M3 Or M Roadster - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 11:02 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jellybelly is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I currently have a 2002 325i Auto which I am happy with, but I wanted something with more power and a manual. I found a 98 M Roadster with 45K and aroun $18,500. The car appears to be in great shape, but here is the thing. I am 6'5. Would I have an room in the car at all?

Also, the VIN is WBSCK9333WLC87709, so if someone could do a Carfax on that or something for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Any M Roadster owners out there have problems with their cars?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
You could fit if it was a convertible.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#3 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 12:21 PM
n00b

GT Mech Eng is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmmm, I've been debating between a '00 M Coupe and and a 96-99 M3, and I'd be curious to know if there is any difference in handling between the two. The body style is pretty significantly different, but are they built on the same frames?

For your question in particular, Jelly Belly, I would be concerned because the M Roadster is a convertible, yes? Your frame is going to flex more and feel looser than a non-convertible, and you are also going to be heavier than a non-convertible.

I am no expert though, but I believe the M Coupe is lighter than the M3, but I'm not sure if the Roadster is or not. Convertibles usually add another couple hundreds pounds.

Just some things to take into consideration.

Blessings,

-Davide
#4 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:03 PM
5th Gear Member

catalyst. is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to catalyst.
i would get an M3 over the roadster, but an Mcoupe over the M3.

The mcoupe is quite possibly the sexiest bavarian beast to date.. i love them. Watch this video and the coupe will win you over.

#5 (permalink) Old 03-23-2005, 10:47 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I like the convertible because, well, I like convertibles. I don't mind that much about speed and weight or else I wouldn't even be thinking of a convertible. I like the feel of the open road that a convertible gives you, you are open to everything and the open air is great. Personally, I am not that attracted to the M Coupe's design. Yes, it is a nice design, just not my particular style.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 08:38 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
the m coupe would be the best choice

#7 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 01:04 PM
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly@Mar 23 2005, 10:47 PM
I like the convertible because, well, I like convertibles.* I don't mind that much about speed and weight or else I wouldn't even be thinking of a convertible.* I like the feel of the open road that a convertible gives you, you are open to everything and the open air is great.* Personally, I am not that attracted to the M Coupe's design.* Yes, it is a nice design, just not my particular style.
[snapback]317453[/snapback]
Then you should get a miata, im not being sarcastic or mocking you in any way.. if you dont care THAT much about performance then the miata is the way to go (dont get me wrong, the miata performs VERY well), its alot cheaper, a vert, and performs very nicely for what it is, ive heard the handling is razor sharp.

imo any m vert is a waste. (sorry to any Mvert owners.)

#8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Dude, a freaking Miata? Are you nuts? How about a Del Sol, then? Jesus, not everyone here is crazy about performance, some people like styling and how much fun a car is to drive more than how fast it will get up to 60. Everyone has different tastes in cars, some prefer M Coupes while others hate them, and same for verts. Saying I should get a Miata, though, that is just stupid. Do you think the Miata is better than the M Roadster or something, why else would you even bring up that car? Anyway, whatever...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:21 AM
n00b

GT Mech Eng is an unknown quantity at this point
An M roadster definately looks better than a Miata that's for sure. Just don't get a Z3, or we'll have to kill you. :wink
#10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly@Mar 24 2005, 11:34 PM
Dude, a freaking Miata? Are you nuts? How about a Del Sol, then? Jesus, not everyone here is crazy about performance, some people like styling and how much fun a car is to drive more than how fast it will get up to 60. Everyone has different tastes in cars, some prefer M Coupes while others hate them, and same for verts. Saying I should get a Miata, though, that is just stupid. Do you think the Miata is better than the M Roadster or something, why else would you even bring up that car? Anyway, whatever...
[snapback]318053[/snapback]
You would be surprised with what you could do with a miata. I know of a miata just south of me in San Antonio that has a V8 engine in it and will smoke pretty much anything on the road with the power to weight ratio. you shouldn't knock em just yet. Now don't go turning this post into a bash just cause i said that you can do stuff with a miata. I love my M and wouldn't trade it for anything else. just give you some info from someone that has modded multiple cars for street, track and rally.

Chant
#11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I have heard from more than one person that the M Roadster (and Z's in general) look like "chick" cars. I don't really think so. In the BMW Films' "The Hire" Clive Owen didn't looks like a wimp when he was driving the Z4. They look like fun little cars to drive. I am test driving a Z4 later today but have already been riding in one, and they are fun.
#12 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:13 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I don't think Miatas are bad cars, just really, really tiny. Most of the people I see in them are middle-aged, 5' women. I am sure you can do amazing things with them, but I don't like the way they look. I know a Z is small, too, but not as small as the Miatas. They remind me of little Matchbox cars. To each his own, though.
#13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:30 PM
5th Gear Member

Go test drive a mazda speed miata, youll love it. Your not a true performance enthusiast if you dis on mazda's, they are fantastic cars. (this is not a flame its a fact)

If you only care about the styling and have the cash for the mroadster.. go for it, but if your a little short on cash, consider a z3 2.5 or 2.8 because they cost significantly less.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jellybelly@Mar 25 2005, 09:13 AM
I don't think Miatas are bad cars, just really, really tiny.* Most of the people I see in them are middle-aged, 5' women.* I am sure you can do amazing things with them, but I don't like the way they look.* I know a Z is small, too, but not as small as the Miatas.* They remind me of little Matchbox cars.* To each his own, though.
[snapback]318164[/snapback]
I actually find that the exact opposite of this is true, i VERY rarely see dudes driving z3's. Much more often they are women in their 40's-50's. Im starting to see alot of younger dudes driving mx5 miatas.. cause they really are great cars. Anyways whatever, just trying to save ya some cash..

#14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Bank One Lease & Loan Collateral Servici
Lexington, KY

Since its establishment as an independent company in 1986, CARFAX has collected the largest vehicle history database in North America. This database currently includes over 3 billion records from thousands of public and private sources.

A CARFAX Vehicle History Report is based only on information supplied to CARFAX. Other information about this vehicle, including problems, may not have been reported to CARFAX. Use this report as one important tool, along with a vehicle inspection and test drive, to make a better decision about your next used car.

Good News -- Vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee! No severe problems (major accidents, fire, flood damage, major odometer problems or lemon history) were ever reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709). If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

You must register at www.CARFAX.com to activate this free guarantee!

CARFAX Talking CarTM
The story of this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709) according to our interpretation of the information reported to CARFAX:
This convertible has had 1 owner in Pennsylvania. The first title for this convertible was reported to CARFAX by a Pennsylvania DMV in 1998.
It has had no minor or moderate accidents reported to CARFAX.
It has had no DMV-reported total loss events, like a major accident, fire or flood.
It has not been reported by a DMV as having an Exceeds Mechanical Limits or Not Actual Mileage title.
It has a consistent mileage history with no indication of an odometer rollback. The last odometer reading, reported on 05/24/2002, was 33,808 miles.
It was not reported by a DMV as a Manufacturer Buyback (LEMON).
Go to the Detailed Vehicle History for the complete history and a glossary of terms.

Report Summary
1. ACCIDENT CHECK

Total Loss Check No Severe Accidents Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Other Accident Indicators No Accident Indicators Reported
2. MILEAGE ACCURACY CHECK

Truth-In-Mileage Check No Odometer Problems Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
Odometer Rollback Check No Potential Odometer Rollback Found
Mileage Consistency Check No Inconsistent Odometer Reading Found
3. LEMON CHECK®
No Mfr. Buyback Reported by a DMV - Buyback Guarantee!
4. OWNERSHIP CHECK

Number of Owners 1 Estimated Owner(s)
Type of Owners Checked 8 Types of Vehicle Registrations
5. RECALL CHECK
BMW Does Not Report Recalls to CARFAX
DETAILED VEHICLE HISTORY 6 HISTORY RECORDS REPORTED

Year/Make/Model: 1998 BMW M ROADSTER

Body Style: CONVERTIBLE
Engine: 3.2L V6 PFI DOHC 24V
Fuel: GASOLINE
Driveline: REAR WHEEL DRIVE
Manufactured in: GERMANY
Safety Equipment: 4 wheel ABS, Dual front air bags/active (manual) belts

Standard Equipment: Power Windows, Power Steering, Air Conditioning, AM / FM Cassette, Power Brakes, 6-digit Odometer

Total Loss Check:

GOOD NEWS! No severe damage events were ever reported by a DMV for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709). If you find that any of the following severe problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Salvage Title Loss Due To Fire Title
Junk Title Flood Damage Title
Rebuilt/Reconstructed Title Hail Damage Title
Dismantled Title Canadian Total Loss

Other Accident Indicators:

This 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709) had no accident indicators reported to CARFAX from its sources. This section checks for accidents and/or related damage reported from many public and private sources. Not all accidents are reported to CARFAX. A vehicle inspection completed by your dealer or professional mechanic is recommended.

No Salvage Auction Record Reported No Crash Test Vehicle Record Reported
No Fire Damage Record Reported No Airbag Deployment Record Reported
No Police Accident Record Reported No Damage Disclosure Record Reported

CARFAX depends on public and private sources for its accident data. Each one of these sources has different processing times. CARFAX can only report what is in our database on 26.Mar.2005 06:12:36. New data will result in a change to this report.

Truth-In-Mileage Check:

GOOD NEWS! No major odometer problems were ever reported by a DMV under the Truth-In-Mileage Act for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709). If you find that any of the following odometer problems were reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Not Actual Mileage Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses mileage fraud or a broken odometer.
Exceeds Mechanical Limits Title - issued by DMV when the owner discloses an odometer rollover.

Odometer Rollback Check:

CARFAX found no odometer rollbacks for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709). Rollbacks reported in this section originate from readings collected by a DMV or other verifiable source.

Mileage Consistency Check:

CARFAX found no inconsistent odometer readings in the mileage history of this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709).

Date: Mileage:
10/28/1998 35
03/20/2000 17,157
05/24/2002 33,808

GOOD NEWS! No manufacturer buyback was ever reported by a DMV for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709). If you find that a manufacturer buyback was reported by a DMV and not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back. You must register to activate this free guarantee!

Ownership History:

CARFAX estimates that this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709) had 1 owner(s). CARFAX analyzed this vehicle's title history and other supporting events to identify potential ownership transfers. In compliance with the U.S. privacy laws, CARFAX does not collect or report owner names or addresses.

Estimated Owners: Date: Location:
1st owner 10/28/1998 Pennsylvania

Types of Owners:

This 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709) was originally registered as a Personal Vehicle.

Personal Use Registration Reported No Fleet Registration Reported
No Lease Registration Reported No Commercial Registration Reported
No Rental Registration Reported No Non-Profit Registration Reported
No Taxi Registration Reported No Built to Non U.S. Standards Record Reported

BMW does not report recall information for specific vehicles to CARFAX.
You can contact an authorized dealership or BMW at 1-800-334-4269 to find out if this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709) still has recalls that require repair.

CARFAX searched more than 3 billion records from over 5,300 sources and found 6 record(s) for this 1998 BMW M ROADSTER (WBSCK9333WLC87709).

Date:
Mileage Reading:
Source:
General Comments:

10/15/1998 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lahaska, PA
Registered as
personal vehicle

10/28/1998 35 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Lahaska, PA
Title or registration issued
First owner reported
Loan or lien reported

03/20/2000 17,157 Pennsylvania
Motor Vehicle Dept.
Quakertown, PA
Title or registration issued

03/31/2000 Pennsylvania
Inspection Station
Passed emissions inspection

05/15/2001 Pennsylvania
Inspection Station

05/24/2002 33,808 Pennsylvania
Inspection Station

Detailed Vehicle History Definitions:

First Owner
When the first owner(s) obtains a title from a Department of Motor Vehicles as proof of ownership.

Personal Use
Vehicle was registered by the owner for private or personal use.

CARFAX BUYBACK GUARANTEE
Courtesy of Bank One Lease & Loan Collateral Servici

If you find that any of these severe problems were reported by a Department of Motor Vehicles and were not included in this report, CARFAX will buy this vehicle back.

Severe Damage: Odometer Problems: Lemon History:
Salvage/Junk

Rebuilt/Reconstructed

Dismantled

Fire/Flood/Hail

Canadian Total Loss
Exceeds Mechanical Limits

Not Actual Mileage
Manufacturer Buyback

Your CARFAX Buyback Coverage:
Vehicle: Transferable Coverage: Activation:
1998 BMW M ROADSTER
WBSCK9333WLC87709 03/26/2005 - 03/26/2006 REQUIRED --
ACTIVATE TODAY!

Activation Required

Go to www.carfax.com
No Internet access?
Ask your dealer to help you activate this guarantee.

Terms and Conditions Apply
CARFAX agrees to buy this vehicle back from the holder of this Vehicle History Report if the report indicates the vehicle qualifies for the CARFAX Buyback Guarantee and a Branded Title, as fully defined in the Terms and Conditions, actually exists for this vehicle. YOU MUST REGISTER TO ACTIVATE THIS FREE GUARANTEE (www.carfax.com) in order to be eligible for payment. View Terms and Conditions (www.carfax.com/guarantee/hctermsanddef.cfm).

CARFAX Disclaimer:

CARFAX DEPENDS ON ITS SOURCES FOR THE ACCURACY AND RELIABILITY OF ITS INFORMATION. THEREFORE, NO RESPONSIBILITY IS ASSUMED BY CARFAX OR ITS AGENTS FOR ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THIS REPORT. CARFAX FURTHER EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING ANY IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. CARFAX®

Need help? Consumers, please visit our Help Center at www.carfax.com. Dealers or Subscribers, please visit our Help Center at www.carfaxonline.com.

© 2005 CARFAX, Inc., an R.L. Polk & Co. company. All rights reserved. Patents pending.

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#15 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 02:48 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the CARFAX, man.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)