e46 m3 ls1 swap? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:17 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
loss4u is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e46 m3 ls1 swap?

Has anyone on this forum attempted this, or possibly knows of someone on another forum who has done said swap? Are tubular K members(or the like) available for the car?

I've decided to sell my daily driver and pick up a leguna seca blue m3 coupe. I really just love the color, now it comes down to finding one. I'm a GM nazi at heart, I have owned 6 LSx powered cars now, everything from mild to wild, this would probably make a pretty cool project.

Info?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 08:55 PM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
wtf would u put a ls engine in a car already making 333hp and sub 5 second 0-60?

i'm all for ls engines in bmw's but thats... senseless.

#3 (permalink) Old 04-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Neutral Member

ss325 is on a distinguished road
maybe you could buy a ferrari and do a cummins turbo diesal swap...

#4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:07 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nukeduster View Post
wtf would u put a ls engine in a car already making 333hp and sub 5 second 0-60?

i'm all for ls engines in bmw's but thats... senseless.
I'd hardly call it senseless. I suppose if 333hp is enough for YOU, then a stock m3 is the perfect car for YOU. I asked for answers, not opinions.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:21 AM
Neutral Member

iv never heard of it being done. you will have to do a lot of custom cutting and welding to get everything to fit, where you could just do a couple mods for less money and hassle (turbos, etc) to the stock engine and still put out 500hp. i guess you would have a unique car if you did do it, but it just seems like an unneccessary effort

#6 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM
Neutral Member

messing with and trying to adapt the massive amounts of electronics and sensors in a e46 would be a nightmare too...

#7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 12:35 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss325 View Post
iv never heard of it being done. you will have to do a lot of custom cutting and welding to get everything to fit, where you could just do a couple mods for less money and hassle (turbos, etc) to the stock engine and still put out 500hp. i guess you would have a unique car if you did do it, but it just seems like an unneccessary effort
Quote:
messing with and trying to adapt the massive amounts of electronics and sensors in a e46 would be a nightmare too...
What kind of power to stock m3 bottom ends take? How are the street manners of a 650-700hp m3? If it were as easy as turboing the car to make said numbers, I'd consider it, but I don't think thats the case.

The cutting/welding/wiring isn't really a concern of mine, this isn't my first rodeo, though I've never hacked up a BMW wiring harness.
#8 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 01:04 AM
4th Gear Member

PrInG has a spectacular aura about PrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
I think the idea of it being senseless is why cut up a Car that is engineered perfectly for that specific motor to fit so it HANDLES. like a BMW ... If you wanna get mass horsepower then why don't you put the LS1 in a geo metro and leave the M be the perfect peice of engineering that it is... but if you must..

Look at Horsepower Freaks turbo kits.. From most of the videos they post it seems that their cars are streetable but stupid fast when you want them to be .. Its all about how much money you want to spend.. And if you bought an E46 M3 and are thinking about cutting it up and putting an LS1 in it then obviously that isn't an issue.

TO HONOR: Get Honor Stay Honor if You Can't Come in Her Come Honor.

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow
#9 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 07:55 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
what is an ls engine?
#10 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 04:55 PM
Neutral Member

go to VF-Engineering - Forced Induction Systems for Volkswagen, Audi, BMW and Porsche
they have some 600+ hp stuff with stock bottom end or go to Active Autowerke - BMW Performance, M3 Performance Tuner, BMW Supercharger, BMW Turbo, BMW M3 Turbo, BMW M3 Supercharger
these are just bolt on kits pretty much... you can get more if you look into some custom turbos and everything. the stock bottom end should hold, but you will need to beef up your drivetrain quite a bit

#11 (permalink) Old 04-09-2009, 05:04 PM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolvegase34 View Post
what is an ls engine?
LS is the GM designation for the Corvette V8 engines. It can also be found in other cars like the Vauxhall Monaro VXR (Holden VE Commodore), Pontiac G8 GT and even the Cadillac CTS-V. It's been used in Camaros and some trucks as well.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#12 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 12:33 AM
1st Gear Member

coolvegase34 is an unknown quantity at this point
oh, ok. Thanks for the info. The bmw would reject the engine just based on it being American. I agree with the consensus. You have to be high on crack to put an american engine in a BMW, let alone an M3. However, if you managed to find an old bmw without an engine and wanted to fool around with it, you might be onto something. Ex, 1985 5, series etc. Why not go with the m5?
#13 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 03:01 AM
n00b

Gunjalubba will become famous soon enough Gunjalubba will become famous soon enough
Quote:
maybe you could buy a ferrari and do a cummins turbo diesal swap...
Now that was funny. Just a little cuttin here and dere, end result would be like those monster rod stickers like they had as a kid. Brugh please do something better with your money. Give to the United Way, Save the 2002's, hell give it to those gothic grungey malcontents at PITA, but leave the monster making to Dr. Frankenstein.

Last edited by Gunjalubba; 04-11-2009 at 03:08 AM. Reason: more to add
#14 (permalink) Old 04-11-2009, 05:41 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by loss4u View Post
I'd hardly call it senseless. I suppose if 333hp is enough for YOU, then a stock m3 is the perfect car for YOU. I asked for answers, not opinions.
The senseless part is the using of an m3.. buy a 325ci and use that instead.. its purely a waste of money getting the m only to ditch the part you're paying extra for. 333hp isnt enough for me, in fact. its why i'm probably doing a ls2 + 6 spd swap into my 8 series.

but otherwise the swap isnt terribly difficult. i've seen it done a few times.. its easiest to use aftermarket gauge clusters then trying to get the stock one to work. wiring is painful on bmw's.

#15 (permalink) Old 04-16-2009, 11:22 PM
n00b

mdixon7795 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG View Post
I think the idea of it being senseless is why cut up a Car that is engineered perfectly for that specific motor to fit so it HANDLES. like a BMW ... If you wanna get mass horsepower then why don't you put the LS1 in a geo metro and leave the M be the perfect peice of engineering that it is... but if you must..

Look at Horsepower Freaks turbo kits.. From most of the videos they post it seems that their cars are streetable but stupid fast when you want them to be .. Its all about how much money you want to spend.. And if you bought an E46 M3 and are thinking about cutting it up and putting an LS1 in it then obviously that isn't an issue.

sorry to bring up an old post, but this project is something I've been thinking about my self... I was wondering if you could explain to me, how swaping in an ls1 or ls2 would compromise the m3 handeling? Stock to stock, the ls motor makes more hp, and torque than the S54 engine. Ls motor is all aluminum, vs the S54 having a cast iron block/aluminum heads.. making it HEAVIER than the ls1/ls2. Not to mention.. the Ls motor is shorter than the S54, allowing the ls motor to sit further back in the engine compartment.. which would obviously shift more weight towards the back making weight distribution better. Sooo, how could swaping in a power plant with more hp/torque, is lighter, and offers better 50/50 weight distribution make the handeling worse?? seems to me like handeling would be improved... not to mention, 16 grand for the stage 1 HPF turbo kit?? are you serious? you could build a pretty sick ass LS motor, for half the money you'd spend on a HPF kit for the S54 engine... just my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)