2001 M5 Occasional problem. - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 08:40 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
itolson is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
2001 M5 Occasional problem.

I have noticed twice now just after starting the car the exhaust sounds louder then normal i.e blowing and the power is down, if you drive for a couple of mins its the exhause note changes i.e not blowing and the power returns.

Its only done it twice in 3 weeks, it has a Miltek Exhaust system and is normally fine even when cold etc.

it seems to only happen when warm and been stood for an hour or so as well.

Has anyone any ideas...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-25-2006, 04:07 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Seems like a typical warm up by the car. Even though you're saying the car has been warmed up and then allowed to cool down, it should stiull require time to get back up to operating temperatures (fluids/engine/tranny). If it seems that once fully warm your problem disappears then I would attribute this to jsut normal warm up. Maybe you just didn't notice it until now? How long have you had this exhaust?

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#3 (permalink) Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 AM
n00b

itolson is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
I have read the codes and it looks like the CPS and the Crank pos sensor as well, It only does it now and again, and the exhaust note changes the CEL can come on if it makes the sounds for long enough otherwise the note changes back and all is well again for miles.

I will get the 2 sensors replaced and keep an eye on it.

i do not think its the maf's as when it going its going...

I will post a reply when i have had the sensors done !
#4 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 02:18 PM
n00b

SpecialK is on a distinguished road
I am not sure, but it is likely that like just about every other car, our cars have a Secondary air pump that runs for about 90 seconds when you start the car up cold. It is so the cats light up early. What you are hearing extra air being blown through your exhaust, assuming we do have SAI pumps.
#5 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:58 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Please do not reply to threads that are this old.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#6 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:51 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Please do not reply to threads that are this old.
I disagree. His post is useful for future readers and when I read it I thought, "Hey, that's a good theory"

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#7 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:58 PM
n00b

SpecialK is on a distinguished road
Haha oops sorry, it showed up high on my list and I didn't even notice the date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)