Gathering thoughts - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 09:39 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
zoomzoom is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Gathering thoughts

I am giving what is about to become some serious consideration on buying a new M5. Would anyone care to share some thoughts, other than "have you lost your mind?"
Thanks, ZZ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:01 AM
Been here a while.

97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all 97alpineM3 is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to 97alpineM3 Send a message via MSN to 97alpineM3
Depends on your finacial status.. if you can pay for it.. and maintenance...

Damn right go for it!

I love those cars.

Les

1997 E36 M3 1990 E30 325i
#3 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 11:26 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Well, if you can afford maintenance after the 5 years free... Then you'd be stupid to pass it up. ///m5 is GOD. Perfection in motion. I need a towel.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2006, 01:11 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
It's a fine piece of machinery. I dont see why you wouldn't want one.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#5 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 03:51 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
yeah, price wise , if you can afford, not just the car , but the insurance and maintainance on it. id say hell yeah buy one.

#6 (permalink) Old 03-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Agree with all of you, and from a knee jerk reaction, buying it is not a question. Cost impact is not all that great in that my X5, 4.8i will aid in defraying some of the expense, plus another "collector" that I am selling. Maintanance is not a question as the car will be long gone (replaced) by the time the warranty expires. Insurance, well, thats a cost of doing business (driving). But, (I know this is a BMW forum so please don't shoot) while I love my BMWs (note plural) anybody have any thoughts on:

Audi AWD, or the Mercedes E55 AMG. Simular cost, but I doubt simular performance, although the E55 AMG looks to be a close second.

Another question, anybody ever taken European delivery? Thanks, ZZ
#7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 01:28 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Although you seem to prefer the e55 AMG, I think that if you disregard the BMW, the RS6 would be worth the money more than anything AMG puts out. You might call me crazy, but for all the power that Merc puts on their cars, even a poorly balanced Audi (relative to the construction of a well-put together bimmer) is better than the merc; and the RS6 is definitely no slouch.

Yummy num 4-wheel drive. Plus Audi seems to be pulling their maintenance bits together.

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#8 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 03:59 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
the e55 is an amazing car, i wont deny its dues. just consider all points and financial situations when you get down to the serious part of the purchasing.

#9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2006, 09:13 AM
7th Gear (SMG)

I do not disagree with you, Furious.

Actually, if you want to wait a little bit, one of my friends is thinking about purchasing an e55 AMG... For his daily driver. If he's already gone through with that, then I'll ask him what he thinks about him. I think I convinced him to go CLK amg, though...

1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
#10 (permalink) Old 03-06-2006, 11:35 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
There is a very good article in this months (March) Roundel regarding European deliveries. I have taken delivery of two cars at the performance center in South Carolina, and that is a nice experience. The European delivery is appealing. ZZ
#11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 09:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
I'll get one "someday". Just a matter of time. I'll wait for round 2 to hit the US and then wait another year or 2 and buy one used/coming off lease. That's how I've puchased my "M" collection so far. I'd really like to see the new M5 join my E39 M5 and M-Roaster :-). Course that M6 is looking awfully tempting.

*sigh* I'll never retire. I'll forever have to work to buy these cars...
#12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
I am still pondering the possibility. Not that it really matters, but, given the current cost of gas, the idea of single digit gas mileage is not appealing however. Speaking of gas mileage, anybody got any accurate info on what can be expected with a new M5. I have heard all kinds of numbers (none which are good). Still like the car. ZZ
#13 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 06:51 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
It should be double digit gas mielage if you are utilizing the 400 hp 8 cylinder mode.

#14 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Oops, should have noted, new 2006/7 M5 - V10
#15 (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Keep it Copacetic

Thats what im talking about. When you drive the M5 you would be running on 8 cylinders and only 400 bhp. Then BMW added this option on the steering wheel. You press this little M button and your engine starst to use all 10 cylinders adn 50x bhp. The 8 cylinder mode is specifically meant to be more gas efficient. The data you are looking up is probably in the 10 cyl modes which is not default when you turn the key.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)