BMW Werkz banner

2001 M5 clunking noise

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  EXtech 
#1 ·
Hello everyone!

I'm new to BMW's and this site. I bought a '01' M5 in October '03' with 35K miles. It now has 42K on it. Since buying the car I've noticed an occasional clunking noise which sounds as if it comes from the rear of the car when going over certian bumps in the road.(expansion joints on bridges for example) I could be wrong, but it sounds as if it's from the passenger side rear. As time has gone on, the noise has become louder and more frequent. My brother has a '99' M3 convertible. His car did not make the noise at all when he bought it, but it does now. I imagine it's a bushing or bearing related to the suspension, such as a strut mount bushing.

Does anyone know what it is? Is this a common problem? Should this be covered by my 4yr/50K warranty?

Thanks for any help you can lend.

Bret

#2 ·
Bret, it could be any number of things. I would most defintely take it in for some warranty work, it will be covered.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.