Buying A 97 M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Neutral Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
kassper is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well as the title says, I'm thinking about buying a 97 m3 with a little over 100k on the clock. What problems arise with this amount of mileage? What are common things that need to be replaced and what else could go wrong? The car looks extremley clean and almost new condition. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-12-2005, 02:35 AM
1st Gear Member

Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by kassper@Mar 12 2005, 02:25 AM
Well as the title says, I'm thinking about buying a 97 m3 with a little over 100k on the clock. What problems arise with this amount of mileage? What are common things that need to be replaced and what else could go wrong? The car looks extremley clean and almost new condition. Thanks
[snapback]309370[/snapback]
Hey there Kassper
are you buying from a private owner or from a dealer? either way make sure to see if there is documentation on the work done. have a mechanic check the car for oil leaks etc. test drive it and see how it handles. any noises? that sort of thing. check carfax on the vin and see if any reports have been made on it.

good luck and take some pics LOL

Chant
#3 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 08:50 AM
1st Gear Member

MadBMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by kassper@Mar 12 2005, 01:25 AM
Welcome Kassper, here is a link to some reviews on problems that people have. It is at the M3forum, which has some great info on it, but there is just to many people on it. I like this forum better, because it is smaller and it has been easier for me to get to know the guys. Here's the link
http://www.m3forum.com/m3forumcgi/reviews/...tion=view&pid=2

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
1988 Sunbird Eurosport SLC 5.7L
#4 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 09:22 AM
You Can Has A Custom Title!!

CiscoKid is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to CiscoKid
there shouldnt be any major problems at that milege. M3s are usually driven hard, so put it on a comp to see the max revs and codes

#5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:08 PM
1st Gear Member

bmwforumerm3 is an unknown quantity at this point
I drive a 97 m3

Ive had to replace radiator
Flex disk (check on that) thats a 30 dollar parti think, I cant remeber with an hour of labor.
fan clutch goes out eventually
Check the rear mounting's to make sure they are secure. Refer to my cardomain site to see what im talking about. (with a pic of my fucked up one and perfect one)Thats a biggggg money right there. It occurs because the suspension is sooo stiff that it gets loose and wrecks the sheet metal. Aka a reweld. 1100 bucks. That was my estimate and I even removed my whole back interior seats,panels, HK speakers.

So just know what your getting your self into. These cars will treat you right for a long time. THAN BAM!

You will love it though, good luck

<span style='color:blue'>

My 1997 cosmos black m3
<a href='http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/789780' target='_blank'>http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/789780</a>
</span>
#6 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 01:30 PM
WOT in Reverse

jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute jllphan has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to jllphan
Of course all the standard used car buying processes should be involved as well as the above stated advice to DEFINITELY check to make sure it comes with maintenance records. If it doesn't have any, and you don't know the guy (and trust him), personally, I'd walk away.

Common things to keep up with or replace at 100K:
-O2 sensor
-radiator
-water pump
-thermostat (and housing)
-suspension components

That's really about it. That being said, if you take of the car, and get on routine maintenance schedule, the car will easily last you another 100K with no major issues.

The only way you would have the aforementioned scenario:
"So just know what your getting your self into. These cars will treat you right for a long time. THAN BAM!"

would be if you didn't take care of the car from day one. These car require significantly more maintenance than your everyday commuter, but that is a small price to pay for joy of driving it everyday!

#7 (permalink) Old 03-13-2005, 07:48 PM
Neutral Member

kassper is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
He says it has all mantinence records, and ive seen a video of them. Im not sure what im looking for but it looked like a whole bunch of boxes with bmw stamps and signatures in it. It had oil stuff, and I saw one for inspection I on there. Is this the service records? never seen them for BMW.

EDIT
Also. for the inspection, do you think it would be alright to take it to an actual dealership? im not worried about the extra money, i just want it done right. I have asked in the regional forum to see if theres any independent mechs in the SD area, but as I dont live around there I dont know first hand. So would a dealership be out of the question for the inspection?
#8 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 AM
1st Gear Member

Chant is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by kassper@Mar 13 2005, 08:48 PM
He says it has all mantinence records, and ive seen a video of them. Im not sure what im looking for but it looked like a whole bunch of boxes with bmw stamps and signatures in it. It had oil stuff, and I saw one for inspection I on there. Is this the service records? never seen them for BMW.

EDIT
Also. for the inspection, do you think it would be alright to take it to an actual dealership? im not worried about the extra money, i just want it done right. I have asked in the regional forum to see if theres any independent mechs in the SD area, but as I dont live around there I dont know first hand. So would a dealership be out of the question for the inspection?
[snapback]310581[/snapback]
Those should be the records in that box but you need to look at them all and see what was done. I found out my Audi was in an accident only by seeing some of the records that were with the book. I would take the car to the BMW dealership but only cause as you said you want it done right. If you can afford it go for it.

Chant
#9 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 02:48 AM
n00b

Tingtong187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by kassper@Mar 12 2005, 12:25 AM
The most important thing you probably want to check is the Diff. if u can...put it up on a lift....and make sure it isnt taring....or craking where it is connected to the frame.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-14-2005, 12:40 PM
1st Gear Member

MadBMW is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally posted by Tingtong187+Mar 14 2005, 02:48 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tingtong187 @ Mar 14 2005, 02:48 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-kassper@Mar 12 2005, 12:25 AM
Well as the title says, I'm thinking about buying a 97 m3 with a little over 100k on the clock.* What problems arise with this amount of mileage?* What are common things that need to be replaced and what else could go wrong?* The car looks extremley clean and almost new condition.* Thanks
The most important thing you probably want to check is the Diff. if u can...put it up on a lift....and make sure it isnt taring....or craking where it is connected to the frame.
[snapback]310957[/snapback]
[/b][/quote]

Where would it be tearing or cracking? by the trailing arms or by the shock mounts? used
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear_end.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	18455  

2002 Bmw X5 4.4I
1997 Bmw M3 3.2L
1988 Sunbird Eurosport SLC 5.7L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)