BMW Werkz banner

Buying Used M3 - Clutch question

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MAFA 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! Am new to the forums. I have been reading quite a few posts and cant seem to find any answer to this. This is a stupid question but I cant think of any other way of comparing this.

I just test drove an M3 that I am seriously considering buying. The clutch seems awfully stiff.

I have a 03 VW GTI VR6 right now and its clutch is no where as stiff. Is that just the way they are or does this mean that the M3's clutch is about to give?:help

Has anyone driven both? Hope someone could help me. I'm going crazy here looking for answers! :banghead

#2 ·
I've driven a GTI VR6 before and when I pushed the clutch it felt like I was pushing my foot into a bowl of mash potatoes. The M3 clutch is prolly ok. To test it put the car in 4th or 5th at a dead stop and slowly take the clutch out. If the car dies immediately the clutch is good. If it doesn't die immediatly it's bad.

#3 ·
Mashed potatoes..agreed! I will try that test before I get it. So I assume that you are saying that its a lot harder. Also the gear selection wasnt as good as I read. I've read that its really smooth. This one was kind of notchy. Any suggestions as to what to try for that?

#4 ·
If there is a mechanic that you trust in your area that knows BMWs then take the car to him and he'll be able to tell you. I've never driven an M3 but on my 318i the gear shifter is smooth however it is positive. You should have to actually push the gear to get it into the next one, however it should feel controled and smooth, not vague and "easy", even though if it feels vague it's not really easy.

#9 ·
Went and test drove another M3 which was also going for a good price. But realised it had quite a few scratches so decided against it. The clutch was the same on this M3. Now the only question is the gearbox..have vague memory of the gearbox being not as precise as the one I just drove. :dunno

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.