Euro VS North American M3 (e36) - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2004, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Nihil is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm thinking about importing a Euro M3 Evo into Canada after seeing the specs for it, and reading some rave reviews. But I've also heard that they don't perform that much better then the North American market ones. Is this true?
Questions:
1) has anyone driven both? I'd like to hear a comparison
2) what were the main differences? Is it true that the NA one had no Vanos?
3) what's better, the 3.0 litre or the 3.2 litre?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Warren

PS: my current car is a 1992 Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo, but I'd like to get something more practical, which is why I'm thinking M3.
Nihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2004, 06:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Keep it Copacetic

Car: 1995 BMW M3
Photos:
///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
First off, an ///M3 isn't just considered practical, but rather a true luxury sports car.

1. I have not, but the Euro version is supposed to not only haul ass better, but also handle better.

2. Main differences, the engine, Non vanos? All of them above 1993 (inclusive) had vanos. Where there M3's in europe before 95? only the "m teknique" ones?

3. For this question are you asking for American or Euro? In either one, the OBDI 3.9 liter engine is more moddifiable and is prefered if you are into that stuff here in US spec. The euro version however has about 50 more hp in the 3.2 liter version so it would really matter on preference. If you are goign to really heavily modify the engine, then go OBDI. Otherwise, Euro OBDII.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
///M Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 08:19 PM   #3 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
MrM3 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MrM3
all the US M3 engines had single vanos, the euro 3.2L had double vanos. the euro motors have alot more power in the top end but ive heard various people say the US engines actually pull on the euro ones through low to mid range. also, parts for the euro engines are alot more expensive. i'm not sure if the 96-99 euro engine had obd-II since I always thought it was only mandatory for US cars back then
MrM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 03:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Nihil is an unknown quantity at this point
Hmm, that's interesting.
Thank you!
Nihil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
95m3driva is an unknown quantity at this point
believe it or not but the euro m3 is heavier, so thats why i can believe the us spec would pull on the euro in the lower gears and rpm range but because of the euro's double vanos it is faster in th top end
95m3driva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 01:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Car:
Photos:
dutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond reputedutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Cannot believe a US kicks an Euro. At MSN autos I saw the US 3.2L has 240 HP, while the Euro does 321 HP.

The run 0-60 mph goes in 5.82 sec (MSN Auto) and the Euro 3.2L in 5.5 sec the 0 100 km/h. This means the euro is just a little more faster when be doing the 0 - 60 mph!
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
dutchbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)