BMW Werkz banner

I think something is wrong with my ride?

3K views 19 replies 16 participants last post by  skawful 
#1 ·
The other day I raced an old (late 80's) I think E400 Mercedes. It kept up no problem. Then a couple hours later some punk in a MkIII VW Jetta VR6 wanted to race, and he kept up really well also, I only gaines mabey 10 feet the whole 1/4 in both races. My car is a 1995 M3 Auomatic. The weather was really hot, 95 mabey? Should these cars have been able to begin to keep up with an E36? This is worrying me sick. My power steering pump is getting ready to go out, same with the alternator and VANOS units. Could this be my problem? It seems to be running a lot faster now that the temperature has gone down but still....

Really, should I be taking this thing to the shop?

#4 ·
No no no...
VR6? compared to M3!

I'm having a problem with my 328i (automatic).

I USED to be able to smoke them vr6's off the line by 2 car lengths. and as the speed increased the car lengths increased too.

Now i'm getting smoked by them.. and fucking shitVIC SIR's.... Something is up! I need to fix this problem...

Any info greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

#5 ·
I don't really have any idea what it could be, but treat your car to some premium (i know, I know, gas prices :f-u ) I have been putting 92 octane in my 528i and it makes a huge difference. As for permanant effects on your cars, I would go to the dealer or a BMW certified mechanic and ask them. It could be your oil, maybe your engine is not staying cool enough.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

#6 ·
Oh yea, and a VR6 versus any M3 doesn't seem like even a close race. I don't exactly know what MKIII but my friend has a 2002 GTI 1.8t and that is slow!! and my other friend has an Audi A4 also with the 1.8t and that is also very slow...

#8 ·
Could it be the fact that you've got an AUTO? ;)

#9 ·
VR6 is about 180bhp..... auto or not an M3 would kill it.

Off topic but I noticed that someone mentioned premium as 92ron. Is this US? In the UK, normal fuel is 95ron and premium is 97!

#11 ·
The "premium" grade of gas varries by state/area in the US. For where 92 is premium, that's the best grade they can get. Where I live it's 93. I've seem a FEW places with 94 and 95, but only like once in my life.

Kevin

#13 ·
Originally posted by Mr White G@Jun 17 2004, 07:48 AM
VR6 is about 180bhp..... auto or not an M3 would kill it.

Off topic but I noticed that someone mentioned premium as 92ron. Is this US? In the UK, normal fuel is 95ron and premium is 97!
Is that so???
Try that with my '02 Jetta 1.8t with 377whp.
Try racing a car that does 12.2@124 in the 1/4.
I'll take on ANY BMW. I-6, V8, V12, V987 or whatever with my little '02 Jetta 1.8t.

#14 ·
^ :lol: ^ :lol: ^

What a joker.

I know...... let's try that with a twin turbo 316 running on pure nos.... STFU fool.

You'd be better off at maxpower.com......... you won't get people taking the piss out of you there for having a riced up wankmobile. :screwy

#16 ·
What is the big deal with cars keeping up with you? It's what's under the hood that counts. The E400 should have smoked you. It's got a big V8 under the hood. The VR6 with some bolt ons will kill you too, don't look down on VW otherwise you will be surprised. There are a lot of high HP VW's in Houston and I personally know of 5 making upwards of 300+ HP on a 4 cylinder 1.8L motor!

#17 ·
Originally posted by E28boi@Jun 21 2004, 12:51 PM
What is the big deal with cars keeping up with you? It's what's under the hood that counts. The E400 should have smoked you. It's got a big V8 under the hood. The VR6 with some bolt ons will kill you too, don't look down on VW otherwise you will be surprised. There are a lot of high HP VW's in Houston and I personally know of 5 making upwards of 300+ HP on a 4 cylinder 1.8L motor!
uhhh wrong...
old ferraris with huge v8s would be smoked by new m3's...

#18 ·
I know a friedn with an old 60's ferrari. Horribel to drive as stick becuz in uetral u still have to hodl the clutch. Anyways the ferraris have 240 hp, same as e36, but my bet is ferraris are heavier back then.

If you have a problem with ur Vanos unit, u probably shud watch out for blowing ur engine. Timing belt goes off, camshaft rotates badly, headgasket blown. $$$$ cheq those info. How many miles. Maybe its time for a 100K miles cheq up?

#19 ·
Originally posted by d993@Jun 21 2004, 03:24 AM
Is that so???
Try that with my '02 Jetta 1.8t with 377whp.
Try racing a car that does 12.2@124 in the 1/4.
I'll take on ANY BMW. I-6, V8, V12, V987 or whatever with my little '02 Jetta 1.8t.
Hey dude, didn't you see this video? Your VolksWagen is a grandma's car in according to this real BMW: http://www.bmw-forums.com/forum/topic1373.html

Smoke him out if you can :yezfunny BTW, why don't you go to a VW forum??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.