Advice on E24 M6? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 03:49 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
ThadGins is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Advice on E24 M6?

Hello everyone! First real post here and I'm looking for some advice. Hope to be one active in the forums.

So I'm looking getting a new car in the next few years and I've decided on a E24 M6. I'm trying to get some advice about years, maintenance issues, problems to look for, and any other general ideas I should be thinking about as I start my quest to find the right one.

A little about myself: Grew up in Atlanta, work in DC now. I've done work on cars, and have a great mentor that has and is continually teaching me. I do just about all my own car work, from changing fluids and scheduled maintenance, to replacing boot joins and doing light custom fabrication. I really love cars, working on cars, and taking pride in your vehicle.

My timeline is to buy one in about two years, maybe earlier if the right car comes along I just graduated from law school, so I'm going to be saving and paying off my loans of the next few years first, but a car I can be proud of, and one that isn't just something new I ran out and bought, is a priority to me. This is mostly to serve for me to be able to get information and ask questions and seek guidance if anyone can offer any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 05:36 PM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The M6 is known as the most attractive car BMW has ever made. It is also the 3rd car officially build by BMW Motorsport. The first two being the 3.0CSL and the M1. They were made in low numbers, with less then 3,000 ever built. They did quite well in motorsports and racing.

However, being built in such low numbers not many companies make parts for them. They can be fairly expensive to maintain if not taken care of properly. However their are still some examples in excellent shape with a good service history. I almost purchased a 633 CSI prior to buying my E36, and i still remember how gorgeous that car was. I do regret not purchasing it, and i plan to hunt down an E24 one day. Their is a guy in my neighboor hood a couple blocks away with a white 633 CSI and it is MINT. It still looks like it just left the dealership. Absolutley stunning cars.

Ive provided you with some links. The first one is the offical M Registry website and section on the E24 M6. It explains the technical information, production numbers, and the available configurations. The second link is an E24 M6 listed for sale currently on DuPont Registry. The 3rd and 4th links are to two different E24 related forums. Speaking with current owners about them prior to purchasing one is a very good idea.

BMW M Registry - FAQ E24 M635CSi + M6
1987 BMW M6 for Sale - 1346238 - duPontREGISTRY.com
Unofficial BMW E24 Website
BigCoupe.com - The Ultimate 6-Series Website

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 03:34 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Wow! That is some awesome info. I've seen a few for sale on eBay and such, and seen a couple in real life. The big coupe just looks stellar. How often have you seen good condition ones on sale, and how much do they usually go for?

Also, if anyone knows someone that owns one in the DC or ATL areas, I'd love to see it in person or talk to you about your experience.
#4 (permalink) Old 08-22-2012, 04:25 PM
4DoorWhore

I live in Canada so I have never actually seen a genuine M6 in person or for sale. The closest we got was the 635CSI. However I have seen a couple of these up for sale and some of the ones that need a bit of work go for as little as $1,800 CDN. Some more. I would expect one in mint condition to fetch up to $8,000 or possibly more. I looked at a gorgeous 633 CSI back in 2005 and back then he was asking $15,000 CDN.

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#5 (permalink) Old 08-23-2012, 07:27 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
I've seen a few on eBay. Recently one that had about 60K, with maintenance records back to 87', for 17K$. Really wish I had the money to jump on that!
#6 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 04:46 AM
n00b

pockomoth is on a distinguished road
e24

The best was on eBay recently, a custom 635 with an M6 engine, completely redone interior and simplified bodywork, but with the great lines of the Beast intact. He was asking $29,000. It made my heart pitter patter every time I looked at it. I still have it in my watched items if you want to see it

BMW : 6-Series 2 door in BMW | eBay Motors

This was just a great cherry example of a 1988:

BMW : 6-Series 635 CSI in BMW | eBay Motors

I own a rather beat up but still fun 1985 Champagne/beige example with Bilsteins, H&R lowers and a short shift kit.

Pocko

Last edited by pockomoth; 10-30-2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: post pic
#7 (permalink) Old 10-30-2012, 09:56 AM
n00b

94 Money Pit is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThadGins View Post
Also, if anyone knows someone that owns one in the DC or ATL areas, I'd love to see it in person or talk to you about your experience.
My cousin just bought an M6. He lives some what near the Atlanta area. When Vader said his neighbor has a white one, I was thinking it could be my cousin. But he doesn't live in Canada. Lol. It is most definitely the nicest Bimmer I've ever seen.

New Front/Rear seats, window tint all around, M3 front bumper w/yellow Fogs, M3 rear bumper, M3 side mirrors, painted OEM Boston Green.
#8 (permalink) Old 10-31-2012, 12:57 AM
4DoorWhore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Money Pit View Post
My cousin just bought an M6. He lives some what near the Atlanta area. When Vader said his neighbor has a white one, I was thinking it could be my cousin. But he doesn't live in Canada. Lol. It is most definitely the nicest Bimmer I've ever seen.
The white one down the street from me isnt an M6. Its a 633CSI. But again, it is even more ridiculously awesome because it has Style 32 wheels!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)