help with SMG - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 11:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car: 95 740, 95 325i
Photos:
mrigas is on a distinguished road
help with SMG

I test drove a 2004 M3 with SMG today and have a few questions for those with experience with this auto.

1) are you able to get it to shift smootly in the automatic drive mode? in 15 minutes with this car it kept letting off the gas before it shifted each gear and it felt like a 15 year old learning how to drive a stick shift car
2) in the manual mode, i was able to get it to up and down shift easily and was able to play with the shift firmness control button and got the shifting down pretty good. Question here is where do you spend most of your time, in the auto mode around town or always like the manual mode unless in bumper to bumper traffic?
3) any other thoughts about the SMG vs standard 6 speed manual?

thanks

mike
mrigas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2007, 02:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
5th Gear Member

Car: 2003 330i ZHP
Photos:
red330Iperfpkg is just really nicered330Iperfpkg is just really nicered330Iperfpkg is just really nicered330Iperfpkg is just really nice
Send a message via AIM to red330Iperfpkg
just go 6 speed man. please.

sig done by SpeedInfusion

2001 740i sport
2003 330i ZHP
2003 M5
2005 A4 1.8T
2006 750Li sport

red330Iperfpkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
drz
Administrator

Car: zhp
Photos:
drz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond reputedrz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
^^ I would listen to him. He's gone through two E46 M3's and one SMG M5 that they decided to sell.

SMG is a great concept, but I think they still havent refined it completely.

To address your questions:

1) No
2) Depends on the driver. I would stay on manual all the time.
3) 6-sp
Old 01-11-2007, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)
teh Canuck....eh

Car: '86 E30, baby! '05 Legacy 2.5GT Ltd
Photos:
PhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond reputePhatCat has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to PhatCat
6 spd FTW mrigas!
Old 01-12-2007, 02:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
1. It's always rough and has been criticized greatly for it's incompetency in auto mode.

2. Most people I knwo stick to the manual mdoe and rarely ever move to auto mode. It's not like theres a clutch pedal anyways.

3. Normally I would say 6 speed only. I'm a big manual only fan. But after racing and hearing my buddies e46 M3 SMG over and over again I can't get over how fast it shifts. The shifts can be mind bloing fast. This coupled with his headers, mid sections and titanium exhaust create a symphony that onyl be described as a step below Formula car sounding. I'm astonished at the shifts. it doesnt seem as fun and as i've driven it I never felt as in control as I should be. This is probably due to lack of experience with SMG. I say, if you really want SMG, go for it and dont let it hold you back.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Rodeojoe is on a distinguished road
Looked at both SMG and 6 speed when I purchased the 04, was told about the delay in the SMG when in the automatic mode.. ended up with the 6 speed and have been happy with it.
Rodeojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 02:33 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
EmPower is on a distinguished road
SMG is tricky...I only drive in the manual mode (not the paddles!!!) and I love it. Went to auto once and it sucks...DONT EVER DRIVE IN AUTO AGAIN! Hint: dont take your foot off the gas before it shifts...why would you do that??
EmPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)