E39 M5 - things I've had fixed lately - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 07:41 PM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
(Thread Starter)
E39 M5 - things I've had fixed lately

Thought it may be of interest to some on some things that have cropped up at 66k miles on my 2000 M5.

Instrument cluster - pixels gone out. No surprise here. BMWNA was kind enough to pickup 50% of the cost. I'm pleased that they are willing on this still on an 8 year old car. I'm in "cool" mode atm as the new cluster is gray instead of black. So far I think I like the look. I certainly went "woah am I in the right car!?" when I picked my car up.

Front wheel bearings - clicking noise is what I had checked. Same clicking noise that was described in the September 2007 issue of BMW car. The author there had the same problem with his 1999 E39 M5. Which ironically is so much like mine it's scary. Same color, same upgrades, millage etc. Only difference was I like my interior better and mine is 1 year newer. We even have the same keychain... odd...

On the subject of wheel bearings. My rear ones have been replaced... twice. what's up with that?

Exhaust valve timing sensors. 2 of them this time. Just 2k miles ago I had 1 go bad too. So 3 total this year. Why don't they just replace all of them together? *humpf*

As far as the other E39 M5 articles in the Sept issue of BMW Car. They are great! So much of what is said about the car is so very true.

However, of note. Mine does not burn oil. I go from oil change to oil change and the oil level never goes down. On the subject of Vanos, while I've this year been replacing cam shaft sensors for the exhaust cams I've not had any Vanos issues. However, I keep asking around what I should be worried about as my 2000 M5 is right in the range of cars that people have said always have issues. I'm still under warranty so if I'm going to have an issue I hope to have it soon!

Another thing brought up in the BMW Car on the E39 was his playful time following a new Alpina B2 Bi-Turbo. While I don't have one of those to "play" with I did come across a new 335 that wanted to play the other day. I most assuredly handed him his butt. Or rather the only thing he saw was my fading butt as I pulled away from him like a Ferrari vs a Yugo. :-) It is truly wonderful driving an 8 year old car and totally stomping a brand new addition.

And I must say.... Driving a car that is 8 years old but still commands an article in a current magazines is truly a joy :-) Seeing my car plastered all over a new magazine first had my wondering if the newsstand just had some wicked old stuff on the shelf. That said, the writer of the article wanted people to contact him on our maintenance information for our E39 M5's but neglected to give contact info, such as email address... if anybody knows it please let me know!

Other things I've upgraded recently:

iPod setup. new Dension link
BM53 Radio - Split screen radio
Bluetooth

Already had things such as widescreen nav and MKIV. I'm having fun having all the options of "new" BMW's in my "old" E39.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 08:09 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Didn't the US market have to wait until 2000 for the M5?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
BMW Car is a Euro mag. The author of the article has lives in Europe.
#4 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 03:50 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Trevize, do you think the 2001-2003 have less maintenance issues? problems?
I just can't believe the wheel bearing failure at 66k. If I'm not mistaken Eric replaced his prior to selling the car to M3UOND and it had 120k miles on it (540i).

LOS
#5 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 09:09 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
sounds like you got yourself a good looking cart there any pics?

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#6 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 PM
1st Gear Member

1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough 1LOBOSS will become famous soon enough
That sounds like an expensive repair bill/bills

I am a jolly green giant in the land of little people
#7 (permalink) Old 10-31-2007, 11:11 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOS
Trevize, do you think the 2001-2003 have less maintenance issues? problems?
I just can't believe the wheel bearing failure at 66k. If I'm not mistaken Eric replaced his prior to selling the car to M3UOND and it had 120k miles on it (540i).

LOS
Correct.

And I have replaced another one since.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#8 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 02:09 PM
1st Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Wheel Bearing: All I noticed was a faint clicking type noise. I thought little of it other then being annoyed until I read BMWCar and the author there mentioned the same noise and had replaced the front bearing and that took car of it. So when I went in for service I had them check into it. Who knows if I wasn't so picky and attuned to the car it easily could have gone another 100k miles before actually having a failure.

All in all this last bill was $1400, of which $1100 was covered under warranty. So I'm not complaining. I can't comment on 2001-2003 E39 M5's as I don't have one. I can only comment that I've had some of the same issues as described in BMW Car at about the same millage. So all things being equal a 2001-2003 will have similar repairs at that millage as well.

Thing is tho I tend to be overly anal about keeping things tip top shape on my car. I also keep it garaged all winter and it doesn't see much rain either. I do however go to BMWCCA meets and drive fairly hard at those. My car is not a daily driver either, so other driving habits will certainly effect results.

For more photo's other then the vgarage ones, go here: Picasa Web Albums - John - M Cars

Last edited by Trevize; 11-01-2007 at 02:13 PM.
#9 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:06 PM
LOS
4th Gear Member

LOS is an unknown quantity at this point
Thank you for your detailed explanation. These are fast, fun and beautiful cars but they sure cost money for the upkeep even when driven on weekends only. Having said that, the warranty comes in handy!
I think you did the right thing by keeping the car. Holy crap, I just noticed you have the tone interior! Sweet!! ...

LOS
#10 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:12 PM

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
I ment CAR not CART.... but it would make a pretty fun grocery getter
BTW ever change the shoes DIBS!

I am Captain Obvious

Last edited by AlpineSixAndSeven; 11-01-2007 at 03:22 PM.
#11 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:20 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future german-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Nick...the edit button is your friend.

Trevize...As much as i love the looks of the ///M series, judging from your posts here i do not think i will ever own one based solely on the fact that i am in the wrong tax bracket to pay for repairs...(since if i do get one it would be out of warranty by that time anyway.)

R.I.P fast 6

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
#12 (permalink) Old 11-01-2007, 03:23 PM

.... What i know i mispelled that but am to lazy to look it up...

I am Captain Obvious
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)