Loosing an M.. have to trade for a B. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
(Thread Starter)
Loosing an M.. have to trade for a B.

B... as in Baby on Board.

We're keeping the M5 but the M-Roaster.... well.... M-Roaster and Baby won't mix. Since we also have a 2 seater Austin the decision has been made that 1 of the 2 seaters must go. There's no way the Austin is going.... So sorry the M-Roaster must go.

So I'm seeking a bit of advice. The M-Roaster is my wife's car. With the baby on the way we need ..... something else. So far I've been looking at AWD wagons. In the running thus far is, BMW 325xi, Audi, Volvo and Saab. Looking for suggestions! We're looking at making a 0 debt type purchase deal. I figure we can get around 18-20k for the M-Roadster and so that's the budget for the replacement car. So obviously I'm looking at used. Any suggestions? We don't care much for SUV's and with gas prices these days don't want one. She likes sporty cars (obviously... she bought the M-Roaster before we met!) She also prefers a manual (as do I). However, those of you with children please feel free to offer debate on that. Also a minivan is definatly NO freaking way. :-)

I of course would love a 545ix wagon but there's no such thing and it would be more then 20k to purchase one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 10:32 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevize
B... as in Baby on Board.

We're keeping the M5 but the M-Roaster.... well.... M-Roaster and Baby won't mix. Since we also have a 2 seater Austin the decision has been made that 1 of the 2 seaters must go. There's no way the Austin is going.... So sorry the M-Roaster must go.

So I'm seeking a bit of advice. The M-Roaster is my wife's car. With the baby on the way we need ..... something else. So far I've been looking at AWD wagons. In the running thus far is, BMW 325xi, Audi, Volvo and Saab. Looking for suggestions! We're looking at making a 0 debt type purchase deal. I figure we can get around 18-20k for the M-Roadster and so that's the budget for the replacement car. So obviously I'm looking at used. Any suggestions? We don't care much for SUV's and with gas prices these days don't want one. She likes sporty cars (obviously... she bought the M-Roaster before we met!) She also prefers a manual (as do I). However, those of you with children please feel free to offer debate on that. Also a minivan is definatly NO freaking way. :-)

I of course would love a 545ix wagon but there's no such thing and it would be more then 20k to purchase one!
I suggest the Audi Allroad with the 2.7T engine. You can chip it with the OEM RS4 chip and suddenly it's got an amazing amount of hp. My buddy Alex in the UK has one, and absolutely loves both its power and its maneuverability--he likes it almost as much as his Lotus Esprit Turbo! I've driven it too. Lots of room inside for kids.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well the plan is changing a bit.

After much debate, tears and please god no......

We've decided to keep the M-Roadster and sell the M5. Our basic issue is this:

#1 - we own 3 fun cars with very little practictal use. (M5, M-Roadster and 1960 Austin Healey)
#2 - it snows here....
#3 - baby is coming

So it's a given something must go and we need to buy something practical. We're also not willing to have a car loan at this time.

So we had to decide which car was the most fun. Talk about a hard choice. M-Roadster vs M5. Convertable vs Sedan. the debate went on and on.

I know one could argue that the M5 will carry a baby just fine. Ya well... my M5 is perfect. It looks like it still belongs on the showroom floor with 0 miles on the odo. I'm admittedly overly anal about keeping it perfect. So the idea of baby, food, vomit, juice, and poopy diapers in the M5... well I think I'd go insane.

So my wife basically said, "if we sell the M5 we can trick out the M-Roadster with all the Dinan stuff we want and keep it as the fun weekend racer". I've been wanting to deck out the M5 with Dinan upgrades but the cost is just too much. Dinan stuff for the Roadster is much more reasonable.

Selling the M5 also opens up the budget such that we can get something much more "fun" that will be a snow and baby friendly. Presently I'm thinking X5. Or a Touareg. or.... hmmmm dunno....

Anyway I've been doing some online searching trying to find the right price point for my M5.

2000 E39 M5 - 67k miles
Extended Warrentee good until 2009
2 Complete sets of M5 rims (1 set with good summer and 1 set with rain tires)
bi-xeon headlights with DDE
Upgraded 16:9 Nav screen
Upgraded DVD Nav system
Upgraded Voice Activation
Added Blue Tooth
Added ICE ipod
Service II is done.
New clutch was done about 1 year ago.

Car is in perfect shape. Garaged all it's life. Never seen a single snowflake. Never parked in a situation to even get a door ding, an interesting trick being in Boston I might add...

Anyway, feel free to tell me I'm nuts to even consider the sale of the beast. Interesting of how a baby on the way changes your perspective on things tho...

Also if you want to buy it let me know! =D
#4 (permalink) Old 10-04-2006, 09:10 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
I'll do the honours. You're nuts to consider the sale of the beast.

I'd say you should start the bidding at $34K.

I do understand, though. You will have another, smaller beast that makes squeaks and groans you don't understand with fluids that have to be changed regularly and upgraded parts over time.

If it was a year from now, I would definitely have bought it from you.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
#5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:42 PM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Agree that you are nuts to sell the M5...personally I would go with the X3 over the X5 (*only exception being the 4.8*) but it's totally all about what fits your needs.

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#6 (permalink) Old 10-10-2006, 07:45 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

He already changed his mind. Thank God.

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:20 AM
5th Gear Member

325isBaby is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to 325isBaby
Indeed think god!!! I know he'd end up kicking himself in the rear after he sold it (I know I would!)

http://www.myspace.com/330xigirl
Come see me at MySpace
#8 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 01:27 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
darn i would have kept the m5 lol , ,best of luck to you

#9 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 02:33 AM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Much praise to you, tough decision, executed well.

I'd say go with an Audi AllRoad 2.7t(twin turbo 6) or 4.2L(v8), but instead of investing on a chip in the 2.7t, you would need to be more focused on replacing the turbos because they are known to go out around 100k, sometimes sooner. You can also get these in a 6spd manual.

Also, I've somewhat fancied the new Volvo XC90 T5 SUV a lot lately...or go with the V70R Wagon(300hp), can even get it in a manual().

XC90 quick suv, safe, still performance, maybe more MPH?:

V70R, great power, performance, offroad, and sportyness, but not INSANE offroading...:

Also, a Toureg would be sweet, and are...I've driven the V10 Diesal on the track and it was a BEAST, very little roll, great power. BUT, I've heard gas mileage isn't too pleasant..maybe it was just at the track?

So that is all I really would suggest to you for good AWD snow sporty cars..I would suggest Subaru WRX Wagon, but I do not think you woul dlike them as they are japanese..haha.

But it does get good gas mileage, great performance and utility and much easier to maintain. Also lots of aftermarket modification:

Hope this helped?

-Dan

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"

Last edited by spiff325is; 10-11-2006 at 02:35 AM.
#10 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:10 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
The decision is done. The M Roadster is SOLD. The M5 is still safely in the garage. :-)
#11 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 04:39 PM
General Chaos

SpeedInfusion has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to SpeedInfusion
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevize
The decision is done. The M Roadster is SOLD. The M5 is still safely in the garage. :-)
sad to let go of any M...

#12 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 05:09 PM
Official Bimmerwerkz Biscuit Distributer

spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of spiff325is has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to spiff325is
Maybe my write up will be useful to someone, muaha.

I hate: people who haven't died yet that I hate.
L337 Co-Founding Assistant Executive Director Product Maker of Sunset Sig's Inc.
2000 BMW M Coupe - Dakar-II - S52

"You gotta fix the nut behind the wheel before you fix the bolts on the car"
#13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff325is
Maybe my write up will be useful to someone, muaha.
I was just happy that your first recommendation was the same as mine :-)

Lindsay fan club member.
#14 (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 10:21 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Wife took me by surprise last night..... We're looking at 740i's now to replace the M Roadster. She very much so doesn't want anything that resembles an SUV or a Wagon. She sees clients every day and for some reason doesn't want to look like a mom. I keep trying to tell her that... looks aside, YOU ARE A MOM. :-) From one extreme to the next. Basically we're finding several high miles 740i's that fit our low budget family mobile. Any common issues I should be looking for? Going to look at a 1999 and a 1998 today.
#15 (permalink) Old 10-15-2006, 05:37 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
ok test drove some 740i's. 1998 vintage.. Not so thrilled....

Spent the whole weekend test driving this that and the other...

So far the list is...

02 Mercedes ML500
02 BMW X5 3.0 (too high on price tho...)
03 Infinity QX4 (basically a pathfinder)

We really liked the ML500 the best... but doing research on the ML class is making me a tad nervious. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)