Carbon Fiber Hood - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 12:32 AM
YOX
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
YOX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Carbon Fiber Hood

I am looking at purchasing an 2006 M3 convertible, and it has a carbon fiber hood with blacked-out front grill and side grills. It looks good, but are there advantages or disadvantages of carbon fiber vs. stock? I'm not really fond of mods, but this one seems good to me and the car is really clean with low miles. Any thoughts...thanks in advance!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3hood.jpg
Views:	21544
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	27426  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 07:06 AM
Neutral Member

BMWides110377 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWides110377 Send a message via MSN to BMWides110377 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWides110377
aside from reducing the weight on the front end IMHO there really isnt any advantage to a CF hood...just my 0.02
#3 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 08:32 AM
5th Gear Member

denyo77 is on a distinguished road
Garage
plus one
but this one looks ok

#4 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:45 AM
YOX
n00b

YOX is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Do I have to worry that a carbon fiber hood will fade?
#5 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 09:51 AM
Neutral Member

BMWides110377 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to BMWides110377 Send a message via MSN to BMWides110377 Send a message via Yahoo to BMWides110377
Depending on the quality of the hood and the clear coat that was applied I would presume that there will be usual "fade." If you keep it clean and do the proper care for it, there should really be no problems out of it
#6 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 10:34 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
The newer TVR's are made from carbon fibre (whole body) and the seem to fair ok, I know of one that 17years old and looks brand new, so I would say it will be fine as long as your buying it from a good company, ask for some customer feedback just to put your mind at rest.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 11:01 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
I would try to find out if renewable coatings like wax would help. I'm not sure what's compatible with CF.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
#8 (permalink) Old 01-19-2009, 03:08 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
The main cause of CF fading is ultraviolet light. Use a uv-resistant wax or glaze.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#9 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 04:19 AM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Forgot to say I have Black carbon fibre roundels on my bonnet and boot (BMW) which have been there for nearly 6 years and havent changed a single bit, as I bought 3 and the spare one is in a drawer in side and this morning I put them side by side,no change.

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
#10 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 10:47 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Quote:
Originally Posted by marti5 View Post
Forgot to say I have Black carbon fibre roundels on my bonnet and boot (BMW) which have been there for nearly 6 years and havent changed a single bit, as I bought 3 and the spare one is in a drawer in side and this morning I put them side by side,no change.
Marti, usually roundels don't have real CF on them--usually it's just a sticker!

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2009, 02:58 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ i saw some real ones but they cost alot more then the sticker ones

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#12 (permalink) Old 03-10-2009, 02:00 PM
n00b

leexbmw is on a distinguished road
bmw carbon fibre hood

YOX: Personally I would take the stock hood but carbon fiber hood isnt bad at all. Just ask for the stock hood too if you are buyin it from a private seller.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am looking at purchasing an 2006 M3 convertible, and it has a carbon fiber hood with blacked-out front grill and side grills. It looks good, but are there advantages or disadvantages of carbon fiber vs. stock? I'm not really fond of mods, but this one seems good to me and the car is really clean with low miles. Any thoughts...thanks in advance!!!!

David Lee
BMW Enthusiasts
New Used BMW Buyers Sellers Enthusiasts
#13 (permalink) Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
The advantages come in the amount of weight saved and the exotic look. Most people do it for looks. I think it looks a bit trashy unpainted, but rather could really compliment the car if you were to candy coat paint it so that it's only visible up close. The disadvantages come from fear of fading from UV rays, peeling of the clear coat, fitament (it very much could be slightly askew), and fear of it ripping open at high speeds. It hashappened on more than one occasion of people traveling 110+ mph and the hood flying open, destroying the windshield and ending up somewhere south of the boarder. Most people remedy this via hood pins, but then you start to get even trashier looking. What brand is this CF hood? The brand can say a lot about the previous owner and it's intention and use.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#14 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:45 AM
n00b

ACmil is on a distinguished road

I also like to have one,is it a lot of quality in fiber hood ?
#15 (permalink) Old 05-19-2009, 09:47 AM
OMFG another one!?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice witeshark is just really nice
That really depends on who the maker is.

BMW

Sig by zeaq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)