDew is an unknown quantity at this point
Crank Pulleys!!!!
#4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 07:18 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
What car are we talking about. e36 M3 could be OBDI or OBDII, these are very different cars. If you say you have a chip, I'm guessing it's a 1995, but wanna make sure before I start spewing ideas.

#5 (permalink) Old 02-08-2005, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
if it is 96+ get a m50 intake manifold

turbo 2.8
cp pistons, eagle rods, gt35r, tec3
#6 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Neutral Member

///M Dream is an unknown quantity at this point
you could try to lighten up you car so that you can decrease your power to weight ratio. the power you have now, will feel a lot stronger if the car is lighter.
#7 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
n00b

StrictlyBMW is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 99' E36 M3 and I said chip before just to be basic. I really have a Conforti Shark Injector with the Conforti Cold Air Intake and the UUC System "U" exhaust. Pulleys were what I was thinking about next. Who makes great pulleys for a 99' E36 M3? I was looking at Turner and Rogue Engineering. Any other suggestions?
#8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 04:34 PM
n00b

Cebola_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by StrictlyBMW@Feb 10 2005, 12:51 AM
I have a 99' E36 M3 and I said chip before just to be basic. I really have a Conforti Shark Injector with the Conforti Cold Air Intake and the UUC System "U" exhaust. Pulleys were what I was thinking about next. Who makes great pulleys for a 99' E36 M3? I was looking at Turner and Rogue Engineering. Any other suggestions?
[snapback]288800[/snapback]
Go for the Supersprint headers or the scrinch camshaft...... they give you mutch more power than the pulleys.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:27 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Not a fan of power pulleys. There are few aspects of BMW that are poorly designed and engineered, but the cooling system is certainly one of them. Underdriving the water pump just doesn't seem like a great idea, nor does it seem bright to underdrive the alternator, the lifeblood of the car'selectronics. To me, this seems like something I would do way later on, or to a car I only tracked.

I would work on making the car work better. Continue to try and make the car more efficient without any downsides. Improving the CFM beyond a CAI (headers, M50 manifold, larger AFM, larger throttle body with ASC delete), or even hotter cams.

#10 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:54 PM
2nd Gear Member

B_w. is an unknown quantity at this point
a crank pulley will give you some good gains

turbo 2.8
cp pistons, eagle rods, gt35r, tec3
#11 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 12:02 AM
WOT in Reverse

Quote:
Originally posted by B_w.@Feb 10 2005, 10:54 PM
a crank pulley will give you some good gains
[snapback]289695[/snapback]
mmmm used , Turner has the following to say regarding such:

"We do not believe it is safe to change the crankshaft pulley due to the potential harm to the crankshaft. "

That's right in the middle of Turner's ad for the power pulley kit

#12 (permalink) Old 02-11-2005, 04:00 AM
1st Gear Member

DoTheDew is an unknown quantity at this point
Thats only if you have a lightwieght flywheel in as well. Its either one or the other. I know of many people who have been running pulley no problem. Its Power waiting to be free'd up. I suggest URI Power Pulley
#13 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
WOT in Reverse

Yeah Dew, I know how it works, but it's not free power, it does come at a price. Like I said you underdrive other components of the car, that I wouldn't. I'm sure you know lots of folks that haven't had any problems with them, but that's not to say they haven't increased the likelihood of catastrophic coolant failure.

it's just a matter of opinion, and like I said, I'm not a fan of underdriving an already poorly designed system.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)