M3 Smg-ii Jerking Problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 05:32 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
graffarid is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have a 2004 M3 with SMG, I have about 10k miles on it I just purchased it from a dealer. I have never had SMG gearbox before and was thinking that the jerking problem usually when you take off (feels like you release your clutch too fast if you are driving manual). But after I test drove brand new 2005 M3 with SMG I didn't notice this problem. I took this car to the BMW center and they are claming that car drives fine and that jerking is normal for SMG because the engine is too powerful.

Another issue I have is something downshifting shakes the car and doesn't downshift as smooth as it should.

Anyone here had the same problem? Or knows what could be causing this?
graffarid is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 08:19 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Slvr e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 3,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
sorry to let you know this buddy, but that is normal, my Dad's 03' M3 with SMGII does the same thing and I have heard others with the same story. However, it is not totally because the engine is too powerful (only partially the problem) if you notice, it happens when it is downshifting into first and you press on the gas before it has completely downshifted.

As for the jerky downshifts, it is supposed to add enough gas on the downshifts to make it smooth on its own but sometimes I even tap the gas when I downshift to make it more smooth and so I have my foot ready on the gas while going into a turn after a downshift. Although, it could also be driver error if you are downshifting to too low of a gear at too high of a speed...SMG doesn't stop you from doing much, as it is a manual transmission and they wanted the driver to have as much control as possible

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions because I have done some reasearch on this topic

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
Slvr e39 is offline  
#3 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:25 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
graffarid is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks buddy this is helpful. well the more I drive it the less I have the jerking when I take off so taking of doesn't concern me as much as the fact that when SMG downshifts when I break (does it automatically in any mode) I get this downshifting gear noise and car shakes a little bit.
Have you heard of Dinan SMG software update? What do you think about it?


Quote:
Originally posted by Slvr e39@Dec 7 2004, 06:19 PM
sorry to let you know this buddy, but that is normal, my Dad's 03' M3 with SMGII does the same thing and I have heard others with the same story. However, it is not totally because the engine is too powerful (only partially the problem) if you notice, it happens when it is downshifting into first and you press on the gas before it has completely downshifted.

As for the jerky downshifts, it is supposed to add enough gas on the downshifts to make it smooth on its own but sometimes I even tap the gas when I downshift to make it more smooth and so I have my foot ready on the gas while going into a turn after a downshift. Although, it could also be driver error if you are downshifting to too low of a gear at too high of a speed...SMG doesn't stop you from doing much, as it is a manual transmission and they wanted the driver to have as much control as possible

Hope that helps, let me know if you have more questions because I have done some reasearch on this topic
[snapback]245558[/snapback]
graffarid is offline  
#4 (permalink) Old 12-07-2004, 11:55 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!
 
Slvr e39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Saratoga, CA
Posts: 3,867
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Well, what I would do would be to go to the dealership and get the latest SMG computer update first (you may have it but its worth checking) Ask all the questions you can about that downshift problem, it may not be a problem at all, as you know SMG can be quite jerky sometimes and it is possible that it is normal. I actually love everything about our M3 (except the bucking, which has never affected me personally, only the rest who drive it).

Well anyways, after checking for all updates then I would proceed to get the Dinan software. Dinan is a very great company and known for its exellence so I wouldn't worry about it making anything worse, although it may give it a little more preformance and from the sound of it that is the opposite of what your after. It may fix all the problems completely, just if it does, let us know...

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
Slvr e39 is offline  
#5 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 12:26 AM
5th Gear Member
 
BMWLotAttendant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Kansas, USA
Posts: 1,064
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWLotAttendant is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to BMWLotAttendant Send a message via MSN to BMWLotAttendant
Oh good...I thought it was something I was doing...while driving around the lot. I wouldn't go that fast....maybe shift from 1st to 2nd...and when slowing down...I'd jerk a couple times...and then once acclerate...it would go away....

Thanks for the clarification...

My manager doesn't think I know how to drive SMG...pshhhhh whatever.
BMWLotAttendant is offline  
#6 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 02:26 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
graffarid is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I did check with my BMW center for an SMG update and was told that there is no recall on my car.
I'm suspecting that the reason why it jerks it only me. I've had this car for less than a month and noticing that the more I drive it the more I notice all the tricks. Lets see what happens.
I'd be nice to know what exactly Dinan SMG update does and if it makes gear shifting smoother.

Does any of you guys put the car on the neutral when you brake it?
graffarid is offline  
#7 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:10 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
jags is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by graffarid@Dec 7 2004, 03:32 PM
I have a 2004 M3 with SMG, I have about 10k miles on it I just purchased it from a dealer. I have never had SMG gearbox before and was thinking that the jerking problem usually when you take off (feels like you release your clutch too fast if you are driving manual). But after I test drove brand new 2005 M3 with SMG I didn't notice this problem. I took this car to the BMW center and they are claming that car drives fine and that jerking is normal for SMG because the engine is too powerful.

Another issue I have is something downshifting shakes the car and doesn't downshift as smooth as it should.

Anyone here had the same problem? Or knows what could be causing this?
[snapback]245423[/snapback]
it's a recall issue...
jags is offline  
#8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM
n00b
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 7
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
graffarid is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
then i guess mine doesn't have that issue...
graffarid is offline  
#9 (permalink) Old 12-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Science Roolz!
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 7,043
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally posted by BMWLotAttendant@Dec 8 2004, 12:26 AM
Oh good...I thought it was something I was doing...while driving around the lot. I wouldn't go that fast....maybe shift from 1st to 2nd...and when slowing down...I'd jerk a couple times...and then once acclerate...it would go away....

Thanks for the clarification...

My manager doesn't think I know how to drive SMG...pshhhhh whatever.
[snapback]245677[/snapback]
i want ur job so bad, senior year it better be mine lol

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
SHAHAB323IS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Erratic Idle / Misfire / Cutting out makdolby 3-Series (E36) 12 02-05-2012 07:57 AM
528i Alarm Problem Xero 5-Series (E12,E28, E34, E39, E60) 5 01-03-2011 01:16 PM
Smg Problem On 330i johanfunsale 3-Series (E46, E90) 0 02-28-2005 07:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome