M5 Conversation - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-15-2004, 03:32 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bret is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hey guys,

I'd like to see some more chatter about M5's. Most all the conversation here is about M3's.

I would think that most people who could afford an M3 could likewise afford an M5, or is it a money issue? Is it that most of you M3 owners don't want a 4 door even if it's an M5? For me a 4 door was a requirment as I have 2 kids and the rear seat of an M3 just isn't practical for everyday real life use.

Those who currently have an M5, what do you think about the new M5? I'm not sure that it will be much of a leap forward from the current M5. While the horsepower is increasing substantially, the torque is not. The incremental horsepower comes in the expanded RPM range, which would rarely be used on the street except for rare occassions. Therefor, for most daily driving, would you really feel much of a difference? Also, the new body style has not really grown on me yet. I'm more intriqued about an M6 convertible as it's convertible with a full size back seat.

Are there many M5 owners in the northeast that read this forum. If so, anyone interested in putting together/attending an M5 owners event for next summer?(all BMW owners would of course be welcome)

Also interested in hearing from people with high miles on their cars. While I drive a car hard, I'm not abusive. Most people I know say they would never buy a car after I owned it, but my vehicles tend to be much more trouble free then theirs. I just hit 50K and have the original clutch. I've heard many horror stories about the clutches in the M5's, but I think it's due to overly hard/abusive driving. Who out there is holding the record for most miles on the original clutch?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 05:46 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you curently own an M5? What year? I'm starting to do some research on this car (2001)... Haven't found much. You did mention about clutch horror stories. Can you tell us a bit about it?
Mmaybe some other M5 members will jump in the conversation.

Thanks

LOS
#3 (permalink) Old 12-17-2004, 05:47 PM
What? No Autobahn?

jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile jrhaile
how about this... I want a freaking m5!

#4 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 03:29 AM
Neutral Member

BaLLZacK has a little shameless behaviour in the past
How bout this, does anyone if you could stick an M5 engine in a E36 m3? That would be awesome...

<span style='color:blue'>Got BaLLz?</span>
#5 (permalink) Old 12-18-2004, 11:22 PM
2nd Gear Member

alanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alanh
it sprobaly a combination for choosing the m3 over the m5, my dad choose the m5 cause he thinks he needs the extra space, regardless of the price, when you get into those numbers theres not much point in spending that kind of money fro not exactly what you want...for the m5 guys. but the m3 guys...cheaper, close less weight, smaller.

oh yeah the new m5 will haul ass, but totaly impractical (even more than the last model)... and from what i hear the new m6 is supposed to have an extra 50 horse, and probaly weigh less(coupe at least) the convert i'm sure will be ridiculous though(cost$$$)

about the clutch from what i've heard its really just people to can't drive stick/can't drive the m5 with a stick(which is why the new m5 only comes in SMG)
cuase with that much power i can imagine people eating the clutch, if you can't drive it...

Self-Proclaimed Genius

#6 (permalink) Old 12-19-2004, 12:57 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
M5's give me boners.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:01 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
LOS,

Yes, I have a 2001 which just hit 50K miles. Silver/black with wood grain trim.

When I was looking, I'd been told that the sport interior (two tone) only came with the silver interior trim. I've since seen 2 cars with the two tone interior and wood grain trim. I don't like the silver interior trim because it scratches easily exposing the black primer or plastic beneath the silver color coat.

Regarding clutches, I've heard/read that early 2000's had a design defect with some plastic piece within the clutch. Other than that I've heard that a relatively high percentage of these cars get a new clutch during the 36K mile warranty period. I've heard that BMW has eaten the cost of the new clutch in most cases if the person is the original owner and makes enough noise, even though BMW feels the problem is related to abusive/aggressive driving.

Are you looking to get a M5 or just having fun looking?
#8 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:11 AM
1st Gear Member

PJV 528 is an unknown quantity at this point
M5's are great-400bhp and the ability to take the whole family to disney world in comfort! M3's are more sporty and will suite the bachelor much better. But at the end of the day they are both fantastic and beautiful cars!

Ill have mine soon!!

<a href='http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1118083' target='_blank'>Check out my ride!!!</a>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>(From Family Guy) Brian to peter: Well peter you've only got a couple hours left. If your gonna pull a party outta your ass you might wanna stand up!</div>
#9 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Bret,
Thanks for the information.
I'm actually considering in getting a 2001 or newer. I own a '97 540i and very happy with it. I was not aware of the cluth problem (maybe not a problem) but it's good to keep that in mind when buying one. The 540's don't seem to have that problem. I guess the M5 uses a heavy duty one.
I live in Souther California and found one with over 70k miles. I saw it last weekend, beautiful car but the high miles kept me from getting it. Also, I would like to do my homework before spending 50k.
Again, thanks for the info...

LOS
#10 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Hello... and welcome to the forums...

As I write this I am also going to put out there.. that these following statements are all my own opinion.. nothing more..

The M3 and the M5 present two different levels of comfort, lifestyle and revenue. The M3 with its 333 HP two door coupe or a convertible.. its more suited for the younger... thrill seeking guy... as the M5 is more of an older, more family oriented guy type of thrill.

Now.. price wise... they are both still above 50K either way you look at it... and yes... many who get one.. can get the other... just depends on your own wishes..

As for the new M5... Its another ploy that in my mind is unlikely to turn into a legend. Now if you actually look at the history on this one.. it took maybe 4 years for each model to come to the liking of the public... (BMW fans mainly)... as many of us know... there is a great dislike... with the new Bangle moves and lines... but as you look at history... it might as well follow suit with the others.... or will it... If I remember correctly.. there was never this much dislike with the other e30, e36 and e46 year model styling... but hey... things might change...

As for the HP issue... and well the Bangle issue... they both fall under what many call 'a step ahead production advertising stunt' which mainly puts them a step ahead of other companies with style... power... and technology.. because thats mainly what they think the buying person wants. Its all a huge game... keep getting bigger and better... and sooner or later... you will run out of loose ends.. and fall back on what BMW is known for .. and thats building the most sound hard car... with all of the tech you can put into it for the level of technological achievement.. in short... BMW will soon come around.. and the liking of the new look and power.. will find its way.. just like the others have...

Or will it?

Insights?

Peace,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#11 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 02:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
LOS & LES,

Regarding the age group/lifestyle issue, that's pretty much what I thought and was looking to hear what M3 guys had to say, such as you have.

Regarding being scared off by 70K miles. As long as you get a proper price adjustment to reflect the mileage don't be afraid of it. I only paid $50K when my '01' was 35 months old with 35K miles. I couldn't possibly see paying over $40K for a '01' now with 70K miles. Bargain hard, espescially at this time of year (winter and x-mas). If you're pockets are deep enough there was a post not long ago about a 2003 with 8K miles that you probably could get for $60K.

Right now miles are expensive, but it's meaningless later on. Example - You look at 2 '01's, one with 20K miles and one with 60K miles. The price will probably be $5-$8K different. But after owning the car for 10 years and putting 120K on it, one car would have 140K miles while the other has 180K and the car is 14 years old. At that point, the value of the car will be tied to it's physical appearance, not it's odometer.

My winter beater/tow vehicle is a Ford Taurus SHO with 224K miles and it still runs great, but burns a little oil.
#12 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 04:23 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Here's a website from someone who's putting an M5 engine in a e36 chassis http://www.sebastiaanvanbaarsen.com/v8.htm
Ask me for info when needed!

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#13 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Dec 21 2004, 04:23 PM
Here's a website from someone who's putting an M5 engine in a e36 chassis http://www.sebastiaanvanbaarsen.com/v8.htm
Ask me for info when needed!
[snapback]255748[/snapback]
Yea.. question...

What does that have to do with the topic?

Les

#14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
It's a little of topic indeed. But I thought it could be interesting because of the M3 - M5 discussion here.... Cool to get best of both worlds; M5 engine fitted into an e36 (not sure if it is an M3). Furthermore there's less useful information on that website and I know that a member from here is doing that swap. The only thing I can do is give his username when someone needs more details.

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 09:32 PM
Been here a while.

Werd.. just wondering...

Les

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)