BMW Werkz banner

How does your side mirror fold?

5K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Furious 
#1 ·
What tirggers the cool folding of the E46 M3 mirrors? Is it a switch? Where is the switch located? Or does it automatically fold when you start or turn the car off...?

The reason I ask, is that I am getting M3 mirrors retro-fitted by a specialty store in my area on my 325i sport, and want to know the best and cleanest way to do it...preferably, closest to the original...Thank you!

#7 ·
Originally posted by e36_m3_Turbo@Jun 13 2004, 09:57 AM
Just like european models have daytime lights on the e36. Also known as city lights.
City lights are not allowed for driving, only for parking at bad lighting places beside a road.

#8 ·
Originally posted by dutchbmw+Jun 13 2004, 06:43 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dutchbmw @ Jun 13 2004, 06:43 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-e36_m3_Turbo@Jun 13 2004, 09:57 AM
Just like european models have daytime lights on the e36. Also known as city lights.
City lights are not allowed for driving, only for parking at bad lighting places beside a road. [/b][/quote]
Even during the day?

#12 ·
Yes, you're right. They can switch on all 4 of them, or only the 2 left or 2 right ones. See also the image below. When it grows dark this car put the right city lights on. Bikers or other vehicles can see this car much better which raise safety!

BTW, the lights are only 5 Watt each.

Attachments

#13 ·
I actually live in Asia. I think cars here follow the Euro specs more closely than US specs though. We have the rear (red) fog lights here, and I know US does not have that as standard.

I used to live in the Us when the E46 M3 first came out, and they do have folding mirros, I assumed they were automatic, but now, I am not sure.

I think what everyone is talking about is parking lights...when you switch off the engine on my car, you can move the signal light lever to the left or right side depending on where you are parked, and the brake light and the front signal light will turn on without blinking, just to make your car more visible.

Getting back to topic...I finally got the M3 look mirror, with the folding mechanism. The problem is, the socket to the motor of the mirror does not match the socket of the original mirror I have. :banghead the electrician I got to install it would not find a by-pass way to make it work. AS of the moment we are still doing research on how it can work...and hopefully still retain the seat momory function, and the function where the right side mirror points down when in reverse! :help The folding thing works, I just installed a separate switch for that. Also want to find out if I can get an original M3 switch for it and would it fit a 4-door car. Any help would be appreciated!

#14 ·
Daylights? I'm UK and there is no such thing.

Volvo's come fitted with 'running lights' which means that the lights are on half beam all the time. The reason for this is that Scandanavia is so dark that they have to drive with their lights on all the time. UK bm's do not have this feature. The new Audi A8 does.

I think the light you are refering to are FOG LIGHTS as discussed yesterday. These have a bright glare for driving with poor visibility.

Did you get the e36 or 46 mirrors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.