1997 M3 Worth it? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
BMW Forum BMW Forum

Auto Insurance

» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)
Register Home Forum Active Topics Gallery / Showroom Auto Loans Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

BimmerWerkz.com is the premier BMW Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2013, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
norcalbmw4 is on a distinguished road
1997 M3 Worth it?

Going to look at this M3 today.

I have a list of great questions that have been compiled from these threads ready to ask. Is there anything from this ad that you would specifically ask? There are a lot of clear pictures of the exterior and engine.

And what price do you think is fair to offer him?

1997 BMW M3 E36 4 Door
norcalbmw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Thats a well done ad IMO. I like the fact he was straight up honest with the issues. What I dont like is when guys drop a bunch of cash on performance mods and neglect maintenance. Good M3 Sedans are really hard to find nowadays. Get the receipts as always and give it a good look over and try everything to make sure it works.

Personally, I would be all over this over the silver one. Their both auto's, both have the four post steering wheel, but it is still an upgrade over the non M wheel. Things I can see with this one: Rear window tint is kinda crappy and should be redone, the headlights need a GOOD cleaning cause man that is hazed, and the clearcoat needs to be redone on the hood. Try to polish that out first and see, but it may need a re-clear. Drivers seat is ripped but again, Vader's FTW. The underdash panel on the left of the steering column doesnt look like its sitting right. Shouldnt be a gap their. Thats ASC light on probably isnt a good thing, but in my experience with mine, and my friends car it could easily just be a burned out relay (cheap as shit at Pick N Pull yards). Not a fan of the red on those valve covers but meh. The covers for the bolts on those are cheap btw.

To sum that up, it looks like the car has had issues but it seems to still be in good shape. I wouldnt mind owning that car myself. First things I would change is headlights, steering wheel, and those seats.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #3 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Thats a well done ad IMO. I like the fact he was straight up honest with the issues. What I dont like is when guys drop a bunch of cash on performance mods and neglect maintenance. Good M3 Sedans are really hard to find nowadays. Get the receipts as always and give it a good look over and try everything to make sure it works.

Personally, I would be all over this over the silver one. Their both auto's, both have the four post steering wheel, but it is still an upgrade over the non M wheel. Things I can see with this one: Rear window tint is kinda crappy and should be redone, the headlights need a GOOD cleaning cause man that is hazed, and the clearcoat needs to be redone on the hood. Try to polish that out first and see, but it may need a re-clear. Drivers seat is ripped but again, Vader's FTW. The underdash panel on the left of the steering column doesnt look like its sitting right. Shouldnt be a gap their. Thats ASC light on probably isnt a good thing, but in my experience with mine, and my friends car it could easily just be a burned out relay (cheap as shit at Pick N Pull yards). Not a fan of the red on those valve covers but meh. The covers for the bolts on those are cheap btw.

To sum that up, it looks like the car has had issues but it seems to still be in good shape. I wouldnt mind owning that car myself. First things I would change is headlights, steering wheel, and those seats.
That's good input. Thanks. I've reached out to him several times to check it out and drive it, asking for the VIN# and wanting to do a PPI. But he's not responding. I've noticed that 50% or more of the people that I ask the "right questions" to all of a sudden stop responding.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
Here are some texts I got from him this morning:

"The ASC was removed for the obd1 intake manifold conversion. The ABS light is on as well bcus it was wired with the ASC assembly. But fully functional. Water pump and serpentine belt are due. The rear struts are rough now and could use a bushing refresh. I wouldn't have a problem letting it go for your offer of $3,800. Only problem is I'd be paying $800 out of pocket to meet your offer and the banks balance."

Any more thoughts on price, etc?
Old 08-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #5 (permalink)
4DoorWhore

Car: 1998 E36 328i
Photos:
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
The ASC thing I saw after I posted when I re read the ad. ASC delete is quite common.

I think around $3,800 is fair. However with him still owing money on the loan thats a little bit of an issue. Its up to him to pay off the remaining $800 of the loan. What you need to do is go to his bank and talk to them about you paying $3,800 and him covering off the rest of the loan. You dont want someone else bank taking out a lien on your car becuase he bailed on his financial responsibilities.

Who the f**k buys a $6,000 car and still owes $4,600 on their loan while they have tons of mods? LOL.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
Lord Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 01:21 AM   #6 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
koolerbuy is on a distinguished road
Rear window tint is kinda crappy and should be redone

Rear window tint is kinda crappy and should be redone, the headlights need a GOOD cleaning cause man that is hazed, and the clearcoat needs to be redone on the hood. Try to polish that out first and see, but it may need a re-clear. Drivers seat is ripped but again, Vader's FTW. The underdash panel on the left of the steering column doesnt look like its sitting right. Shouldnt be a gap their.
----------
car dash cam
-------
koolerbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:34 AM   #7 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
alen51 is on a distinguished road
Should I buy this 1997 BMW M3?

I am looking at a 97 BMW M3 and debating on whether or not to purchase it. It is priced at $4,000 and has 197,000 miles on it. The car is in great condition and looks great. I talked to the owners and it had only one previous owner, a couple in their forties that took good care of it.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
n00b

Car:
Photos:
jdalessio01 is on a distinguished road
my friend has a 95 m3 w/ stormtrooper paint job. its an amazing machine and is (or at least should) be respected by any bimmer enthusiast. The thing rips pretty hard for its age. he has to replace the motor because it had too many miles and blew out. make sure you have receipts and check everything yourself before purchasing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
jdalessio01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)