Help - Engine Won't Idle - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 11-25-2004, 07:23 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
C-Note is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Ok - All of a sudden my 97 E39 (AT) will not idle. It will start just fine - but if I don't keep the accelerator slightly down it will not keep running. I can even put it in gear and drive - but it takes a two footed symphony to keep the engine running without braking too hard and too fast - lot's of "FUN" (had to get it home from work!). Any suggestions?

Also - my drivetrain I think is really screwed - please check out my other posting from week or so ago and give me some suggestions - it would be very helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 11-29-2004, 07:45 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

DesmoBob is an unknown quantity at this point
did the engine light come on? if possible, try to get the codes read. i have read many times that autozone will do this for free (but i cannot verify since there is no autozone in my town).

icv might be stuck. gas cap or oil cap could be loose. maybe a misfire. maybe a vacuum leak. with the idle as bad as you described, a vacuum hose may even have slipped off a fitting. but this will usually give you a lambda fault. all kinds of things could cause poor idle, getting the codes can narrow down your search.

#3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 PM
n00b

juallhuce is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by C-Note@Nov 25 2004, 06:23 PM
Ok - All of a sudden my 97 E39 (AT) will not idle. It will start just fine - but if I don't keep the accelerator slightly down it will not keep running. I can even put it in gear and drive - but it takes a two footed symphony to keep the engine running without braking too hard and too fast - lot's of "FUN" (had to get it home from work!). Any suggestions?

Also - my drivetrain I think is really screwed - please check out my other posting from week or so ago and give me some suggestions - it would be very helpful and very much appreciated. Thanks!
[snapback]237341[/snapback]

You're looking at a vaccum leak by the way you describe it. I guarantee it. It's not going to be any thing to do with your IAC(idle air control) valve. If it was, you'd have a surging symptom because DME would try to compensate for the lack, or the excessive amount of air. Go to autozone or wherever sells carburator cleaner. Get a buddy to crank and keep the car running. Spray the carb cleaner all over your vaccum hoses. When your idle rises, check the hose where you just sprayed. You'll probably see a broken hose or a missing hose or in most cases a crankcase ventvalve is cracked.
#4 (permalink) Old 12-21-2004, 03:17 PM
n00b

grtmoby is an unknown quantity at this point
There is a small cover over the intake manifold tightened with two 10 nuts. Remove this cover and there is a hose underneath, check it for being torn and leaking air.
#5 (permalink) Old 12-22-2004, 12:57 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
check your MAF (mass air flow) valve, most likely that's the problem and needs to be replaced. Go to the 5 series Forum for additional information.

LOS
#6 (permalink) Old 01-02-2005, 10:37 AM
n00b

schuetze is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem. I went out and bought a code reader and it indicated a MAF problem just like LOS said. I removed the MAF - blew it out with some compressed air - and now it works OK - for now. At least the problem is isolated and I can buy a new air flow sensor after the Christmas bills.

@rt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)