BMW Werkz banner

Help needed - bmw e36 m3

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  theluis 
#1 ·
Hey all, I have a 1994 bmw e36 m3. On sunday past i took it out a run and it ran great, no bother what so ever. I went on sunday nite too take it out again, and it would not start. It cranked but would not fire up. Got my cousin out who is a mechanic and we were sitting in it looking threw the internet and threw the manuals trying to figure out why it wouldn't start. The car at this time was hooked up to another car with jump leads, and all of a sudden there was a click, tried to start my m3 and it fired up no problem at all.

We took it that the battery was low in charge and therefore wouldnt start. But with it charging off the other car for a while it gained enough charge and fired up. So off we went yesterday (first day off work to do so) and bought a new battery and changed it over, grand fired up straight away without a bother.

I then took it out a run, maybe 30 miles at the very most, and as i was cruising along in 5th gear at 60 mph i felt the car chugg or juder forward, then it drove on as normal, but about 20 seconds later it judered again. This time mph and rev counters stopped at 40mph and 2,000 revs. Then they dropped to 0 on both and the car started to slow down. Then eventually the car died out.

We towed it too our garage, and were working at it today to try and find the problem. We checked the fuel pump, fuel pump relay, battery etc, but to no avail. The fuel pump is still working, we can hear it work and the car still cranks but will not fire up.

We hooked it up too a diagnostics computer and it gave out the following readings -

. 26 - injection sensor
. 25 - engine speed sensor
. 24 - error speedo signal
. 10 - clamp 15 v to high
. 13 - voltage peak device
. 15 - sri input error

Any one that is able to help, it would be very appreciated as we are both stumped. Some one suggesteed maybe the crank sensor?

Thanks James.

See less See more
#2 ·
Could be the altinator, check the voltage output with a voltmeter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.