Alignment on an E36 M3 - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 08:49 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
PrInG has a spectacular aura about PrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
(Thread Starter)
Alignment on an E36 M3

I went and got my alignment done at SEARS. apparently that wasn't a good idea. They informed me that my rear tires have positive camber.. meaning the top of my rear tires are tilted out.. I assume this is because of the fact the car is lowered.. They told me that BMW didn't make an application on the car to adjust the camber ... Somehow I find that to be bullshit.. Any of you guys know a place that can put my rear tires in place for me so I'm not gonna burn through tires.. thanks

TO HONOR: Get Honor Stay Honor if You Can't Come in Her Come Honor.

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Go to someone that isn't a complete moron.

First off, an M3 does not have positive camber even stock; it has negative camber. When you lower the car, it gains more negative camber.

Unless something is really screwed up back there (and I really doubt it), it is virtually impossible that you have positive camber.

#3 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:13 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to drz Send a message via MSN to drz
Alignment is the one thing that I always get done at the dealership

#4 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 PM
Millions of them.

Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute Torque has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by drz View Post
Alignment is the one thing that I always get done at the dealership
Most of them wont touch a lowered car with a 10 foot pole; same goes for most regular alignment places.

You usually have to go to some sort of performance shop; and honestly you should anyway. If you're dumping all that money into your car, you might as well spend the extra 30 or whatever dollars and get an alignment done right.

#5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 09:19 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
well I can tell it has positive camber when I look at it and when I just went autocrossing the guys there made a comment about it.. So perhaps I'll be taking it to a performance place to have it done.. Impossible is nothing I'll take a picture if you'd like

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow
#6 (permalink) Old 08-19-2009, 10:05 PM
Millions of them.

Please do. Never heard of any BMW with positive camber, stock or not.

#7 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:16 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
the sheet that shoes my alignment specs says that my
Driverside Rear tires Camber is +.3 deg the specified range is between -1.9 and -1.6 degrees
Passenger side rear camber is +.5 deg the specified range is the same as above.
IDK how it got this way but it did somehow obviously.
Where do you guys get a decent alignment at ? sears obviously wasnt' the right choice

- Bow
#8 (permalink) Old 08-22-2009, 11:56 PM
drz
Administrator

drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute drz has a reputation beyond repute
Dealership, racing shop, or a very good indy shop that you trust and will tell you if they don't have the right equipment.

#9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:17 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Dealership, racing shop, or a very good indy shop that you trust and will tell you if they don't have the right equipment.

any idea what it costs at the dealership
?

- Bow
#10 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Neutral Member

Dr1ve4fun is on a distinguished road
No idea about the dealership, but don't ever take your car to Sears. They are not the most knowledgeable people... I've only ever heard about negative experiences with them.
#11 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 06:37 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG View Post
any idea what it costs at the dealership
?
Seriously? How hard was it to call them yourself? I am sure they have a solid idea of how much they charge.

Last time I got an alignment at the dealership on my E36 I paid $100.

#12 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Seriously? How hard was it to call them yourself? I am sure they have a solid idea of how much they charge.

Last time I got an alignment at the dealership on my E36 I paid $100.
c'mon man are you serious? no need to be a dick.. The dealership usually closes at 5 or 6 I'm guessing.. Was it that hard for someone who knew the answer to just type it out .. Other wise we'd call the dealership to do everything. I'm not trying to be a dick but seriously.. no need to be sarcastic..
Pretty sure I'm going to take mine to firestone at that end of the week. My roomie says they are pretty good and for 110 you can get a lifetime alignment. so that sounds pretty good.

- Bow
#13 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 09:20 PM
5th Gear Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
darkhorse737 is on a distinguished road
Talking specs

HERE! print out the sheets and take it to the alignment shop and tell them these are the readings you want ;-)

if you are that particular about readings... A good shop will give u a printout of their readings before and after alignment. Request/INSIST on a printout after they do the adjustments and compare these specs with their data.

Provided your car has not been in an alignment altering accident, i don't see why these figures cant be achieved
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	m3a.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	234.0 KB
ID:	28396   Click image for larger version

Name:	m3b(cont).jpg
Views:	578
Size:	246.5 KB
ID:	28397  

Last edited by darkhorse737; 08-25-2009 at 09:24 PM.
#14 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 10:55 PM
drz
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrInG View Post
c'mon man are you serious? no need to be a dick.. The dealership usually closes at 5 or 6 I'm guessing.. Was it that hard for someone who knew the answer to just type it out .. Other wise we'd call the dealership to do everything. I'm not trying to be a dick but seriously.. no need to be sarcastic..
Pretty sure I'm going to take mine to firestone at that end of the week. My roomie says they are pretty good and for 110 you can get a lifetime alignment. so that sounds pretty good.
You're welcome, by the way.

Also, what is this lifetime alignment deal? It sounds fishy (unless it means that you ay once and then you get free alignments anytime you need them in the future).

#15 (permalink) Old 08-25-2009, 11:46 PM
Millions of them.

Quote:
You're welcome, by the way.

Also, what is this lifetime alignment deal? It sounds fishy (unless it means that you ay once and then you get free alignments anytime you need them in the future).
Yeah, they tell you "Oh it will be done right away", a man comes, takes your car to the back, it sits for 20 minutes then they come back and say "We did it, but out machine was broken so we can't give you a printout".

There is no such thing as a lifetime alignment. They all say it, but I really doubt anyone is gonna align it more than one other time on top of the first time you go. I mean you'd have people bringing shit in every 3 days ...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)