Ignition question - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 08:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
snoopy is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Went out to start my car this morning, a 98 M3 sedan, placed my key in the ignition, gave it a turn and it turned and turned and turned! completely around, 360 degrees! and didn't engage the starter. Thinking this was rather odd, I removed the key with a puzzled look on my face, glanced at the key and ignition cylinder and tried again. This time the key turned about 3/4 of the way around before the starter engaged and the engine started. No warning lights illuminated on the dash and no error messages on the OBC. No bells, whistles or alarms went off. Drove it a few miles and ran a few errands. Got my haircut and when I came back out to the parking lot, the car started right up normally, no problems. Went home and pulled out the trustly Bentley manual and did a little search in the ignitions.

Decided the problem was one of several things. Either the ignition lock cylinder, the ignition switch ring antenna, the entire ignition switch assembly unit, or possibly the EWS II control module. Mostly guesses on my part, but before I delve too deeply into my system, I was wondering if anyone else ran across this sort of problem.

Looking forward to numerous responses :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 09:14 AM
1st Gear Member

ARCHER is an unknown quantity at this point
This is a fairly common problem. Mine does this from time to time and I know of others with similar experiences. Replacing the ignition cylinder will fix it but usually, just a quick jiggle of the wheel does the trick.

Me - '98 M3/4 (manual)
Estoril on black Nappa, UUC clutch stop, de-baffled airbox, Pilot Sports

Wife - '04 Discovery II
#3 (permalink) Old 07-06-2004, 11:35 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
Have had the same problem in Grandma's e36

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)