1997 M3. Should I buy it? Help - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-19-2013, 11:39 PM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
norcalbmw4 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
1997 M3. Should I buy it? Help

I figured you guys would give me the best advice.

I have the opportunity to buy a 1997 BMW M3 for $1,000.

Here is the details:

Bad:
197k miles
Salvaged Title
Doesn't have a lot of service records

Good:
Very clean exterior and interior
Seen the CarFax. No red flags besides the salvaged title.

My question is...is the unknown worth the risk at $1,000? I would use it as a commuter car and probably put 1500-1800 miles a month on it. I would love to get 1-2 years of use out of it. But I know if one big repair is needed I'm SOL.

What do you guys think I should do?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 09:58 AM
4DoorWhore

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Lord Vader is on a distinguished road
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

Why is it a Salvage Title? Are you able to register it and drive it with a Salvage Title?

197k is nothing to these cars if well maintained. But if you have no service records then thats kinda hard to determine. However I will tell you that you could easily make back your $1,000 by parting it out should something go wrong.

Their is a ton of stuff you can get good money for if in good shape. People like swapping in M steering wheels, M gauge clusters, M brakes, and of course M seats into their non M vehicles. Ive parted out an E36 before and if your patient you will make good money, but again, it can take time to completley part out.

Your pics didnt work btw, do you have a link to the for sale ad?

Personally, I would buy it. I would potentially try to talk him down as much as possible if you can, but if not $1,000 is still a good deal.

ProjectTechnik.com - Alberta based BMW Community
See My car on Project Technik HERE!

And Follow Me on Instagram @E36M52

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club! Paint Code #343

| OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Max Velocity GTR Lip | Euro ZKW Projector Headlights | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | 18x8 ASA AR1's | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
#3 (permalink) Old 08-23-2013, 12:33 PM
n00b

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
norcalbmw4 is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Vader View Post
Welcome to Bimmerwerkz.

Why is it a Salvage Title? Are you able to register it and drive it with a Salvage Title?

197k is nothing to these cars if well maintained. But if you have no service records then thats kinda hard to determine. However I will tell you that you could easily make back your $1,000 by parting it out should something go wrong.

Their is a ton of stuff you can get good money for if in good shape. People like swapping in M steering wheels, M gauge clusters, M brakes, and of course M seats into their non M vehicles. Ive parted out an E36 before and if your patient you will make good money, but again, it can take time to completley part out.

Your pics didnt work btw, do you have a link to the for sale ad?

Personally, I would buy it. I would potentially try to talk him down as much as possible if you can, but if not $1,000 is still a good deal.
Lord Vader,

Here are some texts I got from him this morning:

"The ASC was removed for the obd1 intake manifold conversion. The ABS light is on as well bcus it was wired with the ASC assembly. But fully functional. Water pump and serpentine belt are due. The rear struts are rough now and could use a bushing refresh. I wouldn't have a problem letting it go for your offer of $3,800. Only problem is I'd be paying $800 out of pocket to meet your offer and the banks balance."

Any more thoughts on price, etc?

Last edited by norcalbmw4; 08-23-2013 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)