00 E39 M5 Question on engine sound - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6) General M-Series Discussion - If it does not fit into a more specific M Category above, please place it in here. In addition, previously archived M-Series discussion is located in this section.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 07:42 AM
1st Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
(Thread Starter)
00 E39 M5 Question on engine sound

The other day when a neighbor was standing next to it he commented that my car sounded like a deisel engine as it was idling. He actually thought it was a deisel powered car. He knows nothing of BMW of course :-). But ya I'd have to agree with him it does sound like a deisel engine at idle. This is not exhaust noise. Behind the car at the exhaust it sounds like a normal M5. It doesn't matter if the engine is hot, cold, been driving a while or just started. It sounds like a deisel when standing in front or next to the front of the car.

I've not stood next to another E39 M5 in a very very long time so I have nothing to compare. Next time I have the car out I'd be willing to make an MP3 if any here think it would be worthwhile to determine if there is an issue or if it is normal.

-Trev
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-27-2005, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
It is probably the clicking noise of the VANOS system. Once in a while you need to change the filter of that unit otherwise there can be a lack of oil whereafter the system can get damaged.

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
#3 (permalink) Old 09-28-2005, 04:31 PM
1st Gear Member

Trevize will become famous soon enough Trevize will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to Trevize
(Thread Starter)
This filter is or is not part of the Inspection II service?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchbmw
It is probably the clicking noise of the VANOS system. Once in a while you need to change the filter of that unit otherwise there can be a lack of oil whereafter the system can get damaged.
#4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2005, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute dutchbmw has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to dutchbmw
I actually don't know if it is in the inspection II service. A BMW mechanicer told me about it. It's located in the red circle in the attached image. Probably it is the same on the M5 engine, but I'm not sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	M3 - 011.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	22143  

BMW '96 M3 (SOLD)
June 2005 Car Of The Month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque
I was just dropped off here by aliens one day. They got bored with me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > BMW Model Specific Forums > M-Series (M1, M3, M5, M6)