Ground Clearance On M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 06:35 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cpadpl is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
My dealer ordered my 2005 M3 (only $500 deposit required) some time ago and it will be arriving next month. Can anyone give me an approximate idea as to the ground clearance on these things? I know it is low, but presuming no lower than other cars like Corvettes and Porsches (which I know have about a 4.2 to 4.3 ground clearance).

I have a decent sized dip going into my parking garage at work, and realize that even if there was potentially a problem I could always use the "approach at an angle" trick to avoid a nasty bump. However, since there are plenty of Vettes and Porsches that make it in no problem, I figure I don't even have to worry if I can find out the approximate ground clearance.

Thanks for your help. Mine will have the 18inch wheels, which I think actually sit a millimeter or two higher than the 19inch wheels due to the necessary decrease in tire height of the 19inch tires to accomodate the larger rims.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 08:12 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Maybe I should check up on that too...
I just wanted to point out that the M3 is also comparatively snub nosed; so that you probably won't have to worry too much about scraping the section underneath the front of the car - it's just behind the front wheels that you have to worry about...

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#3 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 03:56 PM
n00b

BMW|M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I don't know. Definitly measure the angle because my close friends 2004 M3 was scratched up when he was leaving a parking garage in NYC. Those slopes aren't very deep at all. However, he does have the 19" wheels. Just to be safe, I would go measure even though I pretty sure you will be fine.

- Chase
#4 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 05:04 PM
n00b

edrock200 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by BMW|M3@Mar 29 2005, 04:56 PM
I don't know. Definitly measure the angle because my close friends 2004 M3 was scratched up when he was leaving a parking garage in NYC. Those slopes aren't very deep at all. However, he does have the 19" wheels. Just to be safe, I would go measure even though I pretty sure you will be fine.

- Chase
[snapback]321074[/snapback]
My car sits pretty low and I have a significant dip going into my garage. I have no problem as long as I go slow and no one else is in the car. Otherwise do the angle thing or make everyone meet you outside the garage. :P

Unless I'm mistaken there is some sort of guard underneath the car to absorb scrapes. Can anyone else confirm?
#5 (permalink) Old 03-29-2005, 06:44 PM
n00b

BMW|M3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I am not quite sure if there is a guard. But I saw what the parking garage did to my friends 2004 M3 Convertible. It wasn't that noticeable since I didn't notice it until he pointed it out, but the front bumper under the car was kind of ripped. It was under the car that was ripped a little bit. It also has some scrapes on the bottom of the bumper that are noticeable if you are looking. There might be some sort of protector, but it sure didn't work on my friends.

- Chase
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)