Looking At Late Model M3's, Several Questions - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-09-2004, 04:16 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
twestrope is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I am considering getting an M3 (2002 or 2003) and keeping it for a couple of years. I have decided that I like variety and like to try different cars so will try getting some late model cars and changing them out very so often.

* Winter driving: I live in Denver and contrary to what most people think we don't get that much snow although we do get dumped on at times. The snow usually melts within a few days and they don't use much salt on the roads. I have an easy commute about 10 miles on back roads with very few hills. My wife has an SUV. It seems that good snow tires on a M3 make all the difference. I was considering a 330xi but it felt underpowered. I am from the midwest and grew up driving before front wheel drive was popular so snow isn't a huge issue for me but at the same time I am not a fan of sliding around in traffic. Can anyone provide me their experiences with winter driving in several inches of snow?

* Resale value. Because I plan on selling the car in a couple years I want to minimize my loss. I just sold a 1995 993 and actuially made 4% on my initial investment. I don't intend to make money but don't want to take a bug hit either. Do M3's hold their value if it is a well maintained low mileage car? How would an M3 compare to a 330i or a 540i in terms of % of value retained?

Thanks for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 08:10 PM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Welcome to the forums... most of your questions may be answer if you just search around.. .use the seach feature... that will help you tons..

Good Luck,

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 09:14 PM
5th Gear Member

billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute billB has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to billB
twestrope

For your winter driving question BMW as you know are rear wheel drives as such I tend to make sure I have good winter tires with the stock rims of 15” on my car. Also I have the 17” for the summer. When it gets hairy here –NJ- I get several bags of salt loaded in the trunk. It gives me the traction I need.

For the value comparison issue; well this is a much debated topic where you may hear so many conflicting opinions. But I’ll summarize it for you as follows:
Some did argue for APPRECIATION Due to the fact that the E46 does not make an "M" version; the E36 M cars can appreciate slightly in value.

Also I see many people with unrealistic expectations of their cars value. One thing is asking for a price, getting it is another. To be realistic Prices do come down even before the car is sold. Everyone likes to believe his/her car is going up in value. The fact of the matter is 40-50% depreciation in value every four years.

Having said that I will argue prices seem to vary by states, countries and regions. What is valid here in NJ does not hold true in South Carolina or Mexico.

I conclude by saying this: Cars are not similar to real estate investments, they do depreciate in value-allow some room for some exceptions i.e. wholesales vs. retails, classics- Bmw cars are good cars and fun to drive. While they do hold up in value much better than other cars, they are very limited by their very nature; that is of being ONLY a car. Cars syndrome at best: new vs. old = depreciation. Just consider it the cost of driving an ultimate machine!!

Regards
billb
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)