BMW Werkz banner

Buying An M3 - Worth The Price?

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Rhyzz 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm planning on buying an M3 from a garage but thought i'd get the opinion of bmw fans before I consider getting the hefty 10k loan for it!

Details of the car are as follows:

95 E36 (M Reg)
3.0 M3
4 door
Full AC Schnitzer bodykit
Blacked out windows
Full black leather interior (original M3)
18" Schnitzer multi spoke alloys
Lowered
Private plate (B4D GY)

Now, heres the catch to this seemingly very nice car. It has 140k on the clock! :banghead

The garage is asking 8k for the car but I reckon a cash deal + mileage could bring it down to 7, maybe 6500.

My question is, does this sound like a good deal? I know in 2 years time if the car hits 160k I could still sell it for 4-5k, making back alot of my money. But the trouble is, is 140k just too high? Is it a timebomb?

I plan to get it inspected by the AA before buying and my brother is a mechanic and knows his stuff, but he's not a bmw buff.

Any help will be appreciated!

Cheers.

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmmmm that is an interesting price. it might not be too bad. I would definitely get it checked though. I just bought a 98 M3 E36 with 57K from BMW for 18K. before that i got a 94 325i for 6 but i came to find out it had lots o probs that would've cost me 2100 to fix. get it checked out and go from there.

Enjoy the ride

Chant :guns

#3 ·
I don't know where you live, but that sounds extremely cheap, maybe too cheap. Regardless of price, I wouldn't buy an ///M car that didn't have maintenance records. The only way to know if the car isn't a "timebomb" as you put it, is if you know that it has had all the maintenance performed. THat car (if maintained properly) has another 100K of driving in it with no problems. But if you have no records, there is no telling what it might need to get it back to pristine condition.

Again that is cheap. I paid 10K for my car with 100K on the clock, and it's not even an ///M car. It did come from a very reputable business, and has all records back to it's birth.

#4 ·
Originally posted by jllphan@Feb 12 2005, 10:47 AM
I don't know where you live, but that sounds extremely cheap, maybe too cheap. Regardless of price, I wouldn't buy an ///M car that didn't have maintenance records. The only way to know if the car isn't a "timebomb" as you put it, is if you know that it has had all the maintenance performed. THat car (if maintained properly) has another 100K of driving in it with no problems. But if you have no records, there is no telling what it might need to get it back to pristine condition.

Again that is cheap. I paid 10K for my car with 100K on the clock, and it's not even an ///M car. It did come from a very reputable business, and has all records back to it's birth.
[snapback]290382[/snapback]​
I think the guys from the UK :confused

So it might be pounds rather than dollars

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.