Looking To Buy Soon, I Need Some Pros/cons - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 01:43 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
BMWNooB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi I really dont know anything about The BMW M3 but i like them alot, and i was interested in a 97 coupe, or anything newer. I also like the 318TI and hte 325 XI but i was wondering if anyone out here could tell me what they have found really sucks about 97, 98, and no newer than 2000 really BMW M3s or anywhere in between. or if you know any sites that i can read up on them. im looken to spend anywhere from 8k to highest 16 or 17k - i know thats kinda cheap. would anyone reccoment the 318TI or the 225 XI over teh older M3s? basically i just need a rundown of what all goes wrong with theml. so anyone that can help please do.

thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:15 AM
n00b

Tingtong187 is an unknown quantity at this point
well...the M3's are great..all of them...the only thing is that with anything 95 or above on the M3's is that it comes with OBD 2. If you are planning on doing a lot of mods with your car, OBD2 is a little harder to work with. There arnt that many upgrades available. I would say dont get the 318...cuz the engine sux, plus i hate the hatchback look of the TI. THe newer 325XI are good because they have all weel drive...which is really awsome, however...i think they only come in 4 door. I have a 99 M3, which i just got recently, and i love it.

BTW, you could do a OBD conversion on the M3's however i dont really know anything about it.

the only major problem to look for in M3's is the LSD (Limited Slip Differental). People who have them usually drive rather hard, and that is something to watch out for when buying one.

Good luck..let us know what you decide.
#3 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 06:27 AM
n00b

BMW|M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Keep in mind BMWNooB, the newer models of the M3 actually started in 2000. This would be a total different look and feel if you were to get the 2000. It depends on which you thinks looks better and how deep your pockets are, because of the fact that the price of the 99 compared to the 2000 would be different. If looks have nothing to do with it, I would go with the 97 - 99 model just because it will be less money and a very fast machine. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Also, like Tingtong187 said, the LSD is something that should be checked out before buying your used M3.

- Chase
#4 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:44 PM
n00b

BMWNooB is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the pointers, i like the looks of basically all M3s and since i dont have much money at all, like around 10K at max for a douwn payment so i would liek to find something cheaper iw as looking at the 97s i like the body alot, and im not too worried about doing anythign mroe than dropping it, tinting the windows and putten wheels on it. Sorry im a complete car illeterate, what does LSD mean? and what should i look for in it? i kinda wanted 60k or under mileage. AFter how may miles do these become high maintenance? and like what are the most common issues. Driving hard isnt something ill have a prollem with, i have a Civic now and its slow as crap but i try to race this thing. lol

thanks for the help~
#5 (permalink) Old 04-07-2005, 04:25 PM
n00b

BMW|M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Oh, haha, sorry. The LSD stands for "limited slip differential" which can become a problem in buying used M3's. This is because most M3 owners usually like to drive their cars hard. These cars are and should be treated as sports cars.

- Chase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)