2002 m3 miles? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 12:37 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Golden He@rt is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2002 m3 miles?

so im getting ready to pick up a 2002 m3 with 90k on it. Is that to many miles for an m3? around what miles do they start having problems because if you do the math thats only 15k a year.

its a 2002 gray m3 with 90k for 22k is that good?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
1st Gear Member

iamcreepingdeath is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden He@rt View Post
so im getting ready to pick up a 2002 m3 with 90k on it. Is that to many miles for an m3? around what miles do they start having problems because if you do the math thats only 15k a year.

its a 2002 gray m3 with 90k for 22k is that good?
yes that is good, if the car is in good condition of course. The only thing that will really happen to that M3 is that sensors and stuff will go bad.

#3 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:42 PM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
as long as its been serviced you should not have a problem,some of the smg cars have been driven hard but they usually survive.Bear in mind most of the cars with sketchy history"s have been clocked.It is hard to do less than 12,000 miles a year so yours should be genuine.In the UK you can phone up BMW GB and quote your no plate and they can tell you everything the car had done to it at a dealer,from service to brake pads etc and tell you the date and mileage the work was done.BMW usa must have a similar service.
The cars are tough and will keep going despite abuse thats why so many are still driving around.
#4 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 01:52 PM
n00b

Golden He@rt is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythepie View Post
as long as its been serviced you should not have a problem,some of the smg cars have been driven hard but they usually survive.Bear in mind most of the cars with sketchy history"s have been clocked.It is hard to do less than 12,000 miles a year so yours should be genuine.In the UK you can phone up BMW GB and quote your no plate and they can tell you everything the car had done to it at a dealer,from service to brake pads etc and tell you the date and mileage the work was done.BMW usa must have a similar service.
The cars are tough and will keep going despite abuse thats why so many are still driving around.

ya its not an smg its the 6spd manual. what do you mean by clocked?

ya i wonder if i can call a bmw dealership and give them the vin and they can tell me a little bit more about it.

as far as the sensors and stuff going out, thats what i dont want to happen lol i just wanna make sure im getting this car and its gonna run strong and good for a long time. i dont want to get this car on its last lifeline. know what i mean?
#5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2008, 02:11 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
If it's been taken care of, it's got plenty of life left in it. Just make sure you can verify that it's been taken care of.

M-division vehicles are very highly strung, and will always require more maintenance than normal vehicles. It is, however, worth it.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 07-26-2008, 09:26 AM
5th Gear Member

jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie jimmythepie
clocking,the act of changing the mileage readout.This makes the car more valuable as it appears to have done less mileage than it has really done.If the car was serviced in accordance with BMW"s recomendation they would have stamped the service book and entered the details into the computer.Hence a call to BMW HQ and quote your vin or no plate here in GB and they will tell you for free the service history.This must be the same stateside surely!Make sure the car had the oil change at 1500 miles as the warranty is null and void otherwise.Or was it 1200 miles,whatever.They use a different type of oil for the first few miles,then put another type in.
Gearbox will be fine,it"s the clutch you have to worry about,smg is way better,only girls go for the manual.
#7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
n00b

carguy51 is on a distinguished road
I have a 02 convertible with 41K that is going for 23900. Call me if your interested 314-662-0026. I can send pics also.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Help from over the pond

marti5 is on a distinguished road
Check the service history!!!,

VELVET BLUE UK INDIVIDUAL , IM THE LAST
UNITED WE STAND DIVIDED WE FALL

I stepped in a plate of Pasta the other day - now I have to worry about my Carbonara footprint!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)