BMW Werkz banner

M3, Obdi Or Obdii???

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  MadBMW 
#1 ·
Here's my question; I bought an Eurospec M3 last week, but I'm wondering if it is OBDI or OBDII..... The car is from Dec. 1995 ('96 model) and it has the 3.2 L engine. How can I check it?

#3 ·
Yeah, that's a really good question Dutch. I'm gonna have to go look and see what I can dig up. I was thinking like Shahab, that OBDI/OBDII was a North American thing.

Congrats by the way, is it the one you posted pics of a while back, where you were thinking about buying that blue one?

#4 ·
I don't know sure if we have OBDI or OBDII, but I guess we have. The only different thing could be that customers (in europe) can't read them out. I'm not sure about this point but I think it is. Our models have also a cat and O2 sensors.

Yes, it's the blue beast I posted in the lounge a while ago. I would really appreciate it if you could find any information about that!

Here's a pic of the car I'm talking about!

M3 6-speed 321HP

#6 ·
Hey...it is easy to tell if it is OBD I or II.....i posted a picture of a car that has OBD I.....the part that i circled in red....If that is BLACK it is OBD II....if it is the same color that is in the picture....then it is OBD I....

Let me know if that helps....btw...post some pics....

Attachments

#8 ·
Originally posted by BaLAnCe17@Apr 4 2005, 02:21 AM
i know this is answered somewhere lol but why is the euro 321 hp and the US is only 240. i thought i saw a pic of a euro motor andit has totally different intake manifold ect...later i really want one too, im loving the 6 speed.....and321 hp lol
[snapback]324703[/snapback]​

There are a lot of differences between the engines.
The S50B30 (euro 3.0) has 286hp. The euro 3.2liter is called S50B32.
So we didn't get the all aluminium S52 at all.

Both S50B30 and B32 are based on the M50.

Pretty much everything in the head(ported, polished, larger valves, harder springs, etc) is different, the individual throttle body intake and internals differ too.

And on the OBD thing, we didn't get OBD-I. OBD-II is mandatory from like '02 and I don't think E36 got it all here.

#10 ·
Originally posted by Tingtong187+Apr 4 2005, 01:34 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tingtong187 @ Apr 4 2005, 01:34 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey...it is easy to tell if it is OBD I or II.....i posted a picture of a car that has OBD I.....the part that i circled in red....If that is BLACK it is OBD II....if it is the same color that is in the picture....then it is OBD I....
Let me know if that helps....btw...post some pics....
[snapback]324686[/snapback]​
[/b]

I don't have pics of the engine bay yet, but I remember it is the same color as that pic you posted. The inlet manifold is different as well shown in that pic.

i know this is answered somewhere lol but why is the euro 321 hp and the US is only 240. i thought i saw a pic of a euro motor andit has totally different intake manifold ect...later i really want one too, im loving the 6 speed.....and321 hp lol
It all has to do with emissions as far as I know. Probably the BMW Motorsport department was on its top of production capacity!

Originally posted by ILiveToRide@Apr 4 2005, 02:35 AM

There are a lot of differences between the engines.
The S50B30 (euro 3.0) has 286hp. The euro 3.2liter is called S50B32.
So we didn't get the all aluminium S52 at all.

Both S50B30 and B32 are based on the M50.

Pretty much everything in the head(ported, polished, larger valves, harder springs, etc) is different, the individual throttle body intake and internals differ too.

And on the OBD thing, we didn't get OBD-I. OBD-II is mandatory from like '02 and I don't think E36 got it all here.
[snapback]324715[/snapback]​

<!--QuoteBegin-jllphan
@Apr 4 2005, 04:55 AM
Dutch, based on what I found, that's correct, your car is OBDI. Eurospec cars didn't get OBDII until after 2001.
[snapback]324871[/snapback]​
[/quote]
Thanks for the research, pics will follow!

#11 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw@Apr 3 2005, 10:21 AM
I don't know sure if we have OBDI or OBDII, but I guess we have. The only different thing could be that customers (in europe) can't read them out. I'm not sure about this point but I think it is. Our models have also a cat and O2 sensors.

Yes, it's the blue beast I posted in the lounge a while ago. I would really appreciate it if you could find any information about that!

Here's a pic of the car I'm talking about!

M3 6-speed 321HP

[snapback]324420[/snapback]​
Hey P, you bitch I didn't know that it was the 320hp model

#13 ·
Originally posted by MadBMW+Apr 4 2005, 08:28 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MadBMW @ Apr 4 2005, 08:28 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey P, you bitch I didn't know that it was the 320hp model
[snapback]325299[/snapback]​
[/b]

Sorry D, but we only can choose for the 286 and 321 hp version. :deal But i'm happy with that :) Did your friend bought a BMW or yet another one?

<!--QuoteBegin-Tingtong187
@Apr 4 2005, 09:44 PM
well...that pic that I posed has an AA turbo in it....the Stage II. So the engine looks a bit different. Does anyone have the AA turbo in theirs....cuz,man...that thing is freaking fun as hell...
[snapback]325359[/snapback]​
[/quote]
no turbo for me..... :wrench I think a turbo will increase maintainance costs a lot!

#14 ·
Hey P, you bitch I didn't know that it was the 320hp model
[snapback]325299[/snapback]​
Sorry D, but we only can choose for the 286 and 321 hp version. :deal But i'm happy with that :) Did your friend bought a BMW or yet another one?

I would be happy with to and I will be more happy when you ship the motor to me after you crash it. Just kidding Maybe if get off my lazy ass, I might come visit you and we can take that thing for a ride.
Yeah he got it last week. I think that he wishes that he would have got a M3 since I blow the doors off his 328 on the way back from chic-town. When are going to take more video of you doing burnouts with the M3? later P

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.