1998 M3 in winter - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 02:06 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
noxipoo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Hi all,

I'm thinking of buying a 1998 M3, its quite expensive for me and I won't be able to afford another car in the winter. So does anyone drive one everyday and also in the winter with snow? It would be my first BMW and first RWD car, not sure how they drive in snow. I think I'm a decent driver and have decent car control.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 03:09 PM
5th Gear Member

KingScare is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to KingScare
If you live in the city you should be ok with some dedicated winter tires.....though your paint could take a beating from the salt.

If you have to battle large amounts of snow on unshoveled roads....then you might get stuck.

The M3 is quite low...and so of course, busting through snowbanks might damage your kit.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
yeah i've heard of many people who own an m3 as a daily driver and drive it in the winter, like said before you should be ok wiht just some snow tires, and don't try to plow the way, that's what the ford pickups are for, if you llive out in the country its gonna be impossible, but again like said before if you live in the city or suburbs which i have lived all my life, you should be ok if the snow plows clear the way, now if you live in florida you'll be fine but of course you don't cause why would you ask about winter driving, ok sorry i'm rambling but yeah just wait till the roads are clear do try to go drive don't try to drive in or right after a snowstorm

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#4 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
3rd Gear Member

Bear is an unknown quantity at this point
I am a very old guy, grew up in Michigan, drove both Chevvy Impala with 348 cu in engine and manual tansmission as well as a 1966 Imapala with 427 cu in/ 390 HP engine. These were nose heavy cars, not as well balanced as our Bimmers and I seldom got stuck, and hey, we did not even have studded tires at that time. Keep your speed down and go easy on gas on start up from dead stop, might even try to start up in second or third, and if she starts to skid, just point her in the direction you want to go. We only live once, go ahead and enjoy life, buy the car you want.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-13-2004, 05:02 PM
Science Roolz!

SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all SHAHAB323IS is a name known to all
Send a message via AIM to SHAHAB323IS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bear@Aug 13 2004, 04:11 PM
I am a very old guy, grew up in Michigan, drove both Chevvy Impala with 348 cu in engine and manual tansmission as well as a 1966 Imapala with 427 cu in/ 390 HP engine. These were nose heavy cars, not as well balanced as our Bimmers and I seldom got stuck, and hey, we did not even have studded tires at that time. Keep your speed down and go easy on gas on start up from dead stop, might even try to start up in second or third, and if she starts to skid, just point her in the direction you want to go. We only live once, go ahead and enjoy life, buy the car you want.
amen brada, i lived in minnesota for 4 years and i never saw the two m3's in my neighborhood ever get stuck, amen to buying the car you want to buy

2011 Mazda2
1990 Mazda Miata
#6 (permalink) Old 08-15-2004, 12:07 AM
n00b

noxipoo is an unknown quantity at this point
(Thread Starter)
Well, I live in Chicago, the street I'm on not do not get plowed on fresh snow till the 2nd day sometimes. If I can't use it I might have access to a beater on select days or I'll just take the bus. The tons of salt they city drops on the road will hurt though. I forget the numbers but it is tons every day it snows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)