Lh M3 Or Rh M3? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-10-2006, 07:54 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rmxpete is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Lh M3 Or Rh M3?

Hi guys, I have just recently purchased a 1986 M3, YESSA!!! hehe, now my quistion to you is, should I leave it left hand drive or convert it?, as you can see I live in NZ where we drive on the left,so ease of driving would be the smatest to convert,however as, I have been told that, if i chose to change the driving side I run the risk of "devalluing??" my spelling is shocking,! the car, as these cars only came out in left hand drive, although saying that the car isn't worth anything in LH in new zealand, I have a friend that is a BMW technican,so conversion cost won't be to bad-about $3-4g considering I brought the car for less than $14g, and I have found 3 others converted for over $60g, So is this a smart idea to change or should I leave well enough alone and put up with driving on the other side? and help would be great

cheers guys Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 01:33 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
to be honest if they dont require you to convert the car over than id say keep it the way it is, RHD is sexy, and i wish mine was just for the sake of being different.

#3 (permalink) Old 04-11-2006, 11:37 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
well lets say they make it as difficult as possilbe if it is LH, but we have a rule that if a car is 20 years old thus a "classic" then it can be left in it original form,the car is an 86 but the built time isn't until late november,so I would have to keep it in the garage till then,the certification cost is the same,so not sure you reckon keep it the same?yeah I'm starting to think that way to.

PS,you know how hard it is not to drive an M car don't you!!
#4 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 12:49 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
I'd say leave it. It's overly complicated to convert it and why not be different fromt he crowd? The engien bay is jsut mess from what I could think of and any future large engien modifications fromt hen on would defintely be expensive and very custom.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#5 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 02:39 AM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
well actually theres not actually alot to do,just a slight modification to the extractors for the quick rack to go through,thats all everything just bolts on up to the otherside,not even the brack master cylinder or anything has to be changed as they use a push rod,to be honest the swap is really easy to do,the cost is in time to do it, but as you say any future mods might be tough to do,but then again if I change it from original spec then I risk it just being the same as any other boy racer car, just one thing quickly how easy is a supercharger to fit on these??, I think basically you guys have put enough confidence in me to leave it LHD, for now any ways I can always change it i guess if it pissis me off.

Cheers Peter
#6 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 07:53 AM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
.... ummmm
There's no such thing as an 1986 ///M3?

that is all.

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
#7 (permalink) Old 04-12-2006, 08:40 AM
vwk
1st Gear Member

vwk is an unknown quantity at this point
There is.. Even in Europe... 86-87 / 87-89 and 89-91
Resp. 200bhp / 194bhp / 215bhp.

Euro E36 M3 3.2 Rebuild Project

27 years
#8 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 03:57 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
hehe,for future refrence, there was:

1985-1
1986-2396
1987-6396
1988-3426
1989-2541
1990-2424
total-17184, so there you have it dude,

cheers pete
#9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2006, 07:35 PM
Teh Peetsa Gai

ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute ldsbeaker has a reputation beyond repute
My bad guys. I'll stay in the E30 sub-forum from now on.
(even after I put the S50 in )

'86 325es (TURTL3): PJ peetsa hawler
'87 535is (BADWATER): almost done... really.
'86 325e (GRN HLL): DD/show/rocket
'04 x3 3.0i: Wife's Bimmer (manual, woot!)
My BMW Blog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)