Rotrex vs. Vortech - BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com
Forced Induction Talk about turbo and superchargers.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
#1 (permalink) Old 08-27-2008, 02:56 PM
4th Gear Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to bimmerguy82
(Thread Starter)
Rotrex vs. Vortech

Looking for people with some knowledge or experience with either of these SC. Is one more reliable than the other? better performance? Specifically looking at the Rotrex C38-71 trim and the Vortech V2 SQ trim. thanks guys.

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

Founding member of the hit 145 mph in my almost stock 325i BMW club.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 09:30 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Teh Prof
Well, I have the V2SQ in my 540.

It can't be started in ambient temperatures below 25 degrees fahrenheit or it will die unless you get the Dinan one which has custom internals that don't fail in this way.

Mine also failed very shortly after install--there was a bad batch; RoadsterMadness's failed very quickly too.

I have no knowledge about Rotrex units.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

1995 E38 740i. Highly modded. Faster than you.

Sold 2-28-07: 1997 E36 M3/4, 8-30-05 RIP 1997 528i

Lindsay fan club member.
#3 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:29 PM
4th Gear Member

bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute bimmerguy82 has a reputation beyond repute
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Well, I have the V2SQ in my 540.

It can't be started in ambient temperatures below 25 degrees fahrenheit or it will die unless you get the Dinan one which has custom internals that don't fail in this way.

Mine also failed very shortly after install--there was a bad batch; RoadsterMadness's failed very quickly too.

I have no knowledge about Rotrex units.
Ok. Do you think they solved that problem with the bad batch? Is yours working well now, and performs well?

BMWcrazy

|AA stage 1 software| UUC light flywheel and clutch| UUC EVO 3 ssk | K&N Intake | Ebay Headers |

BMWCCA member#407674

#4 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 06:05 PM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of Teh Prof has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerguy82 View Post
Ok. Do you think they solved that problem with the bad batch? Is yours working well now, and performs well?
Yes, and yes.

1999 E39 540i/6-VF Stage 1 S/C, Dinan exhaust, Dinan strut+shock braces, Dinan ltwt flywheel + clutch, Dinan Brembo BBK, Dinan monoball, H&R Springs, Koni Yellows, M5 sways, Dinan forged 18" wheels, &c.

Lindsay fan club member.
#5 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 01:30 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks Nathaniel.

BMWcrazy

BMWCCA member#407674

#6 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 08:34 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

Heeeeey hire durrin'...

Lindsay fan club member.
#7 (permalink) Old 08-30-2008, 01:35 PM
Im Bluffin With My Muffin

AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold AlpineSixAndSeven is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to AlpineSixAndSeven
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh Prof View Post
Heeeeey hire durrin'...
were you still drunk when you posted

1991 Ford Taurs SHO 5 Speed White on Tan
1996 Chevy Lumina LTZ Rep 3.4L
1992 318i Coupe parts car
1992 325i Ls1 swap with a T56 6 speed 12.2 quarter mile
1976 Mercedes Benz 300D with a Ford 5.0L Fuel Injected soon to be Modded
I am Captain Obvious
#8 (permalink) Old 09-03-2008, 03:47 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Probably going with the Vortech then, unless I can finds a good TS application.

BMWcrazy

BMWCCA member#407674

#9 (permalink) Old 09-11-2008, 06:40 PM
Keep it Copacetic

///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute ///M Power has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to ///M Power
By find a good TS application I think you really mean find a cheaper TS.

Vortech would be my recommendation, because too much power is never enough power. From my limited knowledge of the SC units, my understanding is that the Rotrex unit has minimal headroom for more power, unlike the Vortech unit.

1995 BMW M3 Turbo - Dakar/Black
#10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 01:06 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
Tread carefully my friend. An expensive and unsure road you embark upon. Bear in mind also that Vortech is using the SQ3's quite a bit now and that other SC set up's have a steeper torque curve if you are looking for more off the line explosion as opposed to late in the game, high rev power (mine is raring to go at extremely high speed - bigest boost lives there which is a lot less practical outside the track...). There is mixed opinion on the using it in 25 degree temps being a problem or not (apparently the official materials say yes from Vortech but my mechanic says bull. I will keep mine inside for the winter in at least a partially heated garage to avoid any issues and will assess the space to see if I can squeeze señor Prof into a spot next to teh Roadster (once I break the inside wall on taking title and reestablish the 2 car garage, I will see if we can possibly park side by side and fit with teh wife's 328 still clear to come and go daily from the main spot in front of the door. More on this as it develops but would be cool and great for Nathaniel and the Dinan 5. We shall see.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#11 (permalink) Old 09-12-2008, 08:18 AM
I am Teh Edumacator.

You're not kidding. And I will be SO GRATEFUL.

I hate the parking shuffle. Why oh why do they have to pretend to clean the streets around here?

MPower, what exactly is the headroom for the Vortech unit?

Lindsay fan club member.
#12 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 03:39 AM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadsterMadness View Post
Tread carefully my friend. An expensive and unsure road you embark upon. Bear in mind also that Vortech is using the SQ3's quite a bit now and that other SC set up's have a steeper torque curve if you are looking for more off the line explosion as opposed to late in the game, high rev power (mine is raring to go at extremely high speed - bigest boost lives there which is a lot less practical outside the track...). There is mixed opinion on the using it in 25 degree temps being a problem or not (apparently the official materials say yes from Vortech but my mechanic says bull. I will keep mine inside for the winter in at least a partially heated garage to avoid any issues and will assess the space to see if I can squeeze señor Prof into a spot next to teh Roadster (once I break the inside wall on taking title and reestablish the 2 car garage, I will see if we can possibly park side by side and fit with teh wife's 328 still clear to come and go daily from the main spot in front of the door. More on this as it develops but would be cool and great for Nathaniel and the Dinan 5. We shall see.
Where does your torque curve come in at? what other units have the lower/steeper curve? I'm looking for something that compliments the mid 3500-5500 rpm range. Or if the world was a perfect place something that has full boost at 1500-6500 rpm.

BMWcrazy

BMWCCA member#407674

#13 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 07:54 AM
A NEW DAY RISES...

RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of RoadsterMadness has much to be proud of
I've heard good things as to the torque curve of the Active Autowerke SC (but also some occasional minor electrical issues, but a solid performer). My boost really kicks in at higher speeds and RPM's. It is there at lower one's just only at 2-3 psi. As you gain speed and the RPM's get over 4500 you feel it much more. For a really low end boost, I think you may need a turbo...SC is a very linear powr curve, building gradually, and with 6 psi spread over the RPM's' you really feel most of it strongly later. Once you are really moving, it is a rocket ship, full torque etc in 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th all the way to red line.

2008 ///M5 with Eisenmann race exhaust "Athena"
2013 VOLKSWAGEN Tiguan 2L Turbo
RIP 2005 Dinan ///M3 S3-R+ Vert w/hardtop- 6-speed, DINAN SC - race kit, race headers, etc.
RIP 2002 Z3 Roadster 2.5i - VF Supercharged, 5-speed, Brembos etc.
Turkey ///M Car Fleet Commander
TINA FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
#14 (permalink) Old 09-15-2008, 04:10 PM
4th Gear Member

(Thread Starter)
Well that sounds about what i'm looking for. I'm not trying to have 300hp at 1500 rpms by any means. just something that has a nice boost to the normal bmw power band i guess. i can adjust the gear i'm in if i need to tap into the power. i was just hoping you weren't going to say you only get power at like 6500 rpm or higher. thanks RM

BMWcrazy

BMWCCA member#407674

#15 (permalink) Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 AM
1st Gear Member

crawlermonkey is on a distinguished road
Question Rms Super Charger.

Ok I thought I would just post here since this is thread is what I was looking for. Here is my questions.

. Does anyone know anything about the RMS version of the vf-engineering s/c kit?

My friend told me a about a guy here in seattle who has one with 8,000 miles on it and it is for sale. It doesn't come with injectors or software but those two items should be easy to acquire. We have been in comunication and we seem to have settle around 2,200 for a price. He said he would pay for shipping but being as we live in the same area i would just go get it. He really wants me to come look at it first. Which is reasonable because i want to see it first myself. I would not be personally going to look at it being as i am in the navy and am currently out sailing the ocean blue. My Father is a mechanic and i am having him take a look at it for me. Basically what I am trying to say is what is your opinion on this case?

Ich fürchte mich nicht
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

BMW Forum - BimmerWerkz.com > General Category > Forced Induction