M3 E46 Vibration - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-23-2004, 05:50 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dino01 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am experiencing a problem with a deep vibration on my 6 speed 2001 M3. The vibration occurs when decelerating as the revs drop through 3700rpm. I have had the car at the dealer 3 times and they have been unable to locate the problem. The latest is that they think it is normal which I find hard to believe. Anyone having this problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM
n00b

jwshbrn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by dino01 View Post
I am experiencing a problem with a deep vibration on my 6 speed 2001 M3. The vibration occurs when decelerating as the revs drop through 3700rpm. I have had the car at the dealer 3 times and they have been unable to locate the problem. The latest is that they think it is normal which I find hard to believe. Anyone having this problem.
I'm having a similar problem with my 03 M3 SMG, except it is during accelaration in 2nd gear into 3rd gear. My local dealer can't find the problem either.
#3 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 04:12 PM
Mr. Clean

BimmerE39 will become famous soon enough
Garage
Is the vibration coming through the steering wheel or is it like an engine shudder? Details please.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 05:09 PM
n00b

The vibration is noticable through the steering wheel, but it feels like its coming from the drive shaft or rear end area. Seems to be getting worse. Now it vibrates in all gears, but still worst in 2nd around 3k rpm.
#5 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 06:30 PM
Mr. Clean

Garage
A few things that come to mind off the bat is if it is engine related and the motor is having issues I'd think there could be an issue with an ignition coil (which is a common problem) or a bad MAF. If it is drivetrain related it could be a bad flywheel. Does your car still have the vibration in neutral or does it only happen in gear.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-27-2010, 09:54 PM
n00b

Actually, the motor runs and excelarates extremely smooth when the trans is in neutral...just flipped 60k miles. Along with the vibration there is a low pitch resonating sound similar a whining gear, which makes me think it may be related to differential?? The vibration is very consistent only from 2nd gear and up. If I accelarate hard into and through 2nd gear, the vibration is less extreme but continues as I shift through the gears.
#7 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 12:37 AM
Mr. Clean

Garage
So it can't be a motor issue if the problem is not occurring in while the car is in neutral. I'm not sure if the whining is related to the vibration but since you're saying the vibration is occuring under load and in gear it could be a multitude of things. I'm still thinking a warped flywheel can cause a problem but I find this unlikely unless the car has been beat on. Some likely areas of concern would be the guibo (flex disc) or possibly the CV joints. You can visually inspect these if you look under the back of your car.
#8 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
n00b

Thanks for all of your help, much appreciated. I'll lift the car tonight to look at the guibo and cv joints. I'm thinking if they're bad enough to be causing this much vibration, they should be worn to the point that there will be enough play that I can wiggle them slightly. Thanks again.
#9 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:20 AM
n00b

Problem fixed. The Flex Plate (Guibo) was in bad shape and one of the 6 bolts was missing. The Plate was torn badly on both sides between 3 of the 6 mounting holes. Replacing it was a lot of work, but the car runs excellent again with no vibrations. Thanks for the help. I have pic's of the bad flex plate if anyone would like to see them.
#10 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:51 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Glad it's sorted.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)