BMW Werkz banner

Looking At Late Model M3's, Several Questions

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  billB 
#1 ·
I am considering getting an M3 (2002 or 2003) and keeping it for a couple of years. I have decided that I like variety and like to try different cars so will try getting some late model cars and changing them out very so often.

* Winter driving: I live in Denver and contrary to what most people think we don't get that much snow although we do get dumped on at times. The snow usually melts within a few days and they don't use much salt on the roads. I have an easy commute about 10 miles on back roads with very few hills. My wife has an SUV. It seems that good snow tires on a M3 make all the difference. I was considering a 330xi but it felt underpowered. I am from the midwest and grew up driving before front wheel drive was popular so snow isn't a huge issue for me but at the same time I am not a fan of sliding around in traffic. Can anyone provide me their experiences with winter driving in several inches of snow?

* Resale value. Because I plan on selling the car in a couple years I want to minimize my loss. I just sold a 1995 993 and actuially made 4% on my initial investment. I don't intend to make money but don't want to take a bug hit either. Do M3's hold their value if it is a well maintained low mileage car? How would an M3 compare to a 330i or a 540i in terms of % of value retained?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#3 ·
twestrope

For your winter driving question BMW as you know are rear wheel drives as such I tend to make sure I have good winter tires with the stock rims of 15” on my car. Also I have the 17” for the summer. When it gets hairy here –NJ- I get several bags of salt loaded in the trunk. It gives me the traction I need.

For the value comparison issue; well this is a much debated topic where you may hear so many conflicting opinions. But I’ll summarize it for you as follows:
Some did argue for APPRECIATION Due to the fact that the E46 does not make an "M" version; the E36 M cars can appreciate slightly in value.

Also I see many people with unrealistic expectations of their cars value. One thing is asking for a price, getting it is another. To be realistic Prices do come down even before the car is sold. Everyone likes to believe his/her car is going up in value. The fact of the matter is 40-50% depreciation in value every four years.

Having said that I will argue prices seem to vary by states, countries and regions. What is valid here in NJ does not hold true in South Carolina or Mexico.

I conclude by saying this: Cars are not similar to real estate investments, they do depreciate in value-allow some room for some exceptions i.e. wholesales vs. retails, classics- Bmw cars are good cars and fun to drive. While they do hold up in value much better than other cars, they are very limited by their very nature; that is of being ONLY a car. Cars syndrome at best: new vs. old = depreciation. Just consider it the cost of driving an ultimate machine!!

Regards
billb

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.