e39 m5 or porscge carrera - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:02 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
honda0071 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
e39 m5 or porscge carrera

i am new to the bimmer world only owning an e30 325is before. now that i have a substantial income i was looking for a mid-range performance that has most of it all... i have ridden in the Porsche 911 before but never driven and it was a fun car but i have never ridden in an e39 m5... how do they stack up against each other....? any one have some statistics and specs to show me to prove or just show me something... im kinda leaning toward the m5 but im not sure yet.... any comments on either of the cars especially for anyone who owns either or both
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:05 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
They have really different purposes. What would you like your car to do?

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:10 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
well basically it would be my everyday car for awhile but i do drive very fast since i used to race shifter karts i do know how to drive very well... and my first car was an rx7 turbo and my family have very nice cars as well.... Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati etc so i want a very good performing vehicle in both handling and speed.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:40 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
How much do you carry with you?
(People and Luggage)

If you carry a decent amout of stuff the M5 there great cars and perform great....
the Porsche is a all out performace car and is very fast but limited space to carry stuff... also the porsche tends to leak oil... so just be sure to put something down if you got a nice driveway

It is up to you to chose the car but I would get the M5.....

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:05 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i really dont carry too much shit since right now i only have a 2 seaters (rx7 turbo) but i dunno if i had a 4 seater... i mean it would be convenient but i dunno. i really cant decide
#6 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:51 PM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
A two seat sports car versus a super premium sports sedan that is one of the most beloved models of the ///M cars to ever come out is an unusual comparison. Both a terrific cars, but overall, Id go M5 hands down as you et prestige AND function. DO IT!!!

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 04:02 PM
n00b

taferg is on a distinguished road
hmmm...you're asking bimmer enthusiasts to help you decide between a bimmer (yeaaahhh!!!) and a porsche.... I think its obvious which one we'd recommend. much love to porshe, but bimmer rules in this world. i dunno the exact numbers, but i do believe the e39 m5 does 0-60 in 5.2 secs. pretty impressive for a 4dr sedan. get the 5... you wont be dissappointed.

*iM5prung*
#8 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 01:10 AM
5th Gear Member

CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute CosmosBlack has a reputation beyond repute
At one point in my life, I was asking the same question.
M3, M5 or 911........I went for the 911

They are both completely different cars, all depends on what your priorities are.

The M5 would be a more practical daily driver.
The 911 has a very firm and hard ride, don't know if you'll enjoy that everyday, especially if you drive in the city with bad roads.

I assume maintenance cost would be about the same, both are equally expensive! The 911 might just be a little more costly to own.

The 911 does get more mpg though...average 19-26mpg, compared to the 11-15mpg for the V10 M5 (13-21mpg for the V8).

Whichever one you get, I'm sure you'll have no regrets! Good Luck!

Last edited by CosmosBlack; 10-06-2008 at 01:30 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)