95 M3? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #1 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
GSXRYDER is on a distinguished road
95 M3?

My local used car dealer has a 95 M3 for 11K, it has 76K original miles. Anyway from what I read one of the 'must have' updates is a newer water pump. What I understand is if the water pump goes out it can fry the engine.

So my question has 3 parts:
First, how can I tell if the water pump has been 'upgraded'?
Second, How can I tell the motor was never 'overheated' due to a water pump failure?
Do all 95 M3's have the 3.0L engine? If not how can I tell the difference between the 3.2 and the 3.0L

Thanks
GSXRYDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2007, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)
2nd Gear Member

Car:
Photos:
isherdholi will become famous soon enough
I think the E36 M3 with a 3.2L engine is referred to as an "M3 Evo". The 3.0L engine version is just "M3"
Old 12-25-2007, 08:27 PM   #3 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Car: 95 M3
Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
in the US the 95 m3 was only a 3.0 liter... 96+ was the 3.2 liter model... the only way to tell if it has been replaced is to take apart the coolant system and check if the impeller in the waterpump is metal and not plastic... also ask for any service records when you ge tthe car and it may say it in there... if it has over heated there really isnt a way to know ethier... have a compression test on it to make sure the head isnt warped and losing compression and you should be fine... good mileage for a 95 too... sounds like a nice ride, i would jump on it if it is your thing...
saltshaker185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Saltshaker

Thanks Salt...
Yes I am offering it to my son first. Actually I would not have considered buying a Bimmer unless my son wasn't looking for a car and asked me to go test drive some cars with him. I went with him we went to a few dealers and stopped by the local BMW dealer and took a few out for test rides...Actually the only 2 I'd consider would be the Bimmer and the Acura...and you see what I like more ;-). Also one thing about this that has me a little pensive is it is an automatic...not exactly sure how the performance of the auto trans is compared to the manual but it wouldn't be to bad. I found a manual on the internet for a thousand less but it has a lot more miles...to make a long story short if my son doesn't get this red one...I think I will pick it up. Going to go test drive it tomorrow...I'll take it from there probably buy it that way if my son doesn't want it I will own it - if he does want it I will sell it to him. In either case it stays in my family. Then I'll go get the manual shift one ...

Thanks for the responses...BTW it looks like your ride!
Old 12-26-2007, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

Car: 1976 Benz 300D, 1999 740iL
Photos:
AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to beholdAlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
^ lucky him! lol sounds lie fun
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
AlpineSixAndSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 02:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Ya I am pretty excited

I haven't driven an //M yet but if it is better performance than the 325 I am going to be happy. Seems that the 95 is a pretty good car considering the numbers are strong even over the past 13 years. I'll let you know how the test ride goes...Any opinions on the automatic trans?

Last edited by GSXRYDER; 12-26-2007 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-26-2007, 01:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
saltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to beholdsaltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSXRYDER
I haven't driven an //M yet but if it is better performance than the 325 I am going to be happy. Seems that the 95 is a pretty good car considering the numbers are strong even over the past 13 years. I'll let you know how the test ride goes...Any opinions on the automatic trans?
its a fun car in any form... but it is like any car out there, a manual tranny is going to be more fun in the long run.... make sure with the auto tranny that when you floor it you push the gas down enough that it clicks the button below the pedal... it will down shift it and make it a sportier launch...
Old 12-26-2007, 04:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Great!

Took the M3 out for a test drive...seems to have plenty of motor. I talked the sales guy down...Like I am sure they are still making plenty. To $9990 with exactly 77K miles. I can find no evidence of the waterpump having been changed so I am sure that is not to far off. The oil did kind of smell so there may be some 'blowby' I told the sales guy I was going to have the compression verified before I make the purchase. How much pressure is stock for this 3.0L engine? Does BMW allow a 10% deviation or is it 5% before they recommend that the motor be rebuilt. A very nice car...heated seats worked great. In fact everything worked great except the radio had 'code' displayed...how do you clear that out? Thanks for the advice...if everything goes as planned I should be a proud M3 owner by Jan 1...

How do you work the tranny? there were 3 settings on the tranny switch 'S' which I am presuming is 'sport' 'M' which I am presuming is 'manual' and it did something when you press it in? anyone let me know...thanks
Old 12-26-2007, 10:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Transmission in the 95 M3 works?

Can anyone explain to me how the switch next to the Auto Trans works? It appears to have 3 functions S for sport, M for manual and some other function when you press it down? Took the car for a test ride and I did not understand how it works? Thanks...
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 95 Dakar Yellow M3, 00 1.8T VW GTI
Photos:
PrInG has a spectacular aura aboutPrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
Is this going to be your boy's first car ? cause if so.. I thought I was very young getting an M3. Putting alot of power into the hands of a young man with a reason to impress all the ladies may not be such a great Idea. I know I was there. but I started off with an S-10 that scared me to take over 65. I guess this must make you the dad of the universe for hooking your boy up with a sweet new ride. Make sure he knows that there is a machine there that can hurt him, and to think with the head with a brain in it. I've been there I'm now turning 19 in 2 days. My best friend lost his life to inexperianced driving. over the summer and it still haunts me every day. I'd hate to see it happen to someone else.

TO HONOR: Get Honor Stay Honor if You Can't Come in Her Come Honor.

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow

Last edited by PrInG; 12-26-2007 at 10:54 PM.
PrInG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Took the M3 out for a test drive...seems to have plenty of motor. I talked the sales guy down...Like I am sure they are still making plenty. To $9990 with exactly 77K miles. I can find no evidence of the waterpump having been changed so I am sure that is not to far off. The oil did kind of smell so there may be some 'blowby' I told the sales guy I was going to have the compression verified before I make the purchase. How much pressure is stock for this 3.0L engine? Does BMW allow a 10% deviation or is it 5% before they recommend that the motor be rebuilt. A very nice car...heated seats worked great. In fact everything worked great except the radio had 'code' displayed...how do you clear that out? Thanks for the advice...if everything goes as planned I should be a proud M3 owner by Jan 1...

How do you work the tranny? there were 3 settings on the tranny switch 'S' which I am presuming is 'sport' 'M' which I am presuming is 'manual' and it did something when you press it in? anyone let me know...thanks
Whatever your numbers, they should be within 5% of each other and within 10% of highest to lowest. You'll see psi's from 150 - 210psi. As long as they are within 10% across the board, meaning if you have 190 across, you don't have 50psi in one cylinder.

with the radio there is a 5 digit code which the dealership should beable to look up in thier database to find out... the code just needs to be entered as they probibly changed the battery or something and reset the radio... make sure they give you the code before you buy it so that incase it happens again you will have it on file...

as for the tranny.... (stole this from someone else as ive never learned it even as i owned an auto bimmer... )

When driving in "3" in the A mode the car will start in gear 1 then shift to 2 then to 3 and will not shift to 4.

When driving in "3" in the M mode your car will start in 3rd and will stay in 3rd indefinitely.

Do not drive in M unless you are driving in adverse conditions where low gear tire slippage is an issue.

On some sports models there was also a "S" option that tweaked the computer for more spirited driving.

Also, it's not recommended to shift your auto like a manual unless it's the steptronic. It can do damage to the transmission.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:58 PM   #12 (permalink)
Neutral Member

Car:
Photos:
Thanks again!

Salt you know your S**T about the M3... Kind of considering to go with a Manual shift with slightly more miles...and the car would be for me...not for the kid...this is my midlife crisis car...LOL
Old 12-26-2007, 11:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
4th Gear Member

Car: 95 Dakar Yellow M3, 00 1.8T VW GTI
Photos:
PrInG has a spectacular aura aboutPrInG has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to PrInG
Well have fun with it though. I though it said you were gonna give it to the kid. Or is he a little guy and you waiting for him to get older? The M is a marvelous vehicle. Treat it with respect and it will show you the road to happiness. Cheers
oh yea p.s Manual shift will take a shit on an auto any day of the week. That wouldn't even be a question for me if the miles are reasonable.

TO HONOR: Get Honor Stay Honor if You Can't Come in Her Come Honor.

"its not banana yellow but its not golden its just that perfect creamy german goodness"

- Bow
PrInG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
1st Gear Member

Car: 1999 BMW M3
Photos:
crawlermonkey is on a distinguished road
which engine is which??

Form what I know all 95 m3s came with the 3.0. One way i know how to tell in look at the top of the timing chain cover the 3.2s have a plastic cover on them. The 3.0 didn't. they were metal and painted black which usually peeled and started flaking. on of the reason for the plastic cover on the 3.2.
crawlermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 11:10 PM   #15 (permalink)
Sodium Chloride

Photos:
Quote:
Salt you know your S**T about the M3... Kind of considering to go with a Manual shift with slightly more miles...and the car would be for me...not for the kid...this is my midlife crisis car...LOL
i would find a local e36 m3 with a manual tranny and give it for a ride... decide on if its worth the extra mileage and go for whatever you decide... i can promise you that you wont be disappointed ethier way. both versions are incredible cars, you do have to remember that with mileage on the engine also comes mileage on the suspension... and bmws arent known for thier drag strip speeds, its the cornering speed which puts them in the books...

but yea be safe and have fun, which ever you should choose we've got people here that can help you on any bmw you may stumble upon. So feel free to ask any questions even if you feel them to be dumb...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)