BMW Werkz banner

Hello Newbie Here

2K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  M3 Chick 
#1 ·
Hi everyone :wave

I'm 23 and currently own an 05 plate Honda Civic Type R.

In the near future i'm thinking about the switch to an E46 M3 :thumbs

Just need all the advice i can get and what to pay etc..

Many thanks.

#7 ·
well im guessin you havent driven a SMG... i would go to the dealer and fuck up there trannys and see if you would lik the SMG over the 6 speed manuel.. oh yeah. the first few years they were out. they had a engine problem causing them to over heat.

#11 ·
well just warnign you. the bmw transmission is nothing like a regural transmission, the feel is something to get used to. but is very much set up for performance in the driver.

#12 ·
Moving from a Japanesse car to a German car is a big difference. BMWs are made for Sports and Comfort, basically BMW is the most luxurious sports car you can buy (where as Mercedes is the sportiest luxury car you can buy). The M3 is probably to me and many who don't have one (like my buddys with Z06 Vettes, GTO and RX8) envy the vast abilities from track use, to back seat and trunk and even drag strip use. It is very versatile and when you want to be nice and gentle and go for a drive and impress a woman, she will melt into the leather seats. I personally have the E36 M3, its cheaper to own and cheaper to upgrade for now. The E46 is still expensive and will be 'til the Newer M3 comes out.
Anyway, I would go with the Manual tranmission too. People I know who ordered an M3 with SMG like it, but miss the manual transmission and the reliability of it. Remember, more moving parts equal more expensive repairs.
You could have a very nice example of an E36 M3 right now, go take a look at one. Drive it for a few years, and soon enough the E46s will lower in Value and maybe you can have two! :p
Good luck in your search!
:driving

#14 ·
Originally posted by Ralphy@Jul 26 2005, 11:50 AM
Oh and i want Lacuna Seca Blue!
[snapback]365244[/snapback]​
I love that color!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! B) But my personal favorite and I agree with fred on this one the envy of at least some of my friends (Rx-7, and rotary lovers, and some honda crazy people, {eww, hondas}) is the M3 ofcourse (just in case you could tell by my site name) but :welcome hope you have fun bimmer shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 ·
When you look at BMW M3s, don't look at the year, that's a bad idea. BMWs last a long time and they all have unique qualities, especially the M3s. The 88 M3 was a race machine with street attire and has an amzing turbocharged high revving 4 cylinder with 192 hp, and at the time that was more than a Camaro. The E36 M3 ('90s) was probably one of the most popular cars of the 90s, with a tuned down european spec engine but plenty or torque and great looks, doing 0-60s in close to 5 seconds flat. the current M3, the E46 is a monster, 333 hp and 0-60 times under 5 seconds, plus great looks its an amazing car for the price. I personally think the E46s are over priced, new or used, plus they are heavier than the E36. It is all preference. I was easily able to afford a new M3, but I went with the 98 E36 M3 because of the infatuation I have had with it since I was a new driver in the 90s. If you are looking for a brand new M3, in the special color, look to spend 50-60 grand. For that amount I have a Tahoe, my M3 and a lot of upgraded parts in my car!

#17 ·
Originally posted by Ralphy@Jul 31 2005, 06:59 AM
I'm not American or Canadian people!!!

I don't want a old car, i want one with low mileage.

No more than 10,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with Honda's either M3 chick, you obviously haven't seen the Civic Type R which we get in Europe.
[snapback]366357[/snapback]​

How does not being American or Canadian and wanting a low milage car relate?
... just curious...

Daemon
:devil

#19 ·
Originally posted by FREDPLT@Jul 30 2005, 05:23 PM
When you look at BMW M3s, don't look at the year, that's a bad idea. BMWs last a long time and they all have unique qualities, especially the M3s. The 88 M3 was a race machine with street attire and has an amzing turbocharged high revving 4 cylinder with 192 hp, and at the time that was more than a Camaro. The E36 M3 ('90s) was probably one of the most popular cars of the 90s, with a tuned down european spec engine but plenty or torque and great looks, doing 0-60s in close to 5 seconds flat. the current M3, the E46 is a monster, 333 hp and 0-60 times under 5 seconds, plus great looks its an amazing car for the price. I personally think the E46s are over priced, new or used, plus they are heavier than the E36. It is all preference. I was easily able to afford a new M3, but I went with the 98 E36 M3 because of the infatuation I have had with it since I was a new driver in the 90s. If you are looking for a brand new M3, in the special color, look to spend 50-60 grand. For that amount I have a Tahoe, my M3 and a lot of upgraded parts in my car!
[snapback]366259[/snapback]​
Is that 50,000 dollers or British pounds?! Because 50 grand is very expensive for an M3!
A new E46 M3 costs £43,000

#21 ·
Originally posted by Ralphy@Jul 31 2005, 09:02 PM
I said i'm not American or Canadian because people were talking to me about pricing, American cars are ALOT cheeper than ones here in the UK.
[snapback]366487[/snapback]​
Yes, I know about the huge price differences but that also depends where in the US you're located.

I just thought you implied having a lower milage car in the UK was cheaper for some reason, which apparently you didn't.

In Germany it's better to have a newer car tho... cheaper insurance (go figure).

Daemon

#22 ·
Originally posted by M3Daemon+Aug 1 2005, 10:32 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M3Daemon @ Aug 1 2005, 10:32 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Ralphy@Jul 31 2005, 09:02 PM
I said i'm not American or Canadian because people were talking to me about pricing, American cars are ALOT cheeper than ones here in the UK.
[snapback]366487[/snapback]​
Yes, I know about the huge price differences but that also depends where in the US you're located.

I just thought you implied having a lower milage car in the UK was cheaper for some reason, which apparently you didn't.

In Germany it's better to have a newer car tho... cheaper insurance (go figure).

Daemon
[snapback]366572[/snapback]​
[/b][/quote]

In a sense it is alot cheaper having a low mileage car yes. My Honda has a 3 year/90k mile warranty for peace of mind.

Older cars bring problems.

#23 ·
Originally posted by Ralphy@Aug 1 2005, 06:17 AM
In a sense it is alot cheaper having a low mileage car yes. My Honda has a 3 year/90k mile warranty for peace of mind.
Older cars bring problems.
[snapback]366582[/snapback]​
It sounds like you're saying it's cheaper because of possible failures in older cars... but that obviously applies to everywhere. If you're talking about repair costs at dealerships they are outragous in the US as well :banghead

Daemon

#24 ·
Originally posted by Ralphy@Jul 31 2005, 06:59 AM
I'm not American or Canadian people!!!

I don't want a old car, i want one with low mileage.

No more than 10,000 miles.

Nothing wrong with Honda's either M3 chick, you obviously haven't seen the Civic Type R which we get in Europe.
[snapback]366357[/snapback]​
Sorry, Did I hurt your feelings? Well then show me what the hondas over there are like. B)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.