I Need Some Opinions...m3 Or M5? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 09:13 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Klinie14 is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I would like to hear what you have to say about the following: I am finally where I need to be financially to buy an M3 or an M5. My M3 choice would be the convertible only (wife wants a convertible but is open to any BMW) or go with more power and get the ultimate sedan. I have two small boys (3 and 1) that would love both! We also have an SUV so being practical is not an issue. I guess I am looking for someone that may have had both cars. I realize that they are somewhat different, but I love both and have yet to drive either one!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-27-2005, 10:28 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
WELCOME TO THE FORUMS! Actually, the coupe M3 and M5 go 0-60 in the same speed, but the M5's massive V8 puts out much more hp to the the M3's i6 (which is not lacking power whatsoever either)

From the sounds of it, the small boys maybe need a bigger "family" oriented car, which I would say is the M5, because it has a full backseat and 4 doors. That is the only difference is that the e46 M3 is available in SMG if you dont want a true manual trans. But the SMG is a manual tranny, but has an automatically controlled clutch. Much better if you like to multitask while driving, but it seems like you are going to go with the true manual either way. There is one more slight difference, handling. The m5 is a beast dont get me wrong, but there is a reason it needs those extra horses to get make is go as fast as the M3, the weight. So you loose a little bit in cornering but dont let that make your decision, unless you plan to Autox.

So in conclusion, from the sounds of your family currently I would go with the M5.

Good luck and make sure you post pictures when you get it

Chad

pic of my dads m3 vert.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4493_copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	16776  

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
#3 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 06:24 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by Klinie14@Jan 27 2005, 06:13 PM
Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and I would like to hear what you have to say about the following: I am finally where I need to be financially to buy an M3 or an M5. My M3 choice would be the convertible only (wife wants a convertible but is open to any BMW) or go with more power and get the ultimate sedan. I have two small boys (3 and 1) that would love both! We also have an SUV so being practical is not an issue. I guess I am looking for someone that may have had both cars. I realize that they are somewhat different, but I love both and have yet to drive either one!
[snapback]280705[/snapback]
#4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 07:40 PM

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
response?

#5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2005, 08:46 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
to the forums! I have to say, I'd love to have your problems. :P

While performance numbers may be similar, they are two completely different cars. The ///M3 is a much lighter and tossable car, while the ///M5 will feel much heavier. Don't get me wrong the ///M5 is as nimble as any sedan out there, but compared to the ///M3, it will exhibit more body roll and a tad more planted at interstate speeds.

The ///M5, with a hundred more ft./lbs. of tq (albeit a lot of this is lost in comparison due to weight differences) just has more grunt to offer, while the ///M3 asks to be revved to produce similar power.

Both great cars, and like I said, I'd love to be faced with a similar dilema. They both have performance limits that few will ever reach, and if you want an amazing daily driving experience, either will deliver. If you want a true sports coupe that feels lighter than it is and loves to be thrown through the curves, go for the ///M3. If you'd rather have a land jet that begs to hit the interstate, go for the ///M5.

#6 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 01:09 AM
Neutral Member

M BMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Hi. As others have said, the M3 is more of a nimble car and the M5 is a pure beast. But don't let this fool you around as the M5 can hold it's own against the M3. It's your choice man.

Thanks.
Bye.
#7 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:23 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the help guys. I think I am set on the M3 convertible. Living in the Bay Area, it would be great to have a cab. Having the SUV (MDX) also helped in deciding on the M3. If I had to have a bigger car, the M5 would be the choice, but not right now. Hell, if I am lucky in a couple of years maybe I can sell the wife on loosing the Acura for an M5...wouldn't that be a great combo (M3 Cab & M5)!

Thanks again, Klinie
#8 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:25 AM

Hey i'm in the bay also

#9 (permalink) Old 01-29-2005, 06:50 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
[quote=Slvr e39,Jan 29 2005, 03:25 AM]
Hey i'm in the bay also
[snapback]281555[/snapback]

Cool...where is Saratoga, south bay? I moved to Santa Rosa in 2000 from Indiana.
#10 (permalink) Old 01-31-2005, 10:54 AM
n00b

Bret is an unknown quantity at this point
Proud owner of an '01' M5 here. I was also facing the same situation of family needs vs daddy's need for a toy. My children were 6 and 9 when I made my purchase.

For me, reality dictated that a 4 door was what was needed. Perhaps you don't transport the kids very often, or you'd use a different car at those time. I found car seats, kids and their gear make for a difficult situation in any 2 door. As you kids grow bigger, the small back seat of an M3 just won't work for anything other than short distances.

Take both for an extended drive before you decide. Bring the kids, car seats, etc for at least the M3 drive to understand the cramped quarters with your family in the car.

My brother has a '99' M3 conv and his wife a '96' M3 coupe. M3's and M5's are very different cars, but are on the same performace level. Keep thinking about what you want from the car from a utilitarian standpoint. The M3 won't seem as fun if it makes things in your life more difficult than they needed to be. Also, the M5's are a little more subtle in their appearance(a wolf in sheeps clothing/less law enforcement attention).

Good luck with your decision and search.
#11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2005, 11:08 PM
n00b

a_ok2me is an unknown quantity at this point
I guess kids are not an issue in this case. I have an M5. I always see M3s speeding up from behind to look at it. I just think you're in a higher class if you have the 5. But, that's just my ego talking and I expect a beating just for saying that. I haven't driven an M3, so I'm not the best source of opinion. I would think the wife would like the convertible though and maybe prefers not to use a manual tran. I think the decision will be clear if you test drive both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)