Catalytic Convertor Problems - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2005, 06:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
MTomlinson07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MTomlinson07
On my Mom's 1999 M3 the catalytic convertor went bad 5 months ago, and was replaced. She opted for the non BMW branded replacement because it was $500 less. 2 months later the catalytic convertor went bad again. She bought the BMW branded one this time. Now this one has gone bad and it has only been three months! The shop that does the work specializes in BMW's and said that it is impossible to have two defective catalytic convertors so there must be some other problem, possibly with the engine. The only code that the computer shows is for the catalytic convertor. Anyone have any experience with a problem like this or have any idea what me going wrong?
MTomlinson07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2005, 07:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
POWER///M is an unknown quantity at this point
buy a good one from bmw but instead of puting that on, by a straight pipe with no converter. Gain in horsepower and sounds louder. When it comes time to get it smogged, put in the catalytic converter and your good to go.
POWER///M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2005, 09:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
MTomlinson07 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to MTomlinson07
The second replacement cat that went bad was a a BMW one. I don't think my 45 year old mom will go for the sound that comes with the straight pipe. She already complains about the exhaust on my car.
MTomlinson07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 11:32 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pandemonium Director

Car: turbo 325is, 325es, Audi a4 turbo
Photos:
nukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond reputenukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
running excessively rich will kill your cats prematurely

check your spark plugs

if they are overly carbonized/black you're running rich
Old 04-15-2005, 06:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
bryan1970 is an unknown quantity at this point
although it is very unlikely it isn't impossible. there have been times where i have recived bad parts up to 3 times in a row of course they weren't cats but just goes to show that it can happen. but i'd prolly start lookin' at other possibilities for the premature failure too. you could actually test the cats by putting a gas analyzer on the car and find tou if the cats are infact bad. i guess the O2 sensors could possibly casue a problem as they are the sensors that actually check the efficientcy of the cats
bryan1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)