98 M3 ASC problem - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:55 PM
5th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
KingScare is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KingScare
(Thread Starter)
98 M3 ASC problem

Hey bimmerwerkz,

Our 1998 M3 is just starting to get more road time since the snow has melted. Seems everything is in order and it runs quite well...the only problem that I uncovered is with the ASC.

So bare with me as I attempt to describe the symptoms. I'll probably end up taking it to a mechanic, but having the community's opinion would be great.

On the highway, cruising at about 100 kmph (60 mph) in 4th or 5th gear, when I happen to boot it in order to pass another car, the ASC starts to activate itself (blinking in the instrument panel and I can feel the brakes engaging). It is as if the wheels were spinning and the ASC was trying to regain control (as it is designed to do). From what I can fell, there is no loss of control at all, the road is completely dry and my tires aren't bald. I'm also quite confident in my ability to detect loss of traction, if there happens to be some.

Let me also clarify that this is not under "standard" acceleration. I'm not saying I'm putting the pedal to the floor either, as that's not necessary to draw a good increase in speed from the M3. Though it is quite a burst of acceleration that could be considered "overkill" by some. So blame me for making the car do what it is capable of...but in my opinion the ASC's behavior is looking like some electronic failure.

Info on the car if needed.

manual 1998 M3 entirely stock
80 000 km
been ours for near 5 years now, have never had a problem with it the ASC before.

Oh and yes...obviously when I de-activate the ASC the problem goes away and the car accelerates as it always has.

ALSO! while I'm at it...

If I was to POSSIBLY consider selling this vehicle...How much would it be worth? It is in mint condition and has been extremely well maintained (saved for this new ASC problem) Any estimates welcome.

We purchased it for quite a sum and I do think the value has dimished a lot seeing as it is a 10 year old car.

Thank you for anything you can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)