Just Purchased A 99 M3 Convertible -need Mod Ideas - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2005, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
loftygoals is an unknown quantity at this point
So I just bought a 1999 M3 Convertible. I'm putting together a shopping list of aftermarket mods for my new toy. I'm considering all avenues: performance, handling and appearance. Any feedback would be appreciated.

-bj

1999 BMW ///M3 Convertible | 1994 BMW 525i | 1983 Porsche 944 Race Car (aka ///M944)
loftygoals is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2005, 02:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
jiggs is an unknown quantity at this point
You definately need E46 mirrors :P
jiggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2005, 06:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
I have a 98 M coupe. So far I have a few mods, best one, a cold air intake, easy to install too. I would also put the crossbrace on it. That has improved steering, plus a front strut tower brace is huge too. Your car has less rigidity due to not having a real roof, so those two thing would be a good improvement. I bought a Corsa RSC exhaust from UUC, hasn't come in yet, its brand new, I will let you know how it does. The Bavauto chip is a good addition too. I put crossdrilled rotors on to replace my OEM ones as well as pagid race pads. So far so good, very grippy and quiet. A new cam is a good way for a huge boost, plus I am putting in a lightweight flywheel and a short shift kit wednesday, I will let you know how that goes. New shift kits are good, because they tighten up all that slop in the shifter. I bought the high end transmission mounts too, good to keep the transmission from twisting under hard driving.
I will let you know, any questions feel free to ask!
FREDPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2005, 12:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
The convertible already has the crossbrace, its standard on the M3 convertibles. I'll look into the tower brace, though. I will definitely add a CAI. I was also thinking about using the Shark Injector to update my ECU. I chipped my 94 325i with a Dinan chip and there was a noticeable performance increase.

As for the 46 mirrors, would you add the ones with the auto fold-up option?

-bj

1999 BMW ///M3 Convertible | 1994 BMW 525i | 1983 Porsche 944 Race Car (aka ///M944)
Old 04-26-2005, 12:25 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
FREDPLT is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to FREDPLT
Adding the E46 mirrors would make you look like someone with an E36 who wants an E46. I would worry about performance before you worry about looks. I will let you know what the Flywheel short shift kit and transmission mount combo does for the car tomorrow when I have all that finished!
FREDPLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 05:46 AM   #6 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by loftygoals@Apr 26 2005, 12:10 PM
The convertible already has the crossbrace, its standard on the M3 convertibles. I'll look into the tower brace, though. I will definitely add a CAI. I was also thinking about using the Shark Injector to update my ECU. I chipped my 94 325i with a Dinan chip and there was a noticeable performance increase.

As for the 46 mirrors, would you add the ones with the auto fold-up option?

-bj
[snapback]337896[/snapback]
don't flash the software till you are done with whatever performance mods you are going to do. chip won't do any good if you add the flywheel and then chip it and then add exhaust. so make sure you mod till you are happy then flash the software.

Chant
Chant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 01:05 AM   #7 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
So my wife went to pickup the M3. After she drove 2 miles, the clutch fried. So I guess my first addition will be a new clutch. While they have it apart, I may have a LTW flywheel added, too. I'm having a B&M shifter installed. I'm going to get a CAI kit ordered. I'm also considering a shark injector. Any one with an M3 tried one? Also what's the difference between the shark and the programmer that BavAuto has, besides the fact that BavAuto's is red and the shark is black? Are they both Conforti’s software?

-bj

Old 05-12-2005, 12:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
The car is home!

I don't know how I ever lived without a M3. Here's what I've done thus far:

* AA Lightweight Flywheel
* B&M Stage 2 Short Throw Shifter
* Conforti Cold Air Intake
* Conforti Shark Injector

I couldn't be happier with the results. The car runs and sounds great. To be fair, though, I never got to drive the car bone stock. If anyone in the DFW area has a new E36 M3 that's stock, please let me know if you want to get together and compare performance.

What I'm considering in the future:

* M50 Manifold

Any other suggestions other than cams and turbo/superchargers?

BTW: I love my wife. I pickup the car yesterday and then at dinner she informs me that she's scheduled a track day for me at TMS. This leads me to another question, is there any track approved roll bars for an E36 convertible? Most important are any removable?

-bj

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)