Funny Tire Wear/noise - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bitchincamaro is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
I have noticed in the past few months that my car has been making an increasingly loud hum coming from the front wheels while driving....

Most noticeable around 40mph.... First i was worried it might be something worse than just tires, but I took em off and they are both worn on the inside edge in a regular pattern all the way around.

Anyone know what this pattern means or had this happen to their car? (98 M3 sedan)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 11:12 AM
3rd Gear Member

///Matt is an unknown quantity at this point
The wearing of the inside edge of the tire is because your wheel alignment is off. You have what is called "negative camber." This is a pretty common car and occurs with age. To solve the problem, and save your tires, have your wheels aligned.

See the image for an explanation...

[attachmentid=18288]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	00000001.gif
Views:	80
Size:	14.2 KB
ID:	17237  
#3 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by ///Matt@Feb 10 2005, 11:12 AM
The wearing of the inside edge of the tire is because your wheel alignment is off. You have what is called "negative camber." This is a pretty common car and occurs with age. To solve the problem, and save your tires, have your wheels aligned.

See the image for an explanation...

[attachmentid=18288]
[snapback]289172[/snapback]
The tire is not worn uniformly all the way around, it is evenly "spotted". does this mean the same thing, wheel alignment problem?
#4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:13 PM
3rd Gear Member

I think it still would be the alignment.....unless you use your brakes like a maniac...
#5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 01:42 PM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Nah, the car is more prone to using the gas pedal like a maniac. Thanks, I guess i will get the alignment checked.

Another thing, I get a kind of creaking noise from the driver's side wheel when I turn all the way to the right... Any ideas?
#6 (permalink) Old 02-10-2005, 10:18 PM
3rd Gear Member

you've got me on that one....try making a new post
#7 (permalink) Old 02-12-2005, 11:17 PM
n00b

sniady is an unknown quantity at this point
the huming and wear. The humming usually comes from feathered tires. You need an alignment. I want to say your toe is out of spec. Camber can only be adjusted .5 -/+ on your car. If you're camber is out, it's more then likely a bent suspension component. Control arm, or bad bushings.

That noise you here when turning all the way to the right. Is it at high and low speeds, or just at stand still. If at stand still. It my be a power steering pump noise, which is a whine. A clunk is usually a bushing gone. Which is practical on those cars.
#8 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:07 AM
Neutral Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally posted by sniady@Feb 12 2005, 11:17 PM
the huming and wear. The humming usually comes from feathered tires. You need an alignment. I want to say your toe is out of spec. Camber can only be adjusted .5 -/+ on your car. If you're camber is out, it's more then likely a bent suspension component. Control arm, or bad bushings.

That noise you here when turning all the way to the right. Is it at high and low speeds, or just at stand still. If at stand still. It my be a power steering pump noise, which is a whine. A clunk is usually a bushing gone. Which is practical on those cars.
[snapback]290765[/snapback]
The noise when turning is only like when your are backing out of a parking spot where you have to turn your whell ALL the way. Sounds almost like the tire is rubbing against something...I am just curious if it is related to the problem i have with the tire wear... Thanks.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-14-2005, 11:24 AM
1st Gear Member

Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by bitchincamaro+Feb 14 2005, 12:07 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bitchincamaro @ Feb 14 2005, 12:07 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-sniady@Feb 12 2005, 11:17 PM

[snapback]290765[/snapback]
The noise when turning is only like when your are backing out of a parking spot where you have to turn your whell ALL the way. Sounds almost like the tire is rubbing against something...I am just curious if it is related to the problem i have with the tire wear... Thanks.
[snapback]291703[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

I used to get that on my 94 325i when i would turn the wheel all the way while backing out. is that the only time that you get the noise? if so then most likely it is that you are reaching the max turn radius while backing out.

Chant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)