E30 vs E36 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:41 AM
n00b

Location: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - Terre Haute, IN
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
rhit06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rhit06
(Thread Starter)
I am new to the forum and new to BMWs for that matter. I was wondering which car, an E30 M3 or an E36 M3, would make a better autoX car. I race almost every weekend during the spring and summer, but I want to upgrade my car and would really like an M. Before I go out and spend the money on one though, I would like to hear your opinions on which one is the better autoX car and why you think that. Any input would be helpful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 02:50 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute lwebb12 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to lwebb12 Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb12
E30 M3 most definately

Member 150+ MPH club
Member of the 3-Pedal club
Memebr BMW FORUMS V1 CLUB
JL Audio 13W7 in W7 pro wedge box powered by JL Audio 1000/1 slash series amp. JL Audio RBC. V1 hardwired.
Euro First Aid Kit, warning triangle, and fire extinguisher. Euro Storage bin Mod. UUC Stage III lightweight flywheel/clutch.
#3 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 04:16 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
e36... Cause you wreck it and i garuntee youll never find another e30 m3 again....

I would never autoX a e30 id be to afraid. e36 you can take or loose no big deal.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#4 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 07:24 PM
2nd Gear Member

alanh is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to alanh
yeah e30 m3's are pretty rare, damn rare

Self-Proclaimed Genius

#5 (permalink) Old 02-05-2004, 09:27 PM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute Slvr e39 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Slvr e39
I wouldn't auto cross an e30....I agree

Dinan Stg 2 Phoenix Yellow M3
#6 (permalink) Old 02-06-2004, 07:29 AM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
e30 is a better car.

#7 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:32 PM
n00b

Location: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology - Terre Haute, IN
rhit06 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to rhit06
(Thread Starter)
Why wouldn't you autoX an E30? Just becuase they are so rare? Where we autoX there is VERY little risk that you would wreck you car and mess it up, the worst thing that you are going to do is hit some grass...

I've heard from people that the E30 would make a better autoX car because of its light weight and hp numbers.... 190 hp 2800 lbs. Sounds a lot like the numbers for the second gen RX-7 which I know are great autoX cars because i've driven one before.

Forget about the replacement and everything, which one would perform better while still being a great daily driver?

Thanks for the input so far guys... keep it coming...
#8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2004, 03:34 PM
Fox

Fox is an unknown quantity at this point
e30 will hand an e36 its ass on a platter.

<span style='font-family:Geneva'><span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'><span style='color:red'>Fox</span></span> <span style='color:gray'>the Pirate</span>
Diplomacy is saying &quot;nice doggy&quot; until you find a rock.</span>

I live my life one quarter mile at a time, and for those 23 or more seconds I'm free.
#9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2004, 07:39 PM
n00b

e36mpower is an unknown quantity at this point
As rhit stated, I dont see anything wrong with auto-xing an E30. Nothing to hit (except maybe a cone or two). And if there are any concerns about the motor/suspension/mechanicals of the car, you probably shouldnt have bought it anyway unless you plan on "restoring". Go for the E30 if you can find one
#10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2004, 02:31 AM
n00b

tankman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tankman Send a message via Yahoo to tankman
hey im going to autoX my e30 this summer ya'll got any tips for me i did about 8 last year but not in a rwd car should it be much differnt? i havnt pushed the car to much yet since it still has studs on

86 325es (rockin the one speaker tapedeck tunes)

85audi 4000s Quattro a few goodies e-codes and tunes(and a pimp misfits sticker on the back booyah)

--justin
Bend(sunriver) Oregon
#11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:44 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
Quote:
Originally posted by e36mpower@Feb 10 2004, 09:19 PM
As rhit stated, I dont see anything wrong with auto-xing an E30. Nothing to hit (except maybe a cone or two). And if there are any concerns about the motor/suspension/mechanicals of the car, you probably shouldnt have bought it anyway unless you plan on "restoring". Go for the E30 if you can find one
well first if you are in one of those little clubs all you can hit is a cone, but if you are doing it on real roads theres a number of things you can hit, not saying dont use an e30 (they are the best for it!) but be careful and be ready to have an e30 m3 one day and not the next! haha

David
#12 (permalink) Old 03-11-2004, 08:46 PM
350z

bigred318 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to bigred318 Send a message via Yahoo to bigred318
Quote:
Originally posted by tankman@Feb 27 2004, 04:11 AM
hey im going to autoX my e30 this summer ya'll got any tips for me i did about 8 last year but not in a rwd car should it be much differnt? i havnt pushed the car to much yet since it still has studs on
yeah it is going to be different! think of it this way! When you are going through the corner in FWD car and you give it gas its just going to pull the car through without really doing anything, but in RWD when corning if you give it to much gas the back tires are spinning which can make you spin out really ez, however dont let that scare you its easy to control and RWD is so much better for autoX yoiu will never go back to FWD again! Also be careful about driving the RWD in rain, to much gas in a corner and you can be looking behind you in a flash!

have fun and good luck!

David
#13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 07:24 PM
n00b

tankman is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to tankman Send a message via Yahoo to tankman
well actually it was in the audiso it was awd but basicly the same style of driveing a fwd but yeah i have tyhe studs off now and ive been playin around and damn my tires have some serious sidwalls(70series tires) gawd i ned new tires

yeah its not to hard to control slides in an e30 since i drove half the winter with it

86 325es (rockin the one speaker tapedeck tunes)

85audi 4000s Quattro a few goodies e-codes and tunes(and a pimp misfits sticker on the back booyah)

--justin
Bend(sunriver) Oregon
#14 (permalink) Old 03-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
basically, the e30 was more well developed when considering all around figure and stats. The e36 is more powerful, the EURO e36 will defintely pwn. I would go with an e36. They are very upgradable and you wont need to find a treasure chest to afford its upgrades.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#15 (permalink) Old 03-21-2004, 10:36 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
Go for an euro spec e36 M3.... Until sept. 1995 they have an output of 286 HP, after that month they have installed a 3.2 litre engine with 321 HP.... I'll be sure you beat them all :nana

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)