E46 M3 Vs Cts-v And 300c Srt-8 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2005, 08:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
wxman is an unknown quantity at this point
I recently bought a new '05 M3 with a 6-speed. Has anyone with an M3 raced either of these 2 cars, and what was the result? My thought without having raced either is that both of these (esp the SRT8 ) cars may be able to pull a little on the M3 during a roll-on. Can the M3 with 262 lb/ft of torque compete with torque between 390 and 420 lb/ft of the others. All 3 have similar power to weight ratios. Thanks.
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2005, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
Mortiorchis is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by wxman@May 15 2005, 07:11 AM
I recently bought a new '05 M3 with a 6-speed. Has anyone with an M3 raced either of these 2 cars, and what was the result? My thought without having raced either is that both of these (esp the SRT8 ) cars may be able to pull a little on the M3 during a roll-on. Can the M3 with 262 lb/ft of torque compete with torque between 390 and 420 lb/ft of the others. All 3 have similar power to weight ratios. Thanks.
[snapback]344653[/snapback]
You give pictures, we give answers
Old 05-18-2005, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
As I do not know about the CTS and SRT-8's gearing, I would be inclined to say, "who knows?" Looking at 0-60's and quarter miles ONLY, we see....
(0-60 then .25)

2005 Cadillac CTS-V 4.8 13.20
2004 Cadillac CTS-V (6-Speed Man.) 5.2 13.70

2003 BMW M3 4.8 13.60

... and I can't seem to find the srt8... although I admit I'm not looking too hard.
Just from those times I'd expect the BMW to be equal to the CTS unless rolling at high speeds, and I'm pretty sure the srt8 can eat both of the other cars. But I'm not certain. And this doesn't take into account driver ability, road conditions, CURVES, and whatnot.

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 11:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@May 18 2005, 06:22 AM
As I do not know about the CTS and SRT-8's gearing, I would be inclined to say, "who knows?" Looking at 0-60's and quarter miles ONLY, we see....
(0-60 then .25)

2003 BMW M3 4.8 13.60

... and I can't seem to find the srt8... although I admit I'm not looking too hard.
Just from those times I'd expect the BMW to be equal to the CTS unless rolling at high speeds, and I'm pretty sure the srt8 can eat both of the other cars. But I'm not certain. And this doesn't take into account driver ability, road conditions, CURVES, and whatnot.
[snapback]345577[/snapback]

off the line the wheel hop destroys the v's 0-60(not to mention chews through its rear diff). with our wheel hop correction kit its performance is increased further by about .2 seconds.

the v in general WILL pull on the m3 in almost any gear just because of its torque, but i'd still take a m3 over a v. for the most part i just dont like the blind spots in the v and it feels like you are riding high in it, even when the seat is at its lowest setting. feels like you are riding on it, instead of in it.. unlike the m3.
still a very comfortable crusing car though.

i just completed 1200 miles in 1 day (AZ to CA and back) and other then a slight back ache due to not *quite* sufficient lumbar support, its a good cruiser.

cant speak for the srt8, only seen it in person, never driven it.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
7th Gear (SMG)

Car:
Photos:
4evrwyntr is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to 4evrwyntr Send a message via MSN to 4evrwyntr Send a message via Yahoo to 4evrwyntr
Ahh... wheel hop, I always forget that. Thanks for the in depth comparison... yup those american cars really got that oomph...

Crap, I think I may be a yuppie...
1998 BMW e36 M3 Sedan
2003 MINI Cooper
4evrwyntr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 05:45 PM   #6 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
RedlinedRU is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to RedlinedRU
Quote:
Originally posted by 4evrwyntr@May 18 2005, 08:22 AM
(0-60 then .25)

2003 BMW M3 4.8 13.60

[snapback]345577[/snapback]

I got slightly different specs for the M3 which I have always heard. It does the quarter in less than 13.6 I guarantee that.

2002 BMW M3 4.7 13.4

so with the cts-v only .2 sec faster in the quarter, and 0-60 very slightly favors the bimmer, its really a driver's race.Go show 'em what ya got if you're any good.

<span style='color:green'>
AMG can't build an NA engine that can compete with M engines, so they stick in a supercharger and say their cars are faster. BMW could simply do the same, but they don't out of principle.</span>
RedlinedRU is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)