what it takes to turbo? - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 10:44 AM
n00b

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
heartbreaker is on a distinguished road
(Thread Starter)
what it takes to turbo?

i want to add a lot of horspower to my car. i am not sure what all i need to do first to protect my engine from blowing up when i do. can someone tell the steps i need to take to turbo?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 03-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
#3 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:04 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
i am referring to the cylinders and pistons and such. not the turbo kit itself.i know i would need to buy a whole kit and everything.
#4 (permalink) Old 03-09-2007, 08:30 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
What kind of power do you want to make?

things like a different headgasket, larger fuel pump, reinforced subframe, diff support, etc.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 12:27 PM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
like a stage 2 active autowerkz i am thinking. this brought a 240hp M3 to like 400+hp. i am thiknin it could give me 350hp? not and expert on turbos. but another concern of mine is the compression. does anybody know what what compression on a 93' 325IS is?if its 10:1 or more ill have to bring it down to nine before i add a turbo. other wise if its a high compression engine i could go with the supercharged method. avoiding new piston etc. would be best.
#6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2007, 01:03 PM
my car is red

94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of 94BMW325i has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to 94BMW325i Send a message via Yahoo to 94BMW325i
as long as you are not boosting too high you can turbo your car on stock internals, change the headgasket and a few other things. There is a guy on bimmerforums who made his own kit and I think he is at around 8 or 9 psi.

member and partial creator of pimpin the auto club
#7 (permalink) Old 03-12-2007, 01:55 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Our engines can hold low boost fine (up to 8.5 psi) but anything above that would require lowering compression. The msot common way of doing this is a thicker headgasket. Anything 450+ rwhp i'd recommend a real engine build with low compression pistons and stronger rods for durability in the long run. If you actually look at the stage II kit you'd see it comes with a thicker headgasket and appropriate head bolts.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#8 (permalink) Old 03-22-2007, 08:31 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
to be honest with you, and i know you dont want to hear this, but ask any racer out there, the main component in making your car faster is not power, but losing weight... and hate to say it but you have added alot of weight to your car that is going to slow you alot... to be honest youve probibly made your car slower by doing your mod's countering out your performance mods already...

*Gull wing (Lambo) Doors
* Custom Comaro Hood scoop
* Acura NSX side vents
*HP Evo 18x8 Hyper Silver Rims ( how much do these weigh?? For every added rotating lb you add is like adding 10 sitting lb’s to your car…)
*Lot of blue interior lights 12” and 18”
* 1 Audiobahn A2200HCT 1600 RMS Amplifier
* 2 Audiobahn A4004T 400 RMS Amplifier
* 2 Audiobahn ACS2093N 400 RMS 6x9”
* 2 Audiobahn ACS2063N Kick panels 6.5”
* 3 Audiobahn AW120T 700 RMS Subs in Custom Fiberglass enclosed
* 2 Pioneer TS-A6991R 6x9” 450 Max watts
* 1 Audiobahn Equalizer runs 3 Amps with DVD output
* Custom trunk FG enclose

are all mods that you can remove and save weight... also remember that scoops are going to kill your aerodynamics... thus slowing acceleration... lemme know if you want any advice or help with anything... your rims, i havent looked up to what they weigh, but they may be lighter then stock, in which you would have improved performance... they just seem big so thats why i thought they may be in excess... forgive me if i'm wrong...
#9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2007, 03:23 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
wow, thanks for all the advise. and definetly no offence taken. heres the scoop.
the lambo doors i just cant take off. the hinges are to permenently in there. the subs and heavy enclosure i have already taken out. i am putting the system in right and am going to try and make it as light a possible. as with the rims. they are very light wieght. i have taken them on and off many time and the seem very light. and the whole hood is the first thiing a am replacing because the hood scoop looks nasty anyways, even if it wasnt creating drag. i am getting a c/f hood, wich would help. but beside all the extras you pointed out, is the anything else i can do to lighten the car? thanks again.
#10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 01:00 AM
Pandemonium Director

nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute nukeduster has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to nukeduster Send a message via MSN to nukeduster
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185
to be honest with you, and i know you dont want to hear this, but ask any racer out there, the main component in making your car faster is not power, but losing weight... and hate to say it but you have added alot of weight to your car that is going to slow you alot... to be honest youve probibly made your car slower by doing your mod's countering out your performance mods already...

*Gull wing (Lambo) Doors
* Acura NSX side vents
*HP Evo 18x8 Hyper Silver Rims ( how much do these weigh?? For every added rotating lb you add is like adding 10 sitting lb’s to your car…)

are all mods that you can remove and save weight... also remember that scoops are going to kill your aerodynamics... thus slowing acceleration... lemme know if you want any advice or help with anything... your rims, i havent looked up to what they weigh, but they may be lighter then stock, in which you would have improved performance... they just seem big so thats why i thought they may be in excess... forgive me if i'm wrong...
Also, the proximity of the weight to its rotational axis directly has an effect on its moment of inertia. In other words: a bigger wheel that weighs 18 lbs will still be slower to make speed movement changes then a 16" wheel of the same weight, esp given the weight is focused more and more inward.

Translation: if you want speed, and braking actually: lose the wheels, go smaller. I'd never go any bigger then 17 unless I HAD to in order to clear brakes.

The m50 block's bottom end can handle 600+whp without changing anything other then a headgasket, ive seen lots of examples of this. its ALL in the tuning.. ive seen plenty blow @ 300hp.. and plenty go on to live 12k+ (so far) miles on 400-600+whp because of good tuning.

#11 (permalink) Old 03-25-2007, 02:00 PM
Sodium Chloride

saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold saltshaker185 is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to saltshaker185 Send a message via MSN to saltshaker185
http://www.bimmerwerkz.com/forum/3-s...ight+reduction

theres alot of info on weight savings in that thread... your biggest savings are going to be with roational mass of course, but im pretty sure you already got that concept... if your still confused try searching sprung weight on the site and youll get some info on it... that link has alot of small places that weight hides but really just look at your car and think, "what on here is going to slow my car down aero dynamicly (where air can pocket and stuff or just not flow smoothly)" and also what have you put in it that may have slowed it down, how light are your seats? you could probibly go lighter if u wanted...even if you do a brake job, take the rotors into effect, (rotational mass)... things like your battery make a difference too... batterys weigh a shit load, so maybe look into a performance one that saves weight and stuff ig you need a new one...

lemme know if you have any more questions...
#12 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 05:56 PM
ex owner/admin

Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious Furious
Send a message via AIM to Furious
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltshaker185

*Gull wing (Lambo) Doors
* Acura NSX side vents

I wouldnt really listen to whats said here. yes weight saving is a good way to get a good power/weight ratio but most of your list is tolerable. the gull wings im not sure how much they weight vesus the standard door but i cant see it being that much more can it?

audio systems are a must for a showcar

HP evos are not heavy.

i kind of understand what direction your trying to go and if i were you id go with a good stage 2 or more kit turbo. it will supply what you need to keep your engine safe.

#13 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:42 AM
n00b

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious
I wouldnt really listen to whats said here. yes weight saving is a good way to get a good power/weight ratio but most of your list is tolerable. the gull wings im not sure how much they weight vesus the standard door but i cant see it being that much more can it?

HP evos are not heavy.

i kind of understand what direction your trying to go and if i were you id go with a good stage 2 or more kit turbo. it will supply what you need to keep your engine safe.
thanks bud, good advice.
#14 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 12:57 AM
/Banned

preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash preyash
Send a message via AIM to preyash Send a message via MSN to preyash Send a message via Yahoo to preyash
It takes some very deep pockets.:lol:
#15 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 03:23 AM
Keep it Copacetic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furious

HP evos are not heavy.

I agree with jsut about everything Mark says here except for the wheels comment. HP Evo's are heavy.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction