Buying a E30 M3 for my husband - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

» Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2010, 05:20 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
bemmergirl17 is on a distinguished road
Buying a E30 M3 for my husband

Hello guys, this is my first post. My husband is a big fan of the E30 M3's and I was going to purchase him one for his 50th birthday. The car has under 100,000 miles and seems to be in great shape for an '88. I am going to have the car inspected next week and I was wondering what are some known issues with these cars, also what should I be expecting in terms of reliability. Any feedback would be great so I can use it as leverage with the seller to try and get it down closer to $16K.

Here is the car: 1988 BMW M3 Coupe
bemmergirl17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Ich bin der Modifikator

Car: 97'E36 2.8 w/Optional Sport Package
Photos:
johnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the roughjohnnyBgood is a jewel in the rough
Garage
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.........

According to the write up in the link you supplied, that car is in very good condition........

My brother has an 88' M3 also, with 89,000 miles on it, & we had to replace the front & rear wheel bearings. Font struts & rear shocks........

Good luck with your purchase, your husband has great taste in cars!

jbg
johnnyBgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
OMFG another one!?

Car: 89 E30 325i, 2007 Honda
Photos:
witeshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nicewiteshark is just really nice
It's a very good find, but this nadaguides link will help narrow down the actual value. As you can see, 20k is right out. (moved to M3 section)

Sig by zeaq

Last edited by witeshark; 10-29-2010 at 06:31 PM.
witeshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 06:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
I figured $20K was a little high... If the car is everything it says, anything around $15/$16k would be a very fair offer I feel.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
Your husband has excellent taste in wives as well. I can only hope my future wife will buy me an ///M3.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
thre318is is on a distinguished road
Garage
Thats crazy , Im from minneapolis mn , ive only seen a handful of e30 m3's in the cities . . . they just stand out .

amazing cars!
thre318is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:00 PM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
What are your thoughts on the rims? Also, I can't tell if it's completely stock. I know Porsche drivers are mainly purists and like everything "bone stock". I have done some prior research and want to get all the details right. What are the pros and cons?
Old 10-30-2010, 10:28 AM   #8 (permalink)
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

Car:
Photos:
german-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant futuregerman-speed-demon has a brilliant future
from what i see, it is NOT stock. Aftermarket radiator, which may be a nice thing. Wheels are not stock, however they are a good compliment to the car. Writeup shows either "replaced with OEM or well research aftermarket". I'ld ask for receipts of those replacements.

Two wheels or Four, I'm happy as long as the throttle is pinned.
german-speed-demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
W00T

Car: 1991 E30 318i 2008 E92 328i
Photos:
Numark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond reputeNumark318i has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Numark318i
A true enthusiast will have records for everything.

Outside of regular maintenance and wear and tear the motor will need to be rebuilt around 100 thousand miles. The motors are amazing, but were built as race motors and will need a rebuild. Research that, as that will increase the cost down the line.

With that being said, you are not paying for the reliability, you are paying for the rarity, engineering, and beauty of the car. But anyone who wants a 20 year old car knows that.

( : good luck with the purchase. Your husband is a lucky man.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Numark, what signs should my mechanic look for to determine the amount of life left in the engine.
Old 11-03-2010, 12:15 AM   #11 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
compression and lek down tests should be done
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)