I recently purchased an 84 325E for $600.00. The body is in pretty good shape, although I may find out if I have any body work skills! Anyway, has about 4 zillion miles and a recently (30K miles) rebuilt motor. Tranny feels good. - Shifter linkage is sloppy, and I can't get my fat fingers in there to swap out the $&)*(@# selecter bushing! At least I got the quibo replaced and working fine.
Anyway, a few problems (besides the &)$@# shifter bushing):
1) Purchased a Haynes Manual - is anything better? CD's?
2) Driver's seat has a broken hinge on the right side. Can this be welded?
3) Looks like PO had a floorboard water problem. Trying to narrow that one down and blow out all of the drainage channels.
4) Both seat backs fall all the way back when the release is pulled. I read somewhere that this might be repairable.
5) Brakes need to be re-padded at least, and Is there any way to turn off the annoying Brake Lining light (other than killing the bulb or buying a new sensor?)
6) I need a new left front fender - what years fenders will fit my 325. How about interior parts (most notably the console, I just don't have a need for a casette holder....
Now for the really interesting problem....
The car sat in a garage for about 3 years while the PO's Son and his friends turned it into pot palace. How can I clean that crap out. I can't imagine getting pulled over by Billy Bob and his faithful friend Shemp, the drug sniffing dog....
Not to mention the fact that my wife is a teacher. I don't even want to think about how she would explain why the drug dogs are humping her Bimmer because it smells so much of old pot.
Does the smell have a half life?
This is my first foray into German cars (I'm still trying to sell my 77 MG Midget), but I couldn't pass up the opportunity.
So, am I lucky or stupid?
Thanks in advance,