I'm a new M5 owner and have some questions... - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:02 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
dy540i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I'm a new M5 owner and have some questions...

I've owned a 525i, 528i, and just sold my 540i and purchased a 2002 M5 -- La Mans Blue with black interior. However, I must say I'm not sure I'm really digging this light blue exterior color. My 540i was Orient Blue and looked really sharp. This La Mans Blue looks kind of dull looking. I'm going to have it buffed and hopefully the color will become a bit more appealing and grow on me. (I'll post pictures this weekend)

Anyway, being new to the M5 I have a couple of questions...

1) The lower front bumper has two round, metal air ducts. From photos I've seen, these don't appear to be common to all M5's. Are they an aftermarket item? Or, added to the M5 during a certain production year?

2) Last night when I started the car, the angel eyes entertained me with sort of a flashing light show. Flashing from side to side a few times, then they both came on and stayed on. Is this normal, or a side effect from some electrical short? B)

3) The finish on my wheels is coming off exposing the black surface underneath. What's the best way correct this? Or, am I better off buying new wheels? I'd actually prefer a more sliver or polished wheel, rather than the stock, gun metal gray looking wheel. Can my existing wheels be professionally painted?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 10:26 AM
n00b

BocaBimmer is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BocaBimmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by dy540i
1) The lower front bumper has two round, metal air ducts. From photos I've seen, these don't appear to be common to all M5's. Are they an aftermarket item? Or, added to the M5 during a certain production year?
Yes, they are an aftermarket item. Sorry I couldn't help with any of your other questions.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
#1 - cold air intake. nice

#2 - are they orginal or aftermarket angel eyes? I know my aftermarket angel eyes have a little transformer that can easily go on the fritz. When it does you can get a light show as you describe. I have no idea if OEM ones have the same issue.

#3 - Sounds like those rims aren't OEM. Original BMW M5 rims don't peal like that. However aftermarket "fake" ones do. I know I have a set of aftermarket fakes for the winter tires and they are peeling exactly as you describe.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
#5 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 AM
Neutral Member

dy540i is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the responses. Below are some pictures I took this morning. I ended up buying this car sight unseen, and I thought I'd like the La Mans Blue color, but I must say, after owning a 525 and a 540, both in Orient Blue, I like the deeper blue color better. Hmm.... I wonder if I can find someone with a Carbon Black M5 that would want to trade for this La Mans Blue?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2244 (Small).JPG
Views:	106
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	24754   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2246 (Small).JPG
Views:	107
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	24755   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2242 (Small).JPG
Views:	158
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	24756   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2237 (Small).JPG
Views:	94
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	24757  
#6 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:28 AM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Do you have the two tone leather interior?
Tha's a nice color actually. If I'm not mistaken this was an option.
The other color which is rare is the laguna seca blue. I don't think I have ever seen an M5 in that color, only M3's

LOS
#7 (permalink) Old 10-19-2006, 11:37 AM
teh Canuck....eh

PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute PhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOS
Do you have the two tone leather interior?
Tha's a nice color actually. If I'm not mistaken this was an option.
The other color which is rare is the laguna seca blue. I don't think I have ever seen an M5 in that color, only M3's

LOS
I think you're right, the M5 never came in LSB(that I know of) It looked sexy on the M3's though, that's for damn sure.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-20-2006, 11:45 AM
Neutral Member

KSE36M3 is on a distinguished road
I could be remembering wrong but I've heard recently that the Laguna Seca blue is only on the M3 CS now? Saw one the other day.....beautiful car.....but it was totally untouched...which I guess is good, but I prefer some light mods (if unseen ones) myself.

But yea man,....definitely diggin the car. I'm jealous haha. I love my new I30, but then I always remember how close I came to a shiny 325i....oh well, after college is done I guess. Happy motoring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)